Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

More coming back from Canada?

More coming back from Canada?

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:07 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default More coming back from Canada?

It may be just the threads I'm reading -- though I usually look at nearly all the new ones. But when I joined the board nearly all the posts were about coming back from Australia -- and it was certainly an education about OZ.

Now there seem to be mostly people coming back from Canada. I'm wondering if there's some special reason. Exchange rate?

Bev
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:10 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: More coming back from Canada?

Originally Posted by Bevm
It may be just the threads I'm reading -- though I usually look at nearly all the new ones. But when I joined the board nearly all the posts were about coming back from Australia -- and it was certainly an education about OZ.

Now there seem to be mostly people coming back from Canada. I'm wondering if there's some special reason. Exchange rate?

Bev
Boredom and communist BC!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Redneck Alberta
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Could get worse. The banks are suggesting a US style housing housing crash but Flaherty does not want to hear it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1458585/
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

BC= Bring Cash, Barely Competent, Basically Corrupt, Beautiful Countryside. Oh don't forget PST = Paradise Subsidy Tax.....or am I getting to be a cynic in my old age?

I think it's also a case of a big house and a nice view do not a life make and also that it's not as cheap to live in Canada or Australia as everyone thinks. I've been watching a few of the Oz emmigration programs like the one with Phil Spencer and the revisited one with Nicky Chapman and the big house/nice view piece seems to play a really large part. Haven't seen the other side of the coin on these shows yet but that probably wouldn't help with the ratings (there's that cynic again).
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:47 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ciderman
BC= Bring Cash, Barely Competent, Basically Corrupt, Beautiful Countryside. Oh don't forget PST = Paradise Subsidy Tax.....or am I getting to be a cynic in my old age?

I think it's also a case of a big house and a nice view do not a life make and also that it's not as cheap to live in Canada or Australia as everyone thinks. I've been watching a few of the Oz emmigration programs like the one with Phil Spencer and the revisited one with Nicky Chapman and the big house/nice view piece seems to play a really large part. Haven't seen the other side of the coin on these shows yet but that probably wouldn't help with the ratings (there's that cynic again).
Barely competent, basically corrupt. Sounds to me very much like the one eyed Scottish idiot's government that you have in the UK. Among a seemingly endless list of screwups and waste you have MPs ripping you off with phony expenses

PST, HST, yes we pay those. You don't pay VAT in the UK ? What is the percentage of VAT ? More than HST I would bet. Well I know it is.

You, a cynic in your old age ? Surly not.

Slagging off Canada but with the benefit of Canadian Citizenship in your back pocket !!

You took that just on case the grass wasn't greener on the other side. Don't say that you'd already paid the fees. You don't get citizenship overnight and you knew you wanted to leave well before you took it.

If Canada is so bad to you and causes you so much anguish why don't you renounce your Citizenship ?

A tad hypocritical methinks with a ton of sour grapes thrown in for good measure.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnh009
Could get worse. The banks are suggesting a US style housing housing crash but Flaherty does not want to hear it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1458585/
I read this week's Maclean's Mag and there's a big article on the future financial horrors ahead. I want my house on the market fast and work out how much we're willing to lose!

Last edited by lilybilly101; Feb 8th 2010 at 4:02 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:06 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Ciderman

It's not just some 'cynical' Brits that think this. My husband nearly choked on his porridge laughing at this so thank you for providing a much needed laugh thi morning!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Barely competent, basically corrupt. Sounds to me very much like the one eyed Scottish idiot's government that you have in the UK. Among a seemingly endless list of screwups and waste you have MPs ripping you off with phony expenses

PST, HST, yes we pay those. You don't pay VAT in the UK ? What is the percentage of VAT ? More than HST I would bet. Well I know it is.

You, a cynic in your old age ? Surly not.

Slagging off Canada but with the benefit of Canadian Citizenship in your back pocket !!

You took that just on case the grass wasn't greener on the other side. Don't say that you'd already paid the fees. You don't get citizenship overnight and you knew you wanted to leave well before you took it.

If Canada is so bad to you and causes you so much anguish why don't you renounce your Citizenship ?

A tad hypocritical methinks with a ton of sour grapes thrown in for good measure.
And there's me thinking the Brits & Canada was Tight Nations

Maybe to much French there to make the brits Happy Huh
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:48 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I read this week's Maclean's Mag and there's a big article on the future financial horrors ahead. I want my house on the market fast and work out how much we're willing to lose!
I must admit that I haven't read MacLean's Mag lately but I do read Private Eye regularly. If you want to talk about "future financial horrors ahead" have a look at what is happening in the UK. Billions and billions of pounds of PFI schemes that are yet to come out of the woodwork. The disastrous attempt at privatization of military training and loads of other horror stories. Not to worry, just print more money.
If Canada is heading for trouble then it's way behind the UK as far as the impact on Joe Public.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

I must admit that I haven't read MacLean's Mag lately but I do read Private Eye regularly. If you want to talk about "future financial horrors ahead" have a look at what is happening in the UK. Billions and billions of pounds of PFI schemes that are yet to come out of the woodwork. The disastrous attempt at privatization of military training and loads of other horror stories. Not to worry, just print more money.
If Canada is heading for trouble then it's way behind the UK as far as the impact on Joe Public.
Yes, that's about it, the politicians screw up and the only way they know how to get out of it is to print more money. I think consumer debt is an issue facing most western countries and who knows where it is all going to end. I know in the UK, consumer debt has risen 150% in the past 10 years. I do not know the figures for Canada and the US but the sub-prime fiasco should have been a warning to all. I am waiting to see what happens when interest rates rise.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:14 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Tolerance and understanding folks, tollerance and understanding.

Lets not have another thread that becomes argumentative.... people have their reasons for returning to the UK, as long as they gave it a good go, more than that is not really important....
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Look on the bright side. If things get that bad, we can always go to Buffalo and buy a house for less than US$5000, quite central too:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...149?source=web
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:59 pm
Lost in Space

I'm sure. Just a little concerned about selling my house and getting a decent price to escape with. I think it's fairly gloomy the world over eh but Canada has been projecting an imagine of, 'We're doing fine...keep spending' and that appears to not be the case.

I won't be rushing into buying in the UK either. We'll wait a year or so until we feel more confident in the market and know exactly where we want to be.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:08 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yes, that's about it, the politicians screw up and the only way they know how to get out of it is to print more money. I think consumer debt is an issue facing most western countries and who knows where it is all going to end. I know in the UK, consumer debt has risen 150% in the past 10 years. I do not know the figures for Canada and the US but the sub-prime fiasco should have been a warning to all. I am waiting to see what happens when interest rates rise.
Macleans -

'In the early 1990s, lines of credit were rare. Only about $4 billion had been drawn upon. Today, that figure stands at $200 billion, a staggering 4 800% increase.'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.