Making Friends

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making Friends

Just out of interest for those who have returned back to the Uk after being away from UK for years. (not just a couple) Did you return back to your old friends or did you find you have to start all over and make new friends?

If you had to make new friends did you find it easier or harder than when you went to your adopted country?

I thought I would start a thread on it, because sometimes it can be just as hard returning and having to start over in the friendship area which they may not have thought they would have to do.

Over to you.

Last edited by Mercedes; Jan 22nd 2007 at 10:49 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:12 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all
Default Re: Making Friends

Sorry, can't help. I don't like seeing no responses to threads, makes you look like billy-no-mates. I'm sure someone will be along soon.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen on previous posts that it has been mentioned by some who have returned, would be interesting to see how many people have had to restart their lives with new friends. We all get homesick for friends and family, we don't always realise that we may have to start over in our home countries, if we have been out for a while. Something that doesn't always get addressed. If no replies, then obviously everyone is doing great.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Just seen on previous posts that it has been mentioned by some who have returned, would be interesting to see how many people have had to restart their lives with new friends. We all get homesick for friends and family, we don't always realise that we may have to start over in our home countries, if we have been out for a while. Something that doesn't always get addressed. If no replies, then obviously everyone is doing great.
I will be returning to good friends that I have kept in contact with during my time in Canada.

My family will be there for me too and I can't wait. I will be able to start living again.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

we still have property in the uk and when i do return home for good it will be to that area. luckily all my friends keep in touch with me and i am so grateful to that coz when i do back now on my little jollies it's just like i've never been away
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we still have property in the uk and when i do return home for good it will be to that area. luckily all my friends keep in touch with me and i am so grateful to that coz when i do back now on my little jollies it's just like i've never been away
Ditto!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest for those who have returned back to the Uk after being away from UK for years. (not just a couple) Did you return back to your old friends or did you find you have to start all over and make new friends?

If you had to make new friends did you find it easier or harder than when you went to your adopted country?

I thought I would start a thread on it, because sometimes it can be just as hard returning and having to start over in the friendship area which they may not have thought they would have to do.

Over to you.
For me, it is a "start over" situation. I have very few family members and most of my friends are spread all over the UK. Because I left shortly after graduating from college, I never did really have a set of mates from somewhere I've settled, just secondary school (Brum - not going back there) and college (they came from all over the UK, and subsequently are spread all over).

Having said that, my next move, back to Scotland, entails being closer to some friends I made when I was there in 2000. Because this is really my permanent move (to all intents and purposes, anyway; I've learned that life is full of surprises), I am hoping to settle more into the community, which will involve of course finding a new set of mates.

Most of my stays over the past 30 years have either involved being part of a ready-made group (e.g., expat rugby community in the Bahamas, postgrad crowd in the States) or I have made connections through sport (mostly cycling clubs). Funny, it's only through reading your post that I realize I don't really have any friends, waaahhhhh Just kidding, but I guess I am in a different situation than most, never having settled anywhere in the UK as an adult.

I must say that it has been more difficult finding new mates on my return than in my various moves overseas, but maybe that's an age thing, and being a boring stay-at-home old fart.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Over to you.
For me, it has been awhile that I have been back to live....I was young when I came here....so i think it would be both ways for me. On one hand, I have cousins/and their new husbands....plus lots of extended family...but I have been making friends on the internet now, thru some other sites, and they are lovely, we all have talked about meeting up together w/our families...I also have children school age, so I would make more friends, once they make friends, in turn I get to know the parents. making more new friends along the way...Moving back is harder for me. It is overwhelming.
I'm sure you will be fine too!
(I've even keep in contact with some british friends, ebay/buying their stuff...lol...you just never know.)
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dewdrop
For me, it has been awhile that I have been back to live....I was young when I came here....so i think it would be both ways for me. On one hand, I have cousins/and their new husbands....plus lots of extended family...but I have been making friends on the internet now, thru some other sites, and they are lovely, we all have talked about meeting up together w/our families...I also have children school age, so I would make more friends, once they make friends, in turn I get to know the parents. making more new friends along the way...Moving back is harder for me. It is overwhelming.
I'm sure you will be fine too!
(I've even keep in contact with some british friends, ebay/buying their stuff...lol...you just never know.)
One things for sure - you can never have too many friends!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Just out of interest for those who have returned ..........................area which they may not have thought they would have to do.
Over to you.
Don't qualify as having been back yet, but the plan is to go in much less than 2 years.......

I can say that so far, my old friends have done more through promises and kind words than anyone I've met here in the US. For whatever reasons, thats the case.
Also, recent calls to family have proven the old adage of blood and water......it truly is thicker.

This thread will be long gone by the time I can give the benefit of hindsight, but so far nothing indicates we will return to a void.
In fact, far from it....a lot more.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:25 pm
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fishfinger
One things for sure - you can never have too many friends!
I second that, I don't know how I'd have gotten through Christmas without the love and support of my friends and family back home and in the US. Can't wait for my first visitors to arrive. We should be back in the UK within 2 years as well, it's just too hard to be without all my loved ones.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Mm, I wonder this too - I do still keep in touch with several friends from "the good old days", but you have to wonder what it would actually be like if I went back! (Which I want to).

That said, I can't help but think it would be easier to make NEW friends there then here too. The English actually comprehend the English sense of humour, for one thing. The Aussies just look at you gone out.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT
Mm, I wonder this too - I do still keep in touch with several friends from "the good old days", but you have to wonder what it would actually be like if I went back! (Which I want to).

That said, I can't help but think it would be easier to make NEW friends there then here too. The English actually comprehend the English sense of humour, for one thing. The Aussies just look at you gone out.
I think it is always going to be easier to make friends with your fellow countrymen because you start with more things in common iykwim?!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I think I had no real friends since I got married 13 years ago, because hubby was in the forces and we moved so often..we are know back in the uk..but we have no relatives near by and I'm German..we are now back since April and so far I met two women, mothers of my daughters I have contact with..but I wouldn't call them friends jet...I was always hoping to have friends once we back here..but it seems to be difficult... people don't seems to have the time..or
have already enough friends...
Don't know what to do really....
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Yorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really niceYorkshire_Girl is just really nice

Hi! we're moving back to the UK in May but will be living somewhere new where we don't know anybody. My friends are also spread all over the UK so it doesn't matter too much - we'll see them on the odd weekend as we did before.

I think moving to the other side of the world (NZ) without knowing anyone has really been a steep learning curve and will have a profound effect on the way I approach meeting new people. I know I will not be as 'insular' as I was before I came here and will make more effort to get to know people. I also would like to become a bit more involved with people in the local community and no longer wish to the live right in the centre of a town or city. I have 2 young children and will also be starting my PGCE at the Uni so there will be plenty of opportunity to meet new people.

I think if you are happy and content and give out the right 'vibe' making friends won't be too difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.