Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

lots of questions. Moving back next year

lots of questions. Moving back next year

Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lots of questions. Moving back next year

Originally Posted by sirscotsalot
Hi I am hoping in addittion to reading the information that I can also ask for some advice.. I am moving back to Scotland next year. I have been living in the us for 25 years and finally am going home. Unfortunately I don't have much money. I have worked all my life over here but in mostly miminum wage jobs. I have worked for asda (walmart) the past 17 years. When I was back in Scotland last months I ended up in the ER. I have graves disease and graves eye disease and it was so nice to be treated and to be offered eye surgery. Of course that is not the reason I am going back as I had been planning on it but it really did make the decision easier as over here with my health insurance the deductible is so high that I rarely see the doctor even though I should. I will only have about 5000 pounds to my name when I return. My sister said I can live with her till I get on my feet in Elgin which is a really nice town. I have my national insurance number so I should be able t o find something. I am probably going to need some assistance and don't know if I qualify. Do you know if I would be eligible for housing assistance allowance? or job seekers allowance. I am getting away from a bad marriage with as I said not a lot of resources. Thanks for any advice. Also my daughter who is 26 and was born in Scotland is thinking of living in Scotland. She has been over to visit but I told her it would be a culture shock. As much as I would love her to live there I want her to visit and see if its for her and her 7 year old son. I wrote to the consulate and they told me he qualifies for Dual citizenship since his mother was born in Scotland?? She is a medical lab tech(has an associates degree). I wonder if her qualification would work for her to get employeed in a hospital or doctors office?It's going to be a big move but I am ready. Thanks for reading my post. Please don't feel I am a scrounger. I have worked all my life and am sure I could get a couple of jobs once I am there but may need a little help in starting out.
Hello, it is difficult to know what to put in a first post especially if it seems like there are lots of questions and unknowns pressing in on you.

Well it seems that there are a lot of positives. You are free to move back to the UK, your daughter can come with you as a UK citizen. I presume also you will have qualified for a US SS pension available from 62 onwards. Also you know where you want to live which is something many people struggle over. Plus you have a supportive sister. So all that is a good start.

To your question of housing benefit and Job Seekers Allowance, I will have to defer to others that have knowledge of this but i have read of returness getting JSA after a qualifying period.
DirectGov online has a lot of info, here is a link to the page for JSA http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10018757

As for employment for someone with Medical Lab Tech, I can only speak generally but if she has some experience this shows she can follow process in a diligent environment and may suit well to apply for jobs in other places such as laboratories or quality departments in manufacturing companies. Something to think about anyway.

You mention a little bit about citizenship. Do you all have US Citizenship? Although it may seem unlikely at this time life behaves funny and anyone of you may in the future want to move back to US. For this is would be wise to have USC before you leave there. Please give it some thought.

You mention a daughter and her son. Is there a father and is he willing to let the child move overseas? Is his decision in writing?

I like your attitude that you would seek to get a couple of jobs. I think there are are always some kind of job for someone that is determined, but be prepared that times are difficult here as there and there are a lot of people looking for any work.

Best wishes to you and as you get deeper into your personal puzzle feel free to post again. Sometimes one question in a post titled with the same subject may work better than many questions, it may get the attention of someone that knows that particular subject.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

sirscotsalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for your advice and encouragement.
My daughter has sole custody of her son so I know the father doesn't have to sign for his passport. He lives in another state and has never come to visit his son in 5 years nor does he pay child support but legally I am not sure. Something else to figure out if she decides to move permantely back. I am going to go ahead and start studying for my us citizenship as I want to keep the door open! I mean they say the grass is always greener!! I have lived over here that long and paid taxes too so I am not sure if I am not a citizen if I would get my social security when I finally retire. A lot to think about. I feel if my daughter and grandson don't move back eventually I would be heartbroken but on the other hand one day they are going to probably go their separate ways if she meets a special man in her life... Why is life so complicated.. chin up though. thanks again
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Thankyou for your advice and encouragement.
My daughter has sole custody of her son so I know the father doesn't have to sign for his passport. He lives in another state and has never come to visit his son in 5 years nor does he pay child support but legally I am not sure. Something else to figure out if she decides to move permantely back. I am going to go ahead and start studying for my us citizenship as I want to keep the door open! I mean they say the grass is always greener!! I have lived over here that long and paid taxes too so I am not sure if I am not a citizen if I would get my social security when I finally retire. A lot to think about. I feel if my daughter and grandson don't move back eventually I would be heartbroken but on the other hand one day they are going to probably go their separate ways if she meets a special man in her life... Why is life so complicated.. chin up though. thanks again
You should do well on the citizenship test. It really is not that difficult. Good luck!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:01 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has sole custody of her son so I know the father doesn't have to sign for his passport. He lives in another state and has never come to visit his son in 5 years nor does he pay child support but legally I am not sure. Something else to figure out if she decides to move permantely back. . Why is life so complicated.. chin up though. thanks again
This may not be that straight forward, taking a child out of its country is not that easy even with sole custody, something that she will need to look into in detail if she wishes to move to the UK with him
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has sole custody of her son so I know the father doesn't have to sign for his passport. He lives in another state and has never come to visit his son in 5 years nor does he pay child support but legally I am not sure.

