Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Misleading Info from Pet Travel Company?

I know there's a DEFRA thread on here but I wanted to make this topic as noticeable as poss as now the clock has started ticking for me and I potentially have a date to move back in late July.
So there is no issue with flying your pets during this time due to heat restrictions?
That's one of my concerns and have been wondering if I am just going to have to fly them in early fall instead- so I am curious what they've said to you about this?

3. I will have to get the health cert for each animal filled in and signed by a vet and (this is the part that confuses & panics me) THEN have each certificate endorsed by a USDA approved vet/person within 10 days of travel? How do I find such a person?
A lot of vets are actually USDA approved, ask your vet if they are and if not if they can recommend someone to you.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
So there is no issue with flying your pets during this time due to heat restrictions?
That's one of my concerns and have been wondering if I am just going to have to fly them in early fall instead- so I am curious what they've said to you about this?

A lot of vets are actually USDA approved, ask your vet if they are and if not if they can recommend someone to you.
Sadly it's all about business. Last time I called USDA IN Austin....they told mr to find a vet through my own vet. OK...so he was 75+ years old. Before the new rules. Rabies and then bloodwork....such an ass.....shaved their little chests to find a vein. Now this time just had to go back to same vet for my youngest. Had my regular vet of 25 years insert the microchip and so the rabies was not a problem.....Jazz didn't feel a thing :-). My daughter just got married in NYC three weeks ago in a most amazing weekend. My babies.....so much more stressful xxx
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:32 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's a heat restriction issue flying into the UK, since temperatures never get that extreme. Restrictions are more likely to be an issue relating on where you're flying from and/or transiting through.

Just to be clear, the final USDA endorsement on your paperwork has to be done by the USDA state veterinarian -- not just a USDA-approved vet. You can Google USDA state veterinarian + your state to get the details (I'd link but it doesn't seem to be working for me).

The USDA state veterinarian doesn't need to see your pet or anything. They just check the paperwork and, if it's all in order, sign it off and apply a raised seal-type-thingy to the form. Costs something like $30.

It's just a pain if you don't happen to live near the state office, as you'll have to Fedex the paperwork or find some other workaround to get it done within the 10 day window.

(Vets who've had experience preparing animals for international travel will often fax your paperwork to the state veterinarian before you go there in person, just to check it's looking okay.)

(Also... I don't know what it's like in other states, but at the California USDA office in South LA you need to get there early or you'll be waiting a while! It only takes about 20 minutes per customer, but there's often a queue. Think DMV for pets!)
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
I don't think there's a heat restriction issue flying into the UK, since temperatures never get that extreme. Restrictions are more likely to be an issue relating on where you're flying from and/or transiting through.

Just to be clear, the final USDA endorsement on your paperwork has to be done by the USDA state veterinarian -- not just a USDA-approved vet. You can Google USDA state veterinarian + your state to get the details (I'd link but it doesn't seem to be working for me).

The USDA state veterinarian doesn't need to see your pet or anything. They just check the paperwork and, if it's all in order, sign it off and apply a raised seal-type-thingy to the form. Costs something like $30.

It's just a pain if you don't happen to live near the state office, as you'll have to Fedex the paperwork or find some other workaround to get it done within the 10 day window.

(Vets who've had experience preparing animals for international travel will often fax your paperwork to the state veterinarian before you go there in person, just to check it's looking okay.)

(Also... I don't know what it's like in other states, but at the California USDA office in South LA you need to get there early or you'll be waiting a while! It only takes about 20 minutes per customer, but there's often a queue. Think DMV for pets!)
So does the final endorsement have to be done in person or can it be mailed?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

So does the final endorsement have to be done in person or can it be mailed?
Personally, I'd do it in person..no chance of the paperwork getting lost in the mail.

I think this is the link to the APHIS vets by state (they do the final sign off of the certificate):

http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/State...hOfficials.pdf
Old Jun 12th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who is posting all this wonderful information!!

I am feeling more and more comfortable with the approval process now.

Microchips
Vaccinations (rabies)
Tapeworm testing
Paperwork by vet
USDA approval of paperwork
Off we go!

One quick question - I believe the tapeworm testing has to be done within the last three days prior to departure. Is the paperwork completed BEFORE that? If not, it has to be a really busy time trying to get all the paperwork completed and approved by the USDA in the last three days.

PS - Not sure if it is tapeworm "testing" or merely a treatment for tapeworm that does not require follow-up.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Your vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate every time you want to enter the UK.

