Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Lowly EFL teacher moving back at 48 - any hope of a new start?

Wikiposts

Lowly EFL teacher moving back at 48 - any hope of a new start?

Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Andyjpn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lowly EFL teacher moving back at 48 - any hope of a new start?

Hello there, this is my first post so please excuse me for Jumping straight in with a question.

As you can see I am 48. I have been teaching English (EFL) in Japan for the last 20 years and I currently teach at a University. I am planning on moving back to the UK soon.
Is there any hope of getting a job at my age? I suspect that I may have to change career or retrain or something. Has anyone had any experience of moving back with less than marketable skills?

I would be very interested in hearing any of your thoughts and experience of moving back older without relevant skills.

Thanks
Andy
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada...destination Scotland...sooner rather than later!
abaker65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lowly EFL teacher moving back at 48 - any hope of a new start?

Originally Posted by Andyjpn
As you can see I am 48. I have been teaching English (EFL) in Japan for the last 20 years and I currently teach at a University. I am planning on moving back to the UK soon.
Is there any hope of getting a job at my age? I suspect that I may have to change career or retrain or something. Has anyone had any experience of moving back with less than marketable skills?
Hi Andyjpn,
I have the same concern...I too am moving back to Scotland/England...not sure where yet. I am a primary teacher...47 years old...hoping to move back this summer. Are you a qualified teacher?

Last edited by abaker65; Mar 12th 2013 at 1:44 pm. Reason: Adding info
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

Actually I am not a qualified teacher. I do have an MA in Education with applied linguistics and also an MA in Human resources. I spent about 6 years here working as an Area Manager in ESL which was kind of a personnel type role and also 4 years as a teacher trainer. But this was 5 or 6 years ago now. Most recently I have been teaching various English classes at a university. I have a few publications but not enough to get into academia.

I am thinking that perhaps I may have a chance to get back into personnel. Alternatively an ESL type teaching job at a college but they seem very few and far between

How about yourself?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Location: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada...destination Scotland...sooner rather than later!

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

Actually I am not a qualified teacher. I do have an MA in Education with applied linguistics and also an MA in Human resources. I spent about 6 years here working as an Area Manager in ESL which was kind of a personnel type role and also 4 years as a teacher trainer. But this was 5 or 6 years ago now. Most recently I have been teaching various English classes at a university. I have a few publications but not enough to get into academia.

I am thinking that perhaps I may have a chance to get back into personnel. Alternatively an ESL type teaching job at a college but they seem very few and far between

How about yourself?
Hi again,
Surely your masters in education should count for something in the teaching field in UK...in England anyway...however, I am not sure. Maybe someone else could shed light on that subject.
Me? I have only been teaching since 2008...qualified in Canada...to teach primary. I do mostly supply work here...had a couple of long term jobs during that time. Long term work here in Ontario is limited and supply work has slim pickings now...seems to be getting worse as the years go on.
Feeling the need to be near family ...a wee bit homesick I guess. Who knew that would happen after over 20 years here in Canada???
My passport is being renewed as we speak and trying to register with England's Teaching Agency...and the Scottish Teaching Council. Feels all so overwhelming right now... Thinking of registering with an agency to help find employment... Not really sure what will happen...time will tell....

Annemarie
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:27 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully this might help.

http://www.teachers-uk.co.uk/candida...-qualified.php

"If you hold a degree level teaching qualification from your home country, then you are normally entitled to teach in the UK for up to 4 years, before you a required to have your teaching qualifications assessed and transferred to obtain Qualified Teacher Status in the UK."

Also see http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...er-status.aspx

Also, I believe in private schools, the only qualifications you need, are what the school deems necessary.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi Annmarie, maybe it`s a late 40s thing but I never felt homesick until recently.
English teaching work here is fairly plentiful but good jobs are hard to find. These days University teaching jobs are nearly all short contracts, which means every couple of years we need to find a new job and move. This makes it difficult to settle down, and isn`t great when you have kids.
I am really out of touch with all things UK, but I would have though having qualified teacher status and some experience would open some doors? Agencies sound like a good idea - I might try that too
I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed, I am particularly concerned about bringing my 3 children back and getting them settled into the UK school system.

Idollard, thanks for the links and the info; this is very useful. I am so out of touch with UK employment stuff having been away for so long. Private schools sound interesting.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Andy - I am sure you speak fluent Japanese. Sure this is a market even outside of teaching for your skills with languages.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Hopefully this might help.

http://www.teachers-uk.co.uk/candida...-qualified.php

"If you hold a degree level teaching qualification from your home country, then you are normally entitled to teach in the UK for up to 4 years, before you a required to have your teaching qualifications assessed and transferred to obtain Qualified Teacher Status in the UK."

Also see http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...er-status.aspx

Also, I believe in private schools, the only qualifications you need, are what the school deems necessary.
Actually you do not need to have you Canadian teaching qualifications assessed. This was discontinued in the last year or so. My Canadian qualified son teaches in London (Ealing). Signed up with an agency - guaranteed 4 days a week but he actually taught full time. Secured a full time job and has recently been made head of a department. No way he could have done that in Ontario right now.

ww.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/advice/f0011031/overseas-trained-teachersOTTs from Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA

From 1 April 2012 qualified teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA can apply to the Teaching Agency for qualified teacher status (QTS) without undertaking further training or assessment in England. OTTs from these countries can obtain further information by contacting the Teacher Enquiries telephone number on this page. A downloadable application form is available from the associated resources section of this page.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Fulwood - That`s a good point. My Japanese is ok but far from fluent.
i just had a quick look and found a couple of agencies that deal with multilingual recruitment. It seems that they may require languages +another skill - but a good idea and worth looking into.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

These may be helpful to you guys:

http://www.eteach.com/

http://www.tes.co.uk/further-educati...ecturing-jobs/

http://www.fejobs.com/
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Curleytops - thanks for posting the links, much appreciated.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Good morning everyone...!!!
Snowing yet again here in Sudbury, Ontario. Oh how I miss the rain in Scotland!!!
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their advice...
Sounds like there may be hope....

Annemarie
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are summer sessional courses teaching English at univertsities. I have had a few colleagues who diod that and some used it as a stepping stome to more permanantjobs.

BUT the TEFL scene in England/Scotland is dire.

Mainstream schoolteaching would be more realistic but is a high-stress occupation not for the faint-hearted.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I taught ESL for a few years but left the industry for a number of reasons. I've seen a few sessional EAP jobs advertised here (I still work in education) and some senior positions managing ESL centres in unis etc, some of them very well paid. I'm sure you could find a few things to apply for. For example, Imperial were advertising for a Director of English Language Support Unit although the advert has gone now.

I use jobs.ac.uk.

Last edited by Almo; Mar 13th 2013 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:42 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Hello there, this is my first post so please excuse me for Jumping straight in with a question.

I would be very interested in hearing any of your thoughts and experience of moving back older without relevant skills.

Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy, There are a number of us 'older' people who are in the process of moving back to the UK so I personally can understand how you feel. I'm 49 and heading back next month, but I don't have the marketable skills either, because in my career field (Medical Clerical) we are probably a dime a dozen and anyone can do my job, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to go back. I too will be looking at everything I can do once I get back to make myself stand out amongst the other applicants and if that involves re-training, or training in something slightly different then so be it.

I know it's going to be hard, but I'm looking at this as a challenge and I love challenges..LOL.

I'm pretty sure that with your skills and language skills you will find something, so just put yourself out there. Remain positive ! The very best of luck to you...and let us all know how you get on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.