microchips

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Default microchips

I have just discovered that one of my dogs does not have a 15 digit microchip that can be read by an ISO scanner. The chip she has is a 10 digit number issued by Microchip solutions Inc.

It looks as if I will have to have her rechipped and then re vaccinated for rabies. She had her 3 year rabies jab August 2011. what a bummer ....

I have looked into the cost of buying a scanner to take with me but it is pretty expensive.

I am about to check to see if James Cargo at Heathrow has a scanner that will read the 10 digit microchips .... long shot probably.

Meantime has anyone taken a dog back to the UK with a 10 digit microchip into Heathrow?

Any info gratefully received ... thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: microchips

Even if someone tells you it's OK, I wouldn't risk it. The price of getting this wrong is to lose your pet for 6 months. People who have picked up animals at a UK airport have described seeing people weeping because they can't have their pet. If I were you, I would do everything exactly as I'm told.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Sally
I think your advice is sound. I have emailed James Cargo at Heathrow to ask them if they have a 10-digit reader, but I am not going to take any chances on having to leave one of my dogs behind at Heathrow.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

this is the response I have had from James Cargo at Heathrow ...

The Animal Reception Centre have all different types of chip readers so it should not be a problem on arrival in Heathrow.

Hmmm. I think I will also get the animal transportation company to look into it.

I would have preferred a more definite response than 'should not be a problem'
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

heartofengland has a spectacular aura aboutheartofengland has a spectacular aura aboutheartofengland has a spectacular aura about

My (US) dog is three years old. She has a 9-digit microchip number, which was implanted soon after birth. Apparently this type of chip is what's used in the US, and isn't ISO approved.

According to my vet, even if I could somehow obtain an ISO chip, they can't remove the first chip, and having two chips would give a faulty reading on the scanner at Heathrow.

What're people supposed to do?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 11:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heartofengland

According to my vet, even if I could somehow obtain an ISO chip, they can't remove the first chip, and having two chips would give a faulty reading on the scanner at Heathrow.
No offense to your vet, but I don't think that's correct. Many animals have non-international chips and then have to travel internationally. He's (she's?) right that the chip can't be removed, but the other statement about confusing the scanners just doesn't ring true to me otherwise there would be thousands of pet owners separated from their pets every year.

Also, i don't understand the vet saying 'if you could somehow obtain an iSO chip.' The international chips are readily available (our vets had them in stock in the office) and cheap.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Further response from James Cargo at Heathrow ...

The Animal Reception Centre and DEFRA in Heathrow have several universal microchip readers, so it should not be a problem.

As far as I have read, there is no problem in an animal having two chips and once back in the UK, it will be better to get my dog rechipped with the 15-digit chip to conform with the standard over there so if she is lost, she can be easily tracked.

I want to avoid rechipping now as it means an additional rabies injection which she does not need and incurs unnecessary costs.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 5:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
No offense to your vet, but I don't think that's correct. Many animals have non-international chips and then have to travel internationally. He's (she's?) right that the chip can't be removed, but the other statement about confusing the scanners just doesn't ring true to me otherwise there would be thousands of pet owners separated from their pets every year.

Also, i don't understand the vet saying 'if you could somehow obtain an iSO chip.' The international chips are readily available (our vets had them in stock in the office) and cheap.
Agreed. Suzy had two chips - a typical US chip (put in when we were in TN in 1999), and an ISO chip I had the vet put in when she started the "Pet passport" (PETS) process (in NC, in 2005), because of all the scare stories back then about having to be an ISO chip for the PETS scheme.

I don't know which chip they scanned when she came in (because owners and dogs aren't in the same place when the chip is scanned).

As long as the chip is scannable with some sort of scanner, I'd imagine the absolute worst that could happen is that if they couldn't scan it on entry, the dog would be put in quarantine until a suitable scanner could be found to prove the dog was the same as the one in all the paperwork - they wouldn't quarantine the dog for 6 months.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

heartofengland has a spectacular aura aboutheartofengland has a spectacular aura aboutheartofengland has a spectacular aura about

Interesting.

I'm now looking online for ISO chips, as my vet doesn't stock them. Thanks for the responses. Very helpful indeed.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

kgirl2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey..

I just flew back from usa to uk in november..atlanta into gatwick..
my dog has a 9 digit AVID pet trac chip
i didnt want to take any risks so i bought a microchip reader on ebay for cheap..
i wouldnt leave anything to chance if i were you though..follow all the defra rules..and if you can get a vet thats done the process before that would help..or who is at least prepared to look up the rules etc and sort it out for you..you should not have to find a chip?
good luck stay calm
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Dunrovin ...

Yes, the worst case would be that the 9-digit dog would be delayed until a scanner could be found.

It is unlikely, that every dog/cat has the 15 digit microchip at the moment and as I am sure that James Cargo want to minimise the number of upset and angry owners, I think they would advise if there was likely to be a problem with the 9 or 10 digit numbers.

I am going to get the pet transportation company to check on this aspect too. Their business is shipping animals and they oversee the paperwork.

Shipping the animals is the hardest part of the whole move!!!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:43 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss

Shipping the animals is the hardest part of the whole move!!!
Tell me about it! Although the pet moving company we have hired have been very good so far and have given us detailed instructions every step of the way - even down to what crate to buy and which bowls to get for the crate. They spoke to our vet and coordinated everything for us which was a relief. But no amount of help can take away the guilt and worry I feel every time I look at my two little cats. They trust me so much and have no idea what I am about to do to them.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

SallySimmons .. gosh I know what you mean.

How can you make them understand when you put them in the crates and send them off that this is just a short time apart and you will see them soon. They do not understand.

All my dogs are rescue and I hope they don't feel that they are being abandoned again.

My cat, bless her, survived the journey out to Canada and arrived looking fresher than I did ... sadly she cannot return due to ill health but has a new home with my aunt and will be very well looked after.

I never thought that I would be returning home when I adopted my animals. But I cannot leave them; they are all older dogs and there are too many animals out there looking for homes, without three more.

I know there are many petlovers on this forum who face similar situations and spend large amounts of money to ensure their animals are not left behind.