The treatment must be given between 1 and 5 days (24 to 120 hours) before you’re scheduled to arrive in the UK.

Your vet must record the following details in your dog’s pet passport or certificate:

the name and manufacturer of the product used to treat your dog
the date and time they treated your dog
their stamp and signature

The treatment must have praziquantel or equivalent as its active ingredient.
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/t...treatment-dogs

You need to plan this like a military operation! Time is really short at that stage in the game and there really is a lot to be done. You should also allow for weekends and holidays (offices may be closed) when you make your flight plans.
Your vet should complete the paperwork at this last visit, then it needs to be taken to the USDA vet for certification.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Personally, I'd do it in person..no chance of the paperwork getting lost in the mail.

I think this is the link to the APHIS vets by state (they do the final sign off of the certificate):

http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/State...hOfficials.pdf
I'm not sure how up to date that list you linked to is, for example the office that I used in Los Angeles is not listed.

This is the link from the APHIS site.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...ads/vsavic.pdf

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/

I agree that it is much, much safer to go in person to the USDA office. You just need to budget your time accordingly.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
I'm not sure how up to date that list you linked to is, for example the office that I used in Los Angeles is not listed.

This is the link from the APHIS site.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...ads/vsavic.pdf

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/

I agree that it is much, much safer to go in person to the USDA office. You just need to budget your time accordingly.
Thanks for providing a new link. I was trying to find it on the APHIS website, but didn't have much luck.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks to everyone who is posting all this wonderful information!!

I am feeling more and more comfortable with the approval process now.

Microchips
Vaccinations (rabies)
Tapeworm testing
Paperwork by vet
USDA approval of paperwork
Off we go!

One quick question - I believe the tapeworm testing has to be done within the last three days prior to departure. Is the paperwork completed BEFORE that? If not, it has to be a really busy time trying to get all the paperwork completed and approved by the USDA in the last three days.

PS - Not sure if it is tapeworm "testing" or merely a treatment for tapeworm that does not require follow-up.
As far as I'm aware, you do not need to get the state USDA vet to sign off on the certificate after the tapeworm treatment. The tapeworm treatment is merely a treatment they want your dog to have before arriving. When we moved in 2011, cats also had to get a tapeworm treatment right in the 24hr window before the flight. At that point the state USDA vet had already signed and stamped our certificate, and it was simply a matter of going to our normal vet (USDA certified) for the dewormer..she signed it saying she had administered it and that was it. However, I will say it's possible rules could have changed since then.

It might be worth giving DEFRA a call to ask these sorts of details. They are pretty good at answering questions.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

It might be worth giving DEFRA a call to ask these sorts of details. They are pretty good at answering questions.

I rang DEFRA last week and the lady who I spoke with was very helpful. She certainly put my mind at rest when I bombarded her with questions
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

As far as I'm aware, you do not need to get the state USDA vet to sign off on the certificate after the tapeworm treatment. The tapeworm treatment is merely a treatment they want your dog to have before arriving.
Not so, the tapeworm treatment is mandatory for dogs and there is a section devoted to it on the third country vet certificate-AnnexII

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...en00650076.pdf

The USDA vet will not be able to certify the paperwork unless the tapeworm treatment has been administered.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)

Your vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate every time you want to enter the UK.

The treatment must be given between 1 and 5 days (24 to 120 hours) before you’re scheduled to arrive in the UK.

Your vet must record the following details in your dog’s pet passport or certificate:

the name and manufacturer of the product used to treat your dog
the date and time they treated your dog
their stamp and signature

The treatment must have praziquantel or equivalent as its active ingredient.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
Not so, the tapeworm treatment is mandatory for dogs and there is a section devoted to it on the third country vet certificate-AnnexII

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...en00650076.pdf

The USDA vet will not be able to certify the paperwork unless the tapeworm treatment has been administered.
Must say that my recollection (2006, admittedly) was that the tick and tapeworm treatment was done AFTER the USDA vet had certified the rest of the third country cert. I mean the T & T has to be done within 12-36 hrs of flying (or something like that), which would make it impossible to then send it to the USDA vet and get it back in time to fly ... surely?

Just reading through that form again makes me shudder. Why can't they use plain, simple, logical English?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving

Just reading through that form again makes me shudder. Why can't they use plain, simple, logical English?
Haha, that would be too easy!

There is even an official cheat sheet, to be found on the APHIS/USDA website!

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation...n_no_le_fi.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.