Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Mental Illness Services in the UK

Mental Illness Services in the UK

Old Sep 18th 2023, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

NicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the rough
Default Mental Illness Services in the UK

Dear All,
Thank you in advance. I am hoping to move back to the UK. I would bring my American partner with me. He has a longstanding diagnosis of bipolar with schizoid affect. I am concerned about him getting needed services here in a timely fashion. He is 72 and takes quite a few medications that he cannot be without, one of which requires a monthly blood test. I have been hearing stories about NHS GPs rejecting diagnoses from private practices and also about very long waits for care. Can anyone offer any advice, insights, thoughts, etc.? I am desperate to come back, but need to feel that we will be able to access appropriate care.
THANK YOU!
Nicola
Old Sep 18th 2023, 1:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Illness Services in the UK

Can't help with info on mental health I'm afraid, although my personal experience of the NHS has been nothing short of fantastic.

But how will you be sponsoring your OH, will it be savings or will you be getting a job? I'm just wondering as if you'll have a job in the UK a lot come with private healthcare as a benefit, and he should be able to go on that as a dependent. Of course, if you've applying using savings and are retired, then that wouldn't apply - but you could still look at the cost of private healthcare and factor that in in case you did need it.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2023, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

NicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Christmasoompa,
Thank you. I will probably be sponsoring him with some combination of savings, rental income in the US, and a job. I will need to get said job. But thank you, I was not aware that private insurance is offered with some jobs. I am guessing probably not in the areas where I have a background, but still who knows. Will investigate. Much appreciated.
Nick
Old Sep 18th 2023, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find mental health services to be very post code specific, some places very good, some very bad.

A surprising number of jobs come with the offer of private healthcare these days, some included and some with subsidized options.

We were retired when we moved back in 2017 and when I looked for private health insurance found these folks to be extremely good at finding a policy that works for us.

https://www.activequote.com/health-i...lth-insurance/

Old Sep 21st 2023, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, thank you, durhamlad. Much appreciated.