Mind Blown!

Old Nov 18th 2014, 2:59 am
Just Joined

vmanderson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mind Blown!

Originally Posted by michali
I cannot interpret the meaning of the email but, should your application as a returning resident be reconsidered, you are very lucky! Such visas are very rarely given. My husband too was granted ILR in 2009 but because he was unable to find work here, we had to return to our previous country of residence. Last year we realized we should now be able to sustain ourselves in the UK and considered applying as a returning resident but, having read the rules, we realized that was not possible. We therefore applied for a spousal visa and it was granted.

In life we make choices for which we are responsible. If my husband had retained his British passport when his country became independent in the sixties and if we had remained when he was given ILR in 1999, we would not have had to apply under the new rules, which necessitates two more applications before he can get ILR again. But it is what it is! The rules are the rules, whether we like them or not! I wish you success in your application.
Not sure about any email or application? Wrong thread perhaps? I'm a UK citizen, always had an English passport and a national insurance #, which I paid into for 12+ years. I'm moving back to be with my Mum and to help as she gets older, since she refuses to move here to the USA. There isn't an issue with me, just the American I'm with.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vmanderson
Nothing complicated for us, thank goodness! We need to do it without any unnecessary cost. As we all know, selling the majority of stuff & starting over (again) is expensive enough!

Appreciate the (UK Yankee | Expat Americans in the UK) link, advice & best wishes! I now have lots more to read.
Totally agree that a lawyer is unnecessary unless your case is complex, or you have some problems with reading, understanding and responding to the application information (which you obviously wouldn't have)

As others have said, there's a ton of valuable information on BE and elsewhere, and if you get stuck at any point you only need to ask and people here will help you out.

Wishing you the best of luck and a happy homecoming
Old Nov 18th 2014, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about any email or application? Wrong thread perhaps?
There was somebody else that asked a question about RRV's, and that post plus a couple of subsequent other ones were moved in to a new thread - it seems that michaeli's post got missed in the move! I'll transfer it over now though.

Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know about not having a gap in employment? And there was me looking forward a bit of break? What the heck? lol
Well when we apply for his visa hopefully with a new UK job offer letter in hand, I need to also provide the previous pay slips from my US employer up to application date.

I am going to try and negotiate a start date 3 months out from offer ( I'm used to 2 weeks or one month max in the US). My sister tells me this is now common in England as she just did this, this summer.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 10:51 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Did you not have to apply for a visa in order to move to the US?
Was that comment really necessary?

Sounds like she adjusted from a tourist visa, which the UK does not permit.

And even if she had gotten a US visa, the financial requirements are not nearly as punitive as those for the UK. 47 percent of those on the mainland cannot afford to bring a foreign born spouse to the UK. The figure would be much higher if Northern Ireland were included in statistics.

Or (in the US) she could have gotten a third party to sponsor to her financially. Which the UK also does not permit.

Please don't leave out the relevant bits when you try to rain on someone's parade. Oh - that would have made your argument non-sensical.

Carry on.
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bnet36
Well when we apply for his visa hopefully with a new UK job offer letter in hand, I need to also provide the previous pay slips from my US employer up to application date.

I am going to try and negotiate a start date 3 months out from offer ( I'm used to 2 weeks or one month max in the US). My sister tells me this is now common in England as she just did this, this summer.
Same boat here in the US, 2 weeks or a month unpaid/voluntary time off at the most. I think it varies on the work place/type of job in the UK.

Sounds like a good plan though! Best of luck!
Old Nov 19th 2014, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Was that comment really necessary?

Sounds like she adjusted from a tourist visa, which the UK does not permit.

And even if she had gotten a US visa, the financial requirements are not nearly as punitive as those for the UK. 47 percent of those on the mainland cannot afford to bring a foreign born spouse to the UK. The figure would be much higher if Northern Ireland we re included in statistics.

Or (in the US) she could have gotten a third party to sponsor to her financially. Which the UK also does not permit.

Please don't leave out the relevant bits when you try to rain on someone's parade. Oh - that would have made your argument non-sensical.

Carry on.

I thought it was a bit blunt at first, but then I realised it was a very good point. Ironically, we did briefly check into the correct process, but opted to bypass and it back fired. hahaha

Great points about the differences too! I guess there must be reasons for all the 'rules'. I never was a fan of the darn things and can't help feeling they really are punitive to genuine folks, yet helpful to illegals with $. Same old story - Money talks.

'47 percent of those on the mainland cannot afford to bring a foreign born spouse to the UK' That's depressing information!

Last edited by vmanderson; Nov 19th 2014 at 4:58 am.