Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

lovin being back in UK for olympics

Wikiposts

lovin being back in UK for olympics

Old Aug 19th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default lovin being back in UK for olympics

It is particularly pleasing to see the British doing so well at the olympics, really really pleasing. In london they are building everywhere, sporting stadiums and training parks for 20012, it should inspire the next generation to really embrace it.

And on top of it all, not that I am like that but its great to see us giving the Australians a serve..haha
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lovin being back in UK for olympics

Having only been back for a day, I am impressed by the BBC coverage and appalled by the Australian one. You could be forgiven for thinking that there only is Australia in the Games (and why is it that everyone who wins a medal for Australia is a "hero"??? This heroic stuff is already getting on my nerves after less than 24 hours!!!). I have also been quite taken aback by the anti British slant in the Aussie media - it is almost that they cannot take being beaten by the British and are quite sore losers about it. I must say that I didnt notice the same us vs them on the BBC when I was watching it - I thought they were very even handed and the Team GB spirit was the thing, not "We are thrashing the Aussies at Everything". So GO!!!!! Team GB!!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

hhhhm yeah i hear you but i have to say the brits are not that good themselves. Someone wins a meddle and all of a sudden the press want to make them a dame or knight them. God look at the rugby and cricket teams, won a few games and all of a sudden were all given mbe, obe, knighthood etc. I think thats way too far. you wait when this olypics is over, that 19 year old swimmer will be a dame, its embarressing.

still love it, haha.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:30 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I am loving the olympic coverage here. What a breath of fresh air to have proper professionals doing the job for starters!!
We dont just get all GB coverage. Theres plenty else to choose from.

I hae to admit i had a large smirk on my face when my husband (still in Sydney) told me that after an Aussie cyclist got beat by a pom he was phsucally crying on camera and bleated on and on about how unfait it was because the poms get lottery funding!! FFS! does he think we bought the medals? No... we got on bikes and thrashed the arse off them. What a nice change THAT IS
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Having only been back for a day, I am impressed by the BBC coverage and appalled by the Australian one. You could be forgiven for thinking that there only is Australia in the Games (and why is it that everyone who wins a medal for Australia is a "hero"??? This heroic stuff is already getting on my nerves after less than 24 hours!!!). I have also been quite taken aback by the anti British slant in the Aussie media - it is almost that they cannot take being beaten by the British and are quite sore losers about it. I must say that I didnt notice the same us vs them on the BBC when I was watching it - I thought they were very even handed and the Team GB spirit was the thing, not "We are thrashing the Aussies at Everything". So GO!!!!! Team GB!!!!!
That's because (unlike US to THEM) we actually don't pay much mind to Australia - they obviously find us much more important to beat than we do them!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
That's because (unlike US to THEM) we actually don't pay much mind to Australia - they obviously find us much more important to beat than we do them!!!!
Exactly my thoughts.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
It is particularly pleasing to see the British doing so well at the olympics, really really pleasing. In london they are building everywhere, sporting stadiums and training parks for 20012, it should inspire the next generation to really embrace it.

And on top of it all, not that I am like that but its great to see us giving the Australians a serve..haha
I doubt it would inspire the next generation at all to be honest. In view of the fact that it's over 18,000 years away, I don't think it will be their highest priority!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I couldn't agree more. A hero is someone who does something incredibly selfless and brave, to help others. I don't think I've seen any of that happening at the Olympics at all!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

mumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud of

obviously you don't live in London, why are we paying more tax to pay for the olympics????
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
hhhhm yeah i hear you but i have to say the brits are not that good themselves. Someone wins a meddle and all of a sudden the press want to make them a dame or knight them. God look at the rugby and cricket teams, won a few games and all of a sudden were all given mbe, obe, knighthood etc. I think thats way too far. you wait when this olypics is over, that 19 year old swimmer will be a dame, its embarressing.

still love it, haha.
Yeah I agree with you there. It seems that this whole 'honours' system should be done away with. If your in a popular sport and do reasonably well at it, some sort of honour is going to come down your way.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof4
obviously you don't live in London, why are we paying more tax to pay for the olympics????
Yeah, I heard that was one of the things that was going on. I remember when the idea of the London Olympics was being floated, the radio stations would get a lot of people from outside of London say it was great and those that were inside of London saying that they didn't want it for all the tax and disruption.

No one ever really explained to me the point of going for the Olympics really. It's not as if London doesn't have enough historical landmarks and touristy stuff already.

I do hope that the money made, and my understanding is that the Olympics normally end up costing the city bidding millions, is spent on London and to give the Londoners a tax break.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof4
They have that bloody great mosque to build right next to the stadium and someone has to pay.