I am going to go ahead and start studying for my us citizenship as I want to keep the door open! I mean they say the grass is always greener!! I have lived over here that long and paid taxes too so I am not sure if I am not a citizen if I would get my social security when I finally retire.

From what I have read on BE the situation with the grandson does definitely need to be legally established.
Typical advice seems to be to get a legally binding letter from the father saying he agrees to the child going abroad.
I have no direct experience so this is only 2nd hand but there seems to be a need from two directions, 1. the legal claim of the parent (and who knows what future situations arise) 2. the Border Agency are alert to situations of one parent taking children abroad to country of origin against the 2nd parents wishes.

I think you are wise to take the USC test. The question of future entitlements overseas as a lapsed Permanent Resident could well be real, all it takes is a change of law and rights can be removed for non-resident non-USC.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
From what I have read on BE the situation with the grandson does definitely need to be legally established.
Typical advice seems to be to get a legally binding letter from the father saying he agrees to the child going abroad.
I have no direct experience so this is only 2nd hand but there seems to be a need from two directions, 1. the legal claim of the parent (and who knows what future situations arise) 2. the Border Agency are alert to situations of one parent taking children abroad to country of origin against the 2nd parents wishes.

I think you are wise to take the USC test. The question of future entitlements overseas as a lapsed Permanent Resident could well be real, all it takes is a change of law and rights can be removed for non-resident non-USC.
Or some sort of court document giving her full custody, no visitation ordered and right to move anywhere she chooses, or something like that would probably suffice.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:47 am
Account Closed

sirscotsalot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again
I take my citizenship test Feb 15th! Got my fingerprints taken about 3 weeks ago and now have the date for my test. I have been studying so I think I should be able to pass. After I take the oath ceremony going to apply for my U.S passport. I will give notice to my job and my quit date will be April 2nd, my 17 year anniversary date with the company. That way I can get my 4 weeks vacation pay. My daughter is saving up and her plan is to come in July. She still has to see the lawyer regarding taking her son out of the country. My brother who lives in Aberdeen agreed that becoming a U.S citizen was a good idea. I really hope it all works out. If my daughter isn't able to bring her son I will probably move back to the U.S because I would miss them too much!
Will keep you posted.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Hi again
I take my citizenship test Feb 15th! Got my fingerprints taken about 3 weeks ago and now have the date for my test. I have been studying so I think I should be able to pass. After I take the oath ceremony going to apply for my U.S passport. I will give notice to my job and my quit date will be April 2nd, my 17 year anniversary date with the company. That way I can get my 4 weeks vacation pay. My daughter is saving up and her plan is to come in July. She still has to see the lawyer regarding taking her son out of the country. My brother who lives in Aberdeen agreed that becoming a U.S citizen was a good idea. I really hope it all works out. If my daughter isn't able to bring her son I will probably move back to the U.S because I would miss them too much!
Will keep you posted.
Good luck on your test. I don't think its a difficult test so you should be fine. Can't wait to hear the good report
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again
Will keep you posted.
God luck on the test I'm sure a lawyer would be able to help your Daughter sort our the situation with the little one. 6 years with no contact is abandonment and he's not supporting the child I doubt she'd have trouble getting a judge to give her the papers needed to move with the child
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:44 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

