Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Loving being back but glad for Aussie experience.

Loving being back but glad for Aussie experience.

Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Loving being back but glad for Aussie experience.

Just wanted to stick something out there.

We've been back since Sept.

Things are going ok. The best thing is a new relationship with my mum, an appreciation that wasn't there before.

I really find people here very wound up. I'm glad for the experience I've had.

Just after arriving I felt very English. A few months later I can see that I've picked up more of the Aussie way than I realised which is a good thing. I realise now that I changed once I left the UK but I feel more content with who I am. I suppose I needed to feel what it was like living here again. I can choose which bits I take from each country. I find the Nanny state quite different to Western Australia. I've had to work out how I can keep some of my ideals, values, desires in the UK lifestyle. There seems very little freedom. I work with my husband to provide the children with opportunities to let their hair down as school is much stricter, expectations of children are much greater and bloody hell the looks I get when I go to the supermarket with 3 kids is shocking.

I'm happier than I was in WA and it was right for us to come back. I have a feeling that we might move abroad again somewhere down the road but my dear old (she's not that old at all) would have to come with us. In an ideal world I'd love to spend 6 months in Australia somewhere down the road but financially that is unlikely for several years.

Best feeling was celebrating Australia day and feeling that it was part of us and I never want to let go of that bit. We are bloody lucky

Hubby is continuing training at the moment. Better to be doing that than looking for work. He met recently with someone in the NHS and the cuts that were being made were terrifying. Funding just cut like you wouldn't believe. UK seems to be in a difficult time for the next few years.

I wish everyone well.

How are you going Brits???

Poppet
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loving being back but glad for Aussie experience.

Originally Posted by PoppetUK

Things are going ok. The best thing is a new relationship with my mum, an appreciation that wasn't there before.

Just after arriving I felt very English. A few months later I can see that I've picked up more of the Aussie way than I realised which is a good thing. I realise now that I changed once I left the UK but I feel more content with who I am. I suppose I needed to feel what it was like living here again. I can choose which bits I take from each country. I find the Nanny state quite different to Western Australia. I've had to work out how I can keep some of my ideals, values, desires in the UK lifestyle. There seems very little freedom. I work with my husband to provide the children with opportunities to let their hair down as school is much stricter, expectations of children are much greater and bloody hell the looks I get when I go to the supermarket with 3 kids is shocking.

I'm happier than I was in WA and it was right for us to come back. I have a feeling that we might move abroad again somewhere down the road but my dear old (she's not that old at all) would have to come with us. In an ideal world I'd love to spend 6 months in Australia somewhere down the road but financially that is unlikely for several years.

Best feeling was celebrating Australia day and feeling that it was part of us and I never want to let go of that bit. We are bloody lucky

Hubby is continuing training at the moment. Better to be doing that than looking for work. He met recently with someone in the NHS and the cuts that were being made were terrifying. Funding just cut like you wouldn't believe. UK seems to be in a difficult time for the next few years.

I wish everyone well.

Poppet
Where in the UK did you move to? Glad you're enjoying being home
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Where in the UK did you move to? Glad you're enjoying being home
Northamptonshire
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Poppet, thanks for the update, followed your move home.
Keep on letting us know how it goes.......I left it too long/late to move back with my children when they were children, so many regrets, they are American now and I know they would find it so hard.
Good Luck with everything.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Northamptonshire
Nice area, my sister in law lives in Roade, NH
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish everyone well.

Poppet
Hi P

Were fine thanks....we try and take everything in our stride and take each day as it comes....we are still renting as we took a year lease and we are thankful for that as it has given us time to have a good look around. I am just starting to look for work, one son has 11 weeks then finishes his first year at uni, second son has some exams in march then also his first year at college. Things have changed a lot since we have been away and that takes a bit of getting use to but 99% mainly for the good. Just nipping to my Dad's yesterday and my Brother and Sister in Law is lovely and something I do now not take for granted and like you appreciate having them back in my life along with my Sister. In an ideal world we would like a holiday home in the Sun but the Med. and not Aus....there are things I miss in Aus and always knew I would but when I have one of those moments I put the lead on our dog and go for a walk on the lovely county paths we have on our doorstep and that brings things in prespective. All in all life is good and we are enjoying ourselves and just taking things slowly. Take care....
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:38 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I feel so similar to you too. I'm grateful for the experience I had in Canada too and the new perspective it gave me. We're worried about work here in the UK but it's early days. My husband is looking at university but probably out of the question at £14000 a year for international students.