Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

lots of questions. Moving back next year

lots of questions. Moving back next year

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lots of questions. Moving back next year

well it's getting closer. I am now officially off work. I put in my 2 weeks. My daughter has legal and physical custody of her son and has the legal paperwork but is going to call her lawyer to see if there will be any problems with her taking her son out of the country. SHe intends to come over when I am settled. we don't all want to decend on my sister!! I am getting anxious but glad to have finally made the decision. I see there are some nursery nurse postions where I am moving. so hopefully I can find a job doing that or anything! I will be glad once again not to have to worry what my insurance does and doesn't cover and if I were to lose a job not to have any insurance at all! I will be glad to have public transportation so if you can't afford a car you can at least get to your job even if it does take longer. I think America can be a great country if you have a career and are well paid but for someone like me who really can't afford a car or medical insurance its really quite scarey.. just my opinon. will keep you posted about how things turn out. I have to buy a laptop this week so I will have a computer. My brother said to buy a computer in the states as they are cheaper over here. I may try to ship one extra suitcase in the cargo of the plane when I book my ticket depending on the fees, other than that I will just be taking one suitcase!! I am not into material possesions or things that are sentimental so that makes it easier.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
Hi
My former user name was sirscotsalot.. thanks for your advice about money etc. I resign from my work April 2nd and have to wait a month for my money to come so I can start with some money in my hand while I look for a job while staying with my sister. I am really nervous but feel in my gut its the right thing to do..I will keep you posted. Hope I am not one of these people t hat feel t hey made a wrong decison and regret everything! I have made a list of the reasons I want to move back and keep it in my paperowork. If I get on a downer I can pull it out it will all be there staring me in the face in Black and White!
That's a good idea to keep a list of all the reasons you want to leave the USA - for many of us do have down times here in UK when we wonder why we came back, particularly when we observe the warts and all of UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
well it's getting closer. I am now officially off work. I put in my 2 weeks. My daughter has legal and physical custody of her son and has the legal paperwork but is going to call her lawyer to see if there will be any problems with her taking her son out of the country. SHe intends to come over when I am settled. we don't all want to decend on my sister!! I am getting anxious but glad to have finally made the decision. I see there are some nursery nurse postions where I am moving. so hopefully I can find a job doing that or anything! I will be glad once again not to have to worry what my insurance does and doesn't cover and if I were to lose a job not to have any insurance at all! I will be glad to have public transportation so if you can't afford a car you can at least get to your job even if it does take longer. I think America can be a great country if you have a career and are well paid but for someone like me who really can't afford a car or medical insurance its really quite scarey.. just my opinon. will keep you posted about how things turn out. I have to buy a laptop this week so I will have a computer. My brother said to buy a computer in the states as they are cheaper over here. I may try to ship one extra suitcase in the cargo of the plane when I book my ticket depending on the fees, other than that I will just be taking one suitcase!! I am not into material possesions or things that are sentimental so that makes it easier.
From what you say it sounds like being in UK will remove a lot of the worries you have had in USA. Good luck to you. Deal positively with any obstacles that arise as you settle into the UK.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thankyou for your advice. I have started making notes of all the "stuff" that makes me yearn for the U.K. Everywhere has its good and bad points and I have sat and read sooo many posts from people who moved back and said to themselves, oh my god I hate it here!! My brother, who is very logical, said you can't go by what other people say. He said just get your arse over here and then go from there!!
I did write to NARIC the company who seemingly translates american college education into the equivalent for UK. I wrote to them on behalf of my daughter. She went to college her for Medical Lab Tech. It was a 2 year college course. We sent all her transcripts etc but all they came up with was that its considered comparable to a certificate of higher edcuation(certHE)standard. Hopefully she will be able to find some work. My ticket is booked and now just to get other stuff in order. I got my US passport, my contingency plan! I am hoping I don't have or want to come back here, unless it's to visit my sister who lives in Illinois and is quite happy there. I did get a laptop to take back with me as my brother says they are more expensive in the U.K. I have read about wether a USA Wii would work over in U.K but it might just be easier to buy one over in the U.K for my grandson when they arrive. There are so many things to think about..Thanks for everyones advice..