I am planning on moving back in March and have an Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education. I believe the site is NARIC or NARIQ and they will translate your degree to what it is equivalient to in the UK. I have to do it myself, there are a number of different options which of course include fees but it will let your daughter know what her degree is equivalent to and I think for extra fees you can get a list of jobs that you qualify for and what further qualifications you can take. I know there is so much to do, I'm in the midst of closing on my house (shortsale) moving to a two bed apt so we can afford two rents one in UK and the other in US for my husband while he sells our stuff and fills out paperwork for his settlement visa. I'm frantically sorting through stuff and just keeping memoribila from my last 22 years here, plus trying to get my two kids to realize they dont need to keep every stuffed animal they have ever had...it's hard process but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Keep your chin up, good luck and all the best to you.
Alexis
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi its me again. I had a hard time retrieving my password etc to get on here so had to sign up again. The good news is I passed my citizenship exam. They were very nice at immigration and I got sworn in, so now I have to apply for my USA passport this saturday. I have told my work my last day will be April 5th. Getting ready to head home for good is exciting but also nerve wracking. I have started to have nightmares at night about my decison. In my heart I know its the right one. Anyway, my daughter applied for a passport for her son and got it, yeah. Now if she brings him over with her does anyone know if she will have trouble the airport even though she has sole custody papers and her son has a passport?
Well I plan on moving back approx may1st. I will stay with my sister until I get set up, ie job! I am excited,but have mixed emotions. The end of a 30 year marriage(should have left years ago!) starting afresh and being soooo scared but will be glad to finally "be home". I read all the stories of people who return. Some are so sad, anxious, fed up and wish they hadn't. Others are delighted and fit right back in. I dont know where I will stand. I have started to keep a journal and it will remind me if I get a low mood, all the reasons I wanted to return. Thankyou for all your advice..
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel
Hi its me again. I had a hard time retrieving my password etc to get on here so had to sign up again. The good news is I passed my citizenship exam. They were very nice at immigration and I got sworn in, so now I have to apply for my USA passport this saturday. I have told my work my last day will be April 5th. Getting ready to head home for good is exciting but also nerve wracking. I have started to have nightmares at night about my decison. In my heart I know its the right one. Anyway, my daughter applied for a passport for her son and got it, yeah. Now if she brings him over with her does anyone know if she will have trouble the airport even though she has sole custody papers and her son has a passport?
Well I plan on moving back approx may1st. I will stay with my sister until I get set up, ie job! I am excited,but have mixed emotions. The end of a 30 year marriage(should have left years ago!) starting afresh and being soooo scared but will be glad to finally "be home". I read all the stories of people who return. Some are so sad, anxious, fed up and wish they hadn't. Others are delighted and fit right back in. I dont know where I will stand. I have started to keep a journal and it will remind me if I get a low mood, all the reasons I wanted to return. Thankyou for all your advice..

Have you asked admin to close the other account? If not could you please confirm what your first username was and I will arrange for that account to be closed?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:43 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morayeel

FYI do you all have UK passports? You should enter the UK on those, then you should let HMRC know you are back and what you intend to do.

As you are now a US citizen your SS is probably pretty safe, but you will now have the joy of filing 1040s and dealing with the US tax on your UK income and probably the UK tax on any income you have from the US. It shouldn't be too complicated, unless you get a UK pension, but you have to keep up to date with things and make sure you comply with US law. Watch out for where you save your money in the UK and read up about US citizens and the issues with UK accounts like the ISA etc.

Good luck with your move, I've been in the US for 25 years too and I'm looking forward to returning to the UK in a few years time, so I envy that you are so close to it.

Last edited by nun; Mar 5th 2012 at 7:52 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
My former user name was sirscotsalot.. thanks for your advice about money etc. I resign from my work April 2nd and have to wait a month for my money to come so I can start with some money in my hand while I look for a job while staying with my sister. I am really nervous but feel in my gut its the right thing to do..I will keep you posted. Hope I am not one of these people t hat feel t hey made a wrong decison and regret everything! I have made a list of the reasons I want to move back and keep it in my paperowork. If I get on a downer I can pull it out it will all be there staring me in the face in Black and White!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

My daughter and her son have US passports but she is in the process of getting their uk passports now. I will have both but will fly in on my uk, since I am don't plan on returning unless its to maybe visit my sister who lives in Illinois.. Thanks once again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.