Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone Provider question

Mobile Phone Provider question

Old Feb 14th 2024, 2:45 am
Just Joined

SkiBoySpouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Mobile Phone Provider question

Hi all,
I know it will entirely depend on region for who has the best coverage.... the options are overwhelming!

I'm looking at doing a sim-only deal (and has to be e-sim as I have an iPhone 15 which doesn't take physical sims) and eventually setting up internet/wifi in our home once renovations are complete. I'm trying to find some options for decent mobile providers so we can get set up quickly once we arrive (keeping our US carrier for a month or two, but it's expensive to roam indefinitely)

We are looking for:
  • something which provides decent coverage around the country since we enjoy traveling
  • Some data per month but doesn't have to be a huge amount as we are likely to use wifi for most things aside from checking maps when out and about
  • unlimited calls/texts within UK
  • inexpensive roaming in Europe (including Switzerland)( (calls, data and texts)
  • reasonable calls to Europe, Switzerland and the USA, particularly while roaming
  • not insane prices to call UK numbers to banks/airlines etc (the non-landline numbers seem to get really expensive)
  • allows visual voicemail (which rules out 3 mobile, I think, since they STILL don't allow that)
  • possible deals once we start adding in internet to our home
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? We will be in Kent, so quite a few options show good coverage in our area. Bonus for discounts for 2 sim only deals
Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phone Provider question

I know it will entirely depend on region for who has the best coverage.... the options are overwhelming!

I'm looking at doing a sim-only deal (and has to be e-sim as I have an iPhone 15 which doesn't take physical sims) and eventually setting up internet/wifi in our home once renovations are complete.
My OH has an iphone 15 with a physical sim.
I'm trying to find some options for decent mobile providers so we can get set up quickly once we arrive (keeping our US carrier for a month or two, but it's expensive to roam indefinitely)

We are looking for:
  • something which provides decent coverage around the country since we enjoy traveling
  • Most carriers in the UK provide decent coverage
  • Some data per month but doesn't have to be a huge amount as we are likely to use wifi for most things aside from checking maps when out and about
  • Smaller amounts of data are disappearing and usual minimums are now a few Gb which is good for Whatsapp video calling back to USA if needed.
  • unlimited calls/texts within UK Most offer that now
  • inexpensive roaming in Europe (including Switzerland)( (calls, data and texts)
  • Only one major provider (O2) now gives free roaming in EU. Most others have a daily charge
  • reasonable calls to Europe, Switzerland and the USA, particularly while roaming
  • For the USA use whatsapp on wifi.
  • not insane prices to call UK numbers to banks/airlines etc (the non-landline numbers seem to get really expensive)
  • Calls and texts are included
  • allows visual voicemail (which rules out 3 mobile, I think, since they STILL don't allow that) Don't know
  • possible deals once we start adding in internet to our home
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for? We will be in Kent, so quite a few options show good coverage in our area. Bonus for discounts for 2 sim only deals

Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

US iphone 15 don't have a physical SIM - the UK model does.
Not all UK providers have e-sims.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
US iphone 15 don't have a physical SIM - the UK model does.
Not all UK providers have e-sims.
Mine is a USA model without the physical SIM capability.

Is it possible to call 0845 type numbers from WhatsApp? Currently we are able to call from the USA to any UK number (aside from the Home Office Help Line) for the 'standard' roaming rate to call the UK. We have found calling the banks, and customer service helplines are not standard landlines and cost extra if you call them in the UK FROM the UK. But that could of course still be just a roaming on USA sim issue. I was only assuming it would cost extra from the 'unlimited' calls' available on a UK mobile contract.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Try giffgaff:
https://www.giffgaff.com/help/articl...im-on-giffgaff
Old Feb 14th 2024, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBoySpouse
Mine is a USA model without the physical SIM capability.

Is it possible to call 0845 type numbers from WhatsApp? Currently we are able to call from the USA to any UK number (aside from the Home Office Help Line) for the 'standard' roaming rate to call the UK. We have found calling the banks, and customer service helplines are not standard landlines and cost extra if you call them in the UK FROM the UK. But that could of course still be just a roaming on USA sim issue. I was only assuming it would cost extra from the 'unlimited' calls' available on a UK mobile contract.
I don't think I've had to phone a customer service number for about a decade in the UK, but even if you do, you can just Google for a non 0845 number so it comes under your plan.

HTH.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I know that O2 does e-sims. My daughter moved back from the USA in 2022 and has kept her US number and physical sim but added an e-sim with her UK number. (Although she is paid out of the UK she still works for the same US company and retaining her US number was important to her).

I still have a Skype account with some $'s left on the account, but I haven't had to add any money for years as any US calls I do have to make these days are US toll free numbers which are also free on Skype. These days there are plenty of options, as listed above, for calling the USA.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a UK number I have a GiffGaff eSIM, they don't have WiFi calling. I'm going to move to Tesco eSIM only monthly plan, because they do apparently, for about the same price. I keep my US number with Visible at $25/month, its a Verizon plan. My goal is to eventually dump the US plan but as I travel back to the US often and need it for banking and other stuff it is easier to have both at the moment.
Old Feb 16th 2024, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

I have an iphone 15 with dual esim with O2 as our UK provider and ATT for our US number. It works well (although retaining our US number is getting too expensive - so looking at potential porting this number to google).

I have been very pleased with O2 in UK - our plan has very good international roaming options in an impressive list of countries (including USA) . It has worked seemlessly on numerous trips and we effectively get our UK plan tariff available in these countries. I dont use it for international calling as I use other calling options.
Old Feb 16th 2024, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russet

I have been very pleased with O2 in UK - our plan has very good international roaming options in an impressive list of countries (including USA) . It has worked seemlessly on numerous trips and we effectively get our UK plan tariff available in these countries. I dont use it for international calling as I use other calling options.
This has also been our experience with O2.
Old Feb 16th 2024, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Russet
I have an iphone 15 with dual esim with O2 as our UK provider and ATT for our US number. It works well (although retaining our US number is getting too expensive - so looking at potential porting this number to google).

Thank you for that feedback!! We are now weighing up O2 vs EE. Keeping our USA number for a couple of months to get settled, but will likely cancel midsummer as not worth the extra expense.
Old Feb 17th 2024, 3:35 pm
EHM
Just Joined

EHM is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the process of moving from US to UK myself and while I was still in the US I signed up for Google Voice (VOIP solution, provides US phone numbers only.) I'm currently in the UK and have been testing it out for texting friends back in the US and it's been fine. Just need to remember to only use while I'm on wifi rather than using my mobile data. Depending on how often you think you'll need to call the US, you might want to investigate Google Voice before you leave. I'm sure there's a downside that I just haven't found yet.
For UK provider, don't forget to look at MVNOs like Lyca Mobile. They often have better deals than the big 4, especially if you don't want to lock yourself into a contract yet while you're getting settled. But not all will offer esims. As others have suggested, esims are not available with every provider yet - take a look at moneysavingexpert.com for some useful comparisons.