More dog questions!

Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

jomill1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More dog questions!

Hi
Hope someone can help - I've done a quick search of previous posts and can't find anything to answer this question. I've also had a very unhelpful answer from Defra which doesn't fill me with hope!

Basically we moved to Canada with our dog in November 2009 after a rabies vaccination. He has been microchipped for six years. I am now returning to the UK and so my dog has just had a satisfactory blood test - but according to Defra's rules, I am still required to wait for 6 months before I can bring him back to the UK. Why, why why???? Surely if the blood test is satisfactory at this stage, it means the rabies vaccination was successful at the time and he has been covered since the vaccination in 2009.

What will change in the next 6 months while we wait in Canada? He isn't due for a rabies booster in this time so whatever immunity he has had since November 2009 will remain the same, and that is deemed to be satisfactory by the blood test.

I know rules are rules but does anyone know of a way round this? Defra's response was to send me back word for word what was on their website. I also rang them and spoke to someone who sympathised but couldn't help.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: More dog questions!

If you didn't get a Pet Passport before leaving the UK then you have to go through the whole nine yards to get him back there. This is why there are many posts on here that advise getting one before you leave. As long as you then keep up the rabies you are good to go. There is no way around it. Sorry.