Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Micro apartment living in London

Micro apartment living in London

Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:42 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Micro apartment living in London

Originally Posted by Brigette
I think that's why its catered to the young or young at heart
I'm by no means young, though I would say I do my best to be 'young-at-heart' But I love small cosy spaces. I really don't want to be cleaning & doing upkeep on a big house when it's just the two of us with occasionally a visit from one of the children.

So yes, we need a guest room (or maybe more than one), but I don't need a huge living space that must be heated all winter & aired & cleaned the rest of the year. >Sigh< It's the major argument I have with my Other Half. He grew up as one of a large family in a spacious house with three floors and he thinks that's the only way to live. I tell him that was a very different time, and all the costs of running a house were so much lower then. Nowadays it seems mad for an older couple to take on a big house.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I'm by no means young, though I would say I do my best to be 'young-at-heart' But I love small cosy spaces. I really don't want to be cleaning & doing upkeep on a big house when it's just the two of us with occasionally a visit from one of the children.

So yes, we need a guest room (or maybe more than one), but I don't need a huge living space that must be heated all winter & aired & cleaned the rest of the year. >Sigh< It's the major argument I have with my Other Half. He grew up as one of a large family in a spacious house with three floors and he thinks that's the only way to live. I tell him that was a very different time, and all the costs of running a house were so much lower then. Nowadays it seems mad for an older couple to take on a big house.
I agree with you, and we are actively looking for a small place in England as a second home or eventually first home. One thing though; we have got used to the luxury of additional rooms for our hobbies and interests. My wife has a room, maybe 15x12, solely for her sewing and quilting. Each of us has a room that we could call a "study" with a desk and our papers etc. That's because we live in an enormous four bedroom house and there are just the two of us! We'd have to seriously downsize these, maybe fit them all in the "spare bedroom" of a two bedroom flat or terrace house for instance.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go. You get a central London parking permit and a view of Harrods. What more could anyone want? Well apart from a shower where you don't have to stand on the toilet to use maybe.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Here you go. You get a central London parking permit and a view of Harrods. What more could anyone want? Well apart from a shower where you don't have to stand on the toilet to use maybe.
To me it doesn't look as finished as the ones in NYC. Surprised that there are actually a couple of offers on it. Looks kind of dingy
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
To me it doesn't look as finished as the ones in NYC. Surprised that there are actually a couple of offers on it. Looks kind of dingy
It looks a right dump, however I don't think the idea is to live in it like the others, it's more of a 'can't be arsed to get the train home, I'll kip in the 'flat' for the night' or a 'parking permit for central London with a bed included' type place.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:10 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree with you, and we are actively looking for a small place in England as a second home or eventually first home. One thing though; we have got used to the luxury of additional rooms for our hobbies and interests. My wife has a room, maybe 15x12, solely for her sewing and quilting. Each of us has a room that we could call a "study" with a desk and our papers etc. That's because we live in an enormous four bedroom house and there are just the two of us! We'd have to seriously downsize these, maybe fit them all in the "spare bedroom" of a two bedroom flat or terrace house for instance.
Yes, the husband makes the argument--which is something of a joke but also serious-- that his books & files need a room of their own!! And he's not talking about his office/den, which is yet another room he needs.

In the UK our house & garden was nicely sized for our family of teenagers & dog. But once the teenagers left home it was so much work. So I believed that moving across the ocean was a chance to down-size in a reasonable fashion. But...maybe it gets too hard to go back to a smaller living space once you've got used to lots of space to stretch out.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It looks a right dump, however I don't think the idea is to live in it like the others, it's more of a 'can't be arsed to get the train home, I'll kip in the 'flat' for the night' or a 'parking permit for central London with a bed included' type place.
OH! I see. That went right over my head
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:56 am
Banned

John74a is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice and grateful discussion. I really enjoyed it.