Reload this Page >

Mom, 77, wants to move back to England

Mom, 77, wants to move back to England

Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:22 am
RNH
Just Joined

RNH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mom, 77, wants to move back to England

Mom and dad are UK citizens. Dad passed-away 9 years ago in US. Mom's UK passport is up to date. Mom's never worked and has lived in US continuously for past 15+ years. Mom has no medical insurance is US, a small UK pension (I guess from my dad?), no income and her sons have been "keeping her financially viable" since dad's death. One son is in UK, two in US. No health insurance in US is principal motivation to move back to UK. She's under the impression that she can board a plane to Manchester and voila, she'll have health benefits and maybe even government help with housing, food, etc. she's done no homework on finding out for sure what, if anything, she might be entitled to and my brother in the UK is doing little to get the answers. I have no idea where to start and I'm terrified that her expectations are unrealistic and moving back to England will not be the solution to her many problems. She's ready to move back next week if I'd let her but I need to know what's going to happen to her once she arrives. On arrival, her short term plan would be to live with my brother. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't even know the right questions to ask. Totally out of my depth and need solid advice. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:32 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mom, 77, wants to move back to England

Originally Posted by RNH
Mom and dad are UK citizens. Dad passed-away 9 years ago in US. Mom's UK passport is up to date. Mom's never worked and has lived in US continuously for past 15+ years. Mom has no medical insurance is US, a small UK pension (I guess from my dad?), no income and her sons have been "keeping her financially viable" since dad's death. One son is in UK, two in US. No health insurance in US is principal motivation to move back to UK. She's under the impression that she can board a plane to Manchester and voila, she'll have health benefits and maybe even government help with housing, food, etc. she's done no homework on finding out for sure what, if anything, she might be entitled to and my brother in the UK is doing little to get the answers. I have no idea where to start and I'm terrified that her expectations are unrealistic and moving back to England will not be the solution to her many problems. She's ready to move back next week if I'd let her but I need to know what's going to happen to her once she arrives. On arrival, her short term plan would be to live with my brother. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't even know the right questions to ask. Totally out of my depth and need solid advice. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi,

British Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately. But expats must pay up if they are simply on a visit/holiday/vacation to the UK.

See more here: Expats Beware – You Now Have To Pay For NHS Treatment - World of Expats - Expatriate Advice

Good luck!

JC3
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RNH
As the previous post states, she will be eligible for full NHS care as soon as she arrives in Britain, if her intention is to settle in Britain. She can also get a bus pass from the local authority. And, the way you describe the situation, you and your siblings have been helping her out financially on an ongoing basis, so no change there.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

Once she is back in UK she will get free healthcare from the day she arrives, she just has to register with a local GP. She may be entitled to pension credit if her pension is low, the best way to find out what benefits she will be able to claim is to make an appointment with the Citizens Advice centre where she will be living. She will be able to apply to the local council for social housing but there will be a long wait, if she can't stay with her son then maybe a private rental would work for her. My parents returned to UK just last year and they are now well settled and enjoying being home!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's all here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...ming-benefits/
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

All the stuff about NHS access is correct, but why does your mum not have access to Medicare in the US. That sounds weird to me.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:41 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
All the stuff about NHS access is correct, but why does your mum not have access to Medicare in the US. That sounds weird to me.
Is Medicare access tied to Social Security eligibility? Either through your own work record, your spouses record, OR through your own Social Security disability claim?

I thought it was weird that Mom wasn't drawing on Dad's Social Security. But it appears he may have died before he earned 40 quarters of work (if he worked in the US at all).

Mom may be eligible for Medicaid, depending on her US state of residence.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:54 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Is Medicare access tied to Social Security eligibility? Either through your own work record, your spouses record, OR through your own Social Security disability claim?

I thought it was weird that Mom wasn't drawing on Dad's Social Security. But it appears he may have died before he earned 40 quarters of work (if he worked in the US at all).

Mom may be eligible for Medicaid, depending on her US state of residence.
It sounds as if the US options haven't been fully explored. As your mum is 77 and has lived in the US (presumably legally) se can qualify for Medicare, but might new to pay extra premiums depending on her or her spouses SS record.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

To get Pension Credit (the name of the means-tested age benefit) she will have to pass the "Habitual Residence Test". Get advice from a competent Welfare Rights Adviser like Age Concern.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 5:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
To get Pension Credit (the name of the means-tested age benefit) she will have to pass the "Habitual Residence Test". Get advice from a competent Welfare Rights Adviser like Age Concern.
Providing the move is permanently the OP's mother will meet the HRT after three months of residence.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 5:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
It sounds as if the US options haven't been fully explored. As your mum is 77 and has lived in the US (presumably legally) se can qualify for Medicare, but might new to pay extra premiums depending on her or her spouses SS record.
The way I read it from the OP, she wasn't qualified for Part A at $0 premium, not having worked sufficiently or at all. She would qualify (by residence) for paying Part A and Part B and Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement, but this is several hundred a month and perhaps she can't afford it.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Just backing up what Robin and BiP have already said. She'll get NHS care immediately, eligible for pension credit after 3 months, but finding suitable housing will be more of a challenge.

I suggest looking at the Age UK website. It has a lot of useful info on what is available for the elderly in the UK, including a benefits calculator.

Age UK also have a factsheet for over 60's returning from abroad.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RNH
Your lovely Mum is one brave lady & I love her for that.

I do hope that whatever the outcome , she finds herself in a place where she is happy, healthy ; feels safe and cared for & more than that, she feels is 'home'.

At 77 , having moved country at 65, she more than deserves that.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:53 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

I do hope that whatever the outcome , she finds herself in a place where she is happy, healthy ; feels safe and cared for & more than that, she feels is 'home'.

77-15=62
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:54 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by BEVS

Amen to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.