Move to US from UK and searching for work

Wikiposts

Move to US from UK and searching for work

Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Vento is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to US from UK and searching for work

Originally Posted by Bob
I had a mate working for Bentley for a while and he had no luck looking for work here and another mate working for Audi and BMW working on interiors to the concept stuff and get no luck with transfers or a company transfer, weren't niche enough and having 5 years experience wasn't enough for Audi or BMW to entertain the idea.

Might have more luck if you were in the research side of things such as renewable power.

Masters in the US take 2 years if doing it full time. I don't know how much most charge, but the masters my wife did through Kings College London was £3.5K a year part time over 3 years, the same at North Eastern in Boston would have been $20K a year for tuition alone and another place in PA was $35K a year but that place was private with a scholarship.
Hi there,

The only reasearch I have done is R&D. I have never worked for a car company before. All the work I have done is with engineering companies in the mechanical and manufacturing business sector.

The Uni I have got into is also KCL and is in the top 10 for my course in the UK. They are charging £4400 for the year (Only 1 yr course) But the rent will cost about £6000 if I stay in Strands area, so thats already £10400 even before adding the other costs.

I will really start to think about going to US to complete my masters now. Seems like the best way and gives me 2 years to live out there. Sounds like fun to me
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of
Default Re: Move to US from UK and searching for work

Originally Posted by Vento
Hi there,

The only reasearch I have done is R&D. I have never worked for a car company before. All the work I have done is with engineering companies in the mechanical and manufacturing business sector.

The Uni I have got into is also KCL and is in the top 10 for my course in the UK. They are charging £4400 for the year (Only 1 yr course) But the rent will cost about £6000 if I stay in Strands area, so thats already £10400 even before adding the other costs.

I will really start to think about going to US to complete my masters now. Seems like the best way and gives me 2 years to live out there. Sounds like fun to me
And, you will be able to work a few hours in the US (on campus) for research etc in your second year (up to 20 hrs, I believe). After your masters, you could also work in the US for 12 or possibly 29 months on an F1 OPT. I think it is a great way to network with potential employers here so you can get the visa ball rolling. GL.