Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Major current problems in the UK?

Major current problems in the UK?

Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

IdentityCrisis9001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Major current problems in the UK?

Unemployment, crime, etc. How are things there?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Major current problems in the UK?

Originally Posted by IdentityCrisis9001
Pretty much similar to all the many other occasions some time after a Labour Government has been elected out of office. This time round it looks as if the cleaning and clearing up all the $hit left behind with a Coalition monster mop and bucket will take a little longer to put right this time round. Sadly, there is never, ever any gain without pain beforehand.and this time round the pain is likely to be a tad more severe such was the mess left to sort out. Wilful fiscal irresponsibility and deliberately uncontrolled immigration from the third world and elsewhere and the craziness of "human rights" legislation and the chronic downgrading of social mores really is one God almighty load of the proverbials for any incoming new Government to take on board at the outset, so it really will take some time to put right.

Slowly things are beginning to take shape but ever so slowly, and there will be hiccups and pitfalls on the way.

A word of warning here - I wouldn't place any reliance on whatever the crappy BBC has to say. It is nothing more than the mouthpiece of the British Labour Party anyway, and they have no conception whatseoever of the meaning of impartiality and even handed fairness in its political reporting. But what else would you expect as all their recruiting is effected by means of the Guardian newspaper.

I know what I'm talking about as I am here right on the spot, so to speak...on home territory, so I can see all the $hit at first hand. Even so, it's still a lovely country and I can see why so many people are wanting to come and live here - well, just witness all those scenes over at Sangatte. But perhaps they will not be so eager to come here once they find out that the munificence of easily obtainable social welfare handouts will no longer be so easy to come by or that the madness of the "Human Rights" legislation will no longer favour criminals and penalise victims of their crimes.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Pretty much similar to all the many other occasions some time after a Labour Government has been elected out of office. This time round it looks as if the cleaning and clearing up all the $hit left behind with a Coalition monster mop and bucket will take a little longer to put right this time round. Sadly, there is never, ever any gain without pain beforehand.and this time round the pain is likely to be a tad more severe such was the mess left to sort out. Wilful fiscal irresponsibility and deliberately uncontrolled immigration from the third world and elsewhere and the craziness of "human rights" legislation and the chronic downgrading of social mores really is one God almighty load of the proverbials for any incoming new Government to take on board at the outset, so it really will take some time to put right.

Slowly things are beginning to take shape but ever so slowly, and there will be hiccups and pitfalls on the way.

A word of warning here - I wouldn't place any reliance on whatever the crappy BBC has to say. It is nothing more than the mouthpiece of the British Labour Party anyway, and they have no conception whatseoever of the meaning of impartiality and even handed fairness in its political reporting. But what else would you expect as all their recruiting is effected by means of the Guardian newspaper.

I know what I'm talking about as I am here right on the spot, so to speak...on home territory, so I can see all the $hit at first hand. Even so, it's still a lovely country and I can see why so many people are wanting to come and live here - well, just witness all those scenes over at Sangatte. But perhaps they will not be so eager to come here once they find out that the munificence of easily obtainable social welfare handouts will no longer be so easy to come by or that the madness of the "Human Rights" legislation will no longer favour criminals and penalise victims of their crimes.
That just about sums it all up.

This government is now encouraging 'British Days' and marches, to support our army. Under Labour, this was frowned on. This governmnet have stopped the free legal aid to those using the Human rights bill to stay here (unless they are in detention). They are trying to bring in a British Human Rights
bill, but not sure how this will go as Labour sadly signed us up to all sorts of rubbish in the EU.

Re the BBC: Labour put someone in charge of the BBC to be their mouthpiece and when he spoke against him, they sacked him. The expert who said Blair had lied about the weapons of mass distruction, ended up dead too.

Last edited by formula; Jul 16th 2011 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:45 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after the last two party political broadcasts on behalf of the Tories , I'll just say that crime is down again this year* - has been going down for years - and NHS waiting times are down significantly although rising a little bit since the coalition started to 'improve' things.

UK unemployment is 7.7% currently - a number America can only dream of - but I don't know where you are, so maybe it's better there.

