Milton keynes?

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Milton keynes?

We are thinking of moving to Milton Keynes..does anybody live there or know anything about it?
We need the good and the ugly

We had a look and we liked what we saw, but what is it like to live there??
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milton keynes?

It's a grid, it's new, it's a dump, it's a shopping mall...

errr...
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:59 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
We are thinking of moving to Milton Keynes..does anybody live there or know anything about it?
We need the good and the ugly

We had a look and we liked what we saw, but what is it like to live there??
some of the villages around MK are very nice. I personally wouldn't live there but each to their own. If you are looking for somewhere nice and commutable to London, how about Bedfordshire. We lived in Flitwick for a while and its a nice community and only about 50 mins to London.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:23 am
Just Joined

dots is an unknown quantity at this point

We're visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and will be looking to move to Bedfordshire in June. Can you tell me about good/ bad areas in Flitwick or surrounding areas. We will be looking at Lower schools too. Can you recommend any?
Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dots
We're visiting the UK in a couple of weeks and will be looking to move to Bedfordshire in June. Can you tell me about good/ bad areas in Flitwick or surrounding areas. We will be looking at Lower schools too. Can you recommend any?
Thanks
We lived on the cherry orchard estate which is about a 15 min walk to the station. Ampthill is a short drive away and is a lovely little town. Lots of nice villages around couldn't really say any of them were bad. have a look at multimap as I can't remember the names of all the villages. My daughter was a baby when we lived there so I can't help with schools I am afraid.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

We like milton keynes because of all the parks and lakes and all the walking and biking paths. There seems to be a lot to do and the houses are cheap...compare to Northwood anyhow. We also like all the shopping, no parking problems and no traffic jams. Some very good schools around as well, had a quick look for schools
in Flitwick and there seems to be no good secondary around.
We just don't know what its like to live there..people seem to love or hate it
The only problem is hubby driving down to northwood..could be a loooong drive
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:58 am
Gutter Gob!!

We like milton keynes because of all the parks and lakes and all the walking and biking paths. There seems to be a lot to do and the houses are cheap...compare to Northwood anyhow. We also like all the shopping, no parking problems and no traffic jams. Some very good schools around as well, had a quick look for schools
in Flitwick and there seems to be no good secondary around.
We just don't know what its like to live there..people seem to love or hate it
The only problem is hubby driving down to northwood..could be a loooong drive
Redborne Upper school in Ampthill got grade 2 scores in its last Ofsted inspection. I don't know much about secondary schools in UK but the report seems OK to me.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Redborne Upper school in Ampthill got grade 2 scores in its last Ofsted inspection. I don't know much about secondary schools in UK but the report seems OK to me.
GCSE results of 64% doesn't sound to good to me..but I'm very picky with schools anyhow

at the moment she goes to a school with 90 % GCSE results..and there is a school in mk which has the same standard..
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

GCSE results of 64% doesn't sound to good to me..but I'm very picky with schools anyhow

at the moment she goes to a school with 90 % GCSE results..and there is a school in mk which has the same standard..
didn't look too indepth at the report, sorry.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

mka2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have lived just outside MK for 23 years, spent the last 2 in spain but moving back to the area in a month.

i can probably answer most question about the place, other than schools as i went to school else where.

And bedford the town it self is a lot worse than mk is by a long shot. i wouldnt want to walk there alone at night but in mk i wouldnt be so bothered by it.

there are plenty of nice villages around but they can get expensive. stear clear of blethcly too its a bit run down and an estate in mk called 'the lakes' or just 'lakes estate'.

decent areas with in mk itslef, are Furzton, Emmerson valley, Tattanhoe, walnut tree amongst other. i have friends in these 4 estates and they have never had problems.

as for the parking its getting worse in the centre due to new buildings and no new parking areas.

there is plenty to do, 16 screen cinema, climbing wall, indoor sno sloop, ice rink, bowling, mk dons football team, hockey team ice and normal, night clubs and pubs, theatre, mk bowl for concerts.
there is also willan lake a few minutes drive from the centre, they do alsorts of summer sports there as well as it just being a nice place for a summer beer.

although not mentioned there are a lot of big businesses there, abbey, bp and argos all have HQ's there so a lot of work.

hope this helps, pm for more info
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks....I will pm you
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My Aunt and family have lived in MK for about 30yrs. They live in Emmerson Valley and they like it there. I have never lived there but have visited and I know that you get a lot of house for your money (mind you that's compared to Berkshire where I am from, if you are from somewhere reasonably priced it probably wouldn't be that cheap). My cousin and his wife also moved there from Aylesbury because they could get a better house. I think there are lots of nice villages in that area too if you didn't want to be in MK itself.

Jo
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
...My cousin and his wife also moved there from Aylesbury because they could get a better house....
anywhere's an improvement on aylesbury...bar swindon perhaps
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

Hi, I know some people seem to hate Milton Keynes but I always thought it was nice. We lived in a village in Bedfordshire and whenever we needed to visit a shopping centre we always went there (never Luton ). There is loads to do there. Someone mentioned Willen Lake - which I have been told has a new aerial activity centre which is meant to be fantastic.

The shopping centre is very good. Car parking used to be free but I have heard that it is harder to get parked now and there are not many free spaces. There is a place called Xscape which has a cinema, bowling and indoor ski centre as well as bars and restaurants. There is a modern theatre which has really good shows, including some that have been in the West End. There is an IKEA and a COSTCO.

There are some nice estates and areas. I particularly liked places on the outskirts like Stony Stratford.

My son went to a school in Bedfordshire which was meant to be very good (Harlington) which has GCSE scores in the 70's. The best schools around were across the border in Hertfordshire, for example (St George's in Harpenden) and (Hitchin Girls' School). If you don't need to live in Milton Keynes what about living in Buckinghamshire as they still have the grammar system, and some of those schools are meant to be excellent.

Kathy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kt.2006
Hi, I know some people seem to hate Milton Keynes but I always thought it was nice. We lived in a village in Bedfordshire and whenever we needed to visit a shopping centre we always went there (never Luton ). There is loads to do there. Someone mentioned Willen Lake - which I have been told has a new aerial activity centre which is meant to be fantastic.

The shopping centre is very good. Car parking used to be free but I have heard that it is harder to get parked now and there are not many free spaces. There is a place called Xscape which has a cinema, bowling and indoor ski centre as well as bars and restaurants. There is a modern theatre which has really good shows, including some that have been in the West End. There is an IKEA and a COSTCO.

There are some nice estates and areas. I particularly liked places on the outskirts like Stony Stratford.

My son went to a school in Bedfordshire which was meant to be very good (Harlington) which has GCSE scores in the 70's. The best schools around were across the border in Hertfordshire, for example (St George's in Harpenden) and (Hitchin Girls' School). If you don't need to live in Milton Keynes what about living in Buckinghamshire as they still have the grammar system, and some of those schools are meant to be excellent.

Kathy
My husband works in Northwood and we could easy move to Buckinghamshire, but we would have the same problem..no decent house under 400k..thats why we thought about MK..I'm sick to my teeth looking at overpriced shit holes..

My daughter goes to a very good school here with 90% GCSE and we find it a real shame that we have to move away so far and hubby has to drive in which is a real hassle...
Maybe we should leave the country again..I pretty much have enough of this housing business

Whats so bad about Aylesbury...never been there myself.

Does anybody know any areas around Northwood, within a 45 min drive and affordable?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.