Wikiposts

Move Home

Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:17 am
Just Joined

essex47 has a spectacular aura aboutessex47 has a spectacular aura aboutessex47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Move Home

My wife and I are thinking about buying a caravan and traveling about the country for a few months before settling down permanently in Norfolk. We would appreciate hearing any yay or nays about this idea as well as any suggestions on where to go to make this idea work.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move Home

Price of petrol might be a huge con for this idea but it sounds wonderful. Just as an aside I would love one day to do the canal boats along England's waterways. My friend who lives in US (expat like me) did this for the first time w/her famly and loved it.. It might be another consideration for you..
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:13 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essex47
My wife and I are thinking about buying a caravan and traveling about the country for a few months before settling down permanently in Norfolk. We would appreciate hearing any yay or nays about this idea as well as any suggestions on where to go to make this idea work.
I think it's a brilliant idea. I hope to do the same one day although it's not practical when we first move back as we'll be taking our cats. But they're older now - once they pass away, I'd love to travel the country staying in different places. There's so much to see and do in Britain. I'm envious!

One piece of advice - go north! So many people miss out on some of the most beautiful places on earth. Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales is a must. Write it down - you'll thank me one day
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great idea to me. And while the price of petrol is something to think about, it doesn't have to be a major issue, because your weekly or monthly mileage doesn't have to be that high, especially if you carry bicycles with you and/or use the local buses a lot at each destination.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm guessing you'd still probably pay less in petrol and site fees than you would on rent, council tax and utilities

I think it's a fantastic idea!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:39 am
Just Joined

essex47 has a spectacular aura aboutessex47 has a spectacular aura aboutessex47 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dashie
And I'm guessing you'd still probably pay less in petrol and site fees than you would on rent, council tax and utilities

I think it's a fantastic idea!
That was our thought as well! I'm glad to see that perhaps we aren't being totally naive. :-) We have family members and friends in various parts of the country so we won't be "roughing it" all of the time Thank you for the input!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think it's a brilliant idea. I hope to do the same one day although it's not practical when we first move back as we'll be taking our cats. But they're older now - once they pass away, I'd love to travel the country staying in different places. There's so much to see and do in Britain. I'm envious!

One piece of advice - go north! So many people miss out on some of the most beautiful places on earth. Swaledale in the Yorkshire Dales is a must. Write it down - you'll thank me one day
We'll be picking up our caravan just outside of Doncaster and then visiting with family near Sheffield and Huddersfield, so we'll just point the nose north from there and head for Swaledale which I have now added to our "must see" list. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
Sounds like a great idea to me. And while the price of petrol is something to think about, it doesn't have to be a major issue, because your weekly or monthly mileage doesn't have to be that high, especially if you carry bicycles with you and/or use the local buses a lot at each destination.
We had thought about taking bicycles and now have decided that indeed, yes, that will be the way to go. It's great that we are getting such positive feed back on this idea. Everything I've seen of England (this is the wife, Terri the American speaking :-) ) I've loved but there is so much more I want to see. The caravan prior to settling down is such a tempting thought. I think that we are definitely going forward with this plan. Thank you!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually met a couple (while at the local costa coffee) who had come through the "Peaks" from Lincolnshire, heading over to Wales, going down to Devon and Cornwall then back to Lincolnshire...all this on a lovely big motorbike (wife as a passanger) and pre booked B&B's, the couple were in their 55's and as they drove off into the Sun (yes, was a lovely day yesterday..we do have them lol) I was already planning our route..lol...cannot really think of why not to do something you want to do except expense, petrol/diesel might cost you more but all depends on your car size of caravan and there are always deals on fuel etc (vouchers, offers etc) good luck ps I might be biased but I think the U.K has some wonderful countryside etc
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:29 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be picking up our caravan just outside of Doncaster and then visiting with family near Sheffield and Huddersfield, so we'll just point the nose north from there and head for Swaledale which I have now added to our "must see" list. Thank you for the suggestion.
I am so jealous!!

If you will be heading north from Sheffield/Huddersfield, go up from Ilkley through the Dales all the way to Hawes and then turn right and head for Swaledale. The whole drive is amazing but it just gets better and better until you get there. Muker and Gunnerside used to have nice pubs - don't know if they're still there.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I am so jealous!!

If you will be heading north from Sheffield/Huddersfield, go up from Ilkley through the Dales all the way to Hawes and then turn right and head for Swaledale. The whole drive is amazing but it just gets better and better until you get there. Muker and Gunnerside used to have nice pubs - don't know if they're still there.
Me too Sally, would'nt it be great to travel all through the UK, I would do it in a moment, but my OH thinks otherwise, I swear I still have itchy feet, I love seeing different places, how people live, the history of the places, I should have been born a millionaire I honestly would not have a problem spending it