* I can't find the report now but numbers were released just a week or so ago.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jul 16th 2011 at 1:47 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

The same as most countres in today's day and age...my long time good friend who is German and lives in Germany will be the first to tell you the Weather,Crime, Work etc is the same there as in the UK...I suppose there are countries "out there" that can "report" good times etc for me and mine life here the UK has so far had no problems to report ie Crime etc but then again our life in Aus I could report the same but I know others where it is not the same situation as mine/ours. I for one am glad about certain papers here in the UK being under inspection they really do paint more doom and gloom than papers in other countries that have very similar problmes to life here and that has a lot to blame on peoples perception of life here in the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 5:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me the neo liberal policies of New Labour ran the UK into the ground and the Tories are hell bent on further destroying what little Britain can be proud of. Let's hope the cap in hand attitude towards big business and bankers gets dropped now that the News Corp sh*t has hit the fan and the Government starts thinking of the people living in Britain not just those that own the place.
I don't expect to see much change though I'll just remain nostalgic for politicians who actually cared about the people like Bevan and Benn rather than their own bank balance.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Seems to me the neo liberal policies of New Labour ran the UK into the ground and the Tories are hell bent on further destroying what little Britain can be proud of. Let's hope the cap in hand attitude towards big business and bankers gets dropped now that the News Corp sh*t has hit the fan and the Government starts thinking of the people living in Britain not just those that own the place.
I don't expect to see much change though I'll just remain nostalgic for politicians who actually cared about the people like Bevan and Benn rather than their own bank balance.
Show me any politician who actually cares for the "normal" person and I will fly to the moon with my own wings. I don't care who runs the government as long as they actually listen to the people and that's not going to happen anytime soon....the general public should have more say in how the country should be run and let whoever is in government know that politicians actually work FOR the people, more referendums on issues such as Europe, the selling of British Companies to overseas foreign companies etc but all in all we have it good compared to the likes of Greece etc and Asian and Middle Eastern countries....it's not great but it could be a lot worse.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:11 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Show me any politician who actually cares for the "normal" person and I will fly to the moon with my own wings. I don't care who runs the government as long as they actually listen to the people and that's not going to happen anytime soon....the general public should have more say in how the country should be run and let whoever is in government know that politicians actually work FOR the people, more referendums on issues such as Europe, the selling of British Companies to overseas foreign companies etc but all in all we have it good compared to the likes of Greece etc and Asian and Middle Eastern countries....it's not great but it could be a lot worse.
I'm not in favor of lots of referendums, I prefer a parliamentary democracy
As a way to make decisions......but I want better politicians.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

ho hum I am home and loving it.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:56 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
ho hum I am home and loving it.
Good point. I wish I was at home so I could read about the Murddock phone hacking scandal in tomorrow's Observer.

Ps don't read the Mail cos' if you do you'll never return to the dystopian nightmare that Britain has become.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Depends where you live. Many places are still peaceful, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Norfolk (not Great Yarmouth), etc. Anyone who thinks the UK is overcrowded should travel around these counties. Best to find a niche.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I always have a chuckle when someone returns from a short trip to the UK and reports how it is so crowded and there is crime everywhere and people are all miserable. Where is this UK they speak of ?

Originally Posted by johnh009
Depends where you live. Many places are still peaceful, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Norfolk (not Great Yarmouth), etc. Anyone who thinks the UK is overcrowded should travel around these counties. Best to find a niche.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
UK unemployment is 7.7% currently - a number America can only dream of - but I don't know where you are, so maybe it's better there.

* I can't find the report now but numbers were released just a week or so ago.
I'm interested in seeing that article. I'm trying to get my husband to see unemployment is much lower over there than here. My husband still can't find a decent job after 2+ yrs of being laid off. Maybe over there he'll stand a better chance.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:31 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

UK unemployment has dropped the last couple of months, it is also very regional with the North generally being harder hit than the south. We are going back to the SW and the rate there seems to be around 4-5% much the same as here.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I always have a chuckle when someone returns from a short trip to the UK and reports how it is so crowded and there is crime everywhere and people are all miserable. Where is this UK they speak of ?

Well last week I went to an area that was full of shops I like to shop in (cheap ) and it was right in the middle of a massive council housing estate, and I was faced with the kind of chav nightmare that is oft talked of on here and no way would I live there...........but it is what it is........doesn't mean we have to live there ourselves, but nothing like a little retail therapy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.