Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It looks like we are going back

It looks like we are going back

Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wimbledon!

Originally posted by Herman
Hello all. We have been back in the UK for a couple of months now. I completely forgot about this forum. All I can say is that both my wife and I are LOVING being back in the UK. We are living in Wimbledon currently and both working in London. I wont bother listing all the reasons why we are happier in the UK than we were in Sydney - its all been said before many many times on these forums.
I was interested to read about the 'death' of community spirit in the UK. Bit of generalisation maybe? Back in the small town in South Gloucestershire where I grew up nothing has changed. Neighbours still help each other, school fetes are still a success, community fundraisers for church repairs continue, people still look out for each other and younger neighbours still pop in on the old folk to check they are OK. Must be only in specific parts of the country that the spirit has apparently died?
Anyway, we are back and very very happy with the choice we made. Work is fantastic, challenging and rewarding - I am suddenly surrounded by real professionals and not half wits. You can NOT beat the UK if you are a professional of working age. Oh boy, when I recall how bored and unchallenged I was at work in Sydney......

Where in Wimbledon are you? I am currently stranded in Chicago but I grew up in Wimbledon. First in a flat in a big white house called The Kier on the edge of the common, then in a house in Berkeley Place, off Ridgeway. Used to go the Crooked Billet, the Fox and Grapes. And how did you manage to get back there?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home

Originally posted by Pulaski
I firmly believe that most people who have lived overseas for five or more years and feel the need to get back to the UK are not looking to go back to the UK, they are looking to go back to the UK that they left.

Unfortunately that UK no longer exists, times have moved on and they, as likely as not, will be disappointed and will not find what they are looking for.

Sure there are a few small things that the UK has that other countries don't, but there are, ..... er, ....... "several" major problems that the UK has that don't seem to be likely to be addressed any time soon.
No problems than aren't actually bigger here in the US Pulaski- except space and housing perhaps.

I disagree entirely with your theory- most people are more mature than you give them credit for- they know very well that nothing stays the same and are all too aware of the difficulties in adjusting back. More brits actually do go back to UK than stay out here -in my experience here (nearly 12 years)- and the number one concern is how they are going to settle again.
It's a personal thing for everyone and what is really important to them.

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 19th 2003 at 12:00 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts exactly! ......

Congestion is getting steadily worse, public transport is bursting at the seams yet cost of using it is climbing and yet no improvements are forthcoming, the cost of housing is insane, the (state) schools are in a grim way and yet going private isn't an option (see cost of housing, above).

And then there is the "problem" of the current government's off-stated intentions to hook up the British economy to the old nag that is Europe. .....

I don't think you're paying attention to what's happening in the US Pulaski. The government is whitewashing and spinning like hell, but I see huge problems looming here especially if this administration gets another term- which seems very likely. The US already has the biggest social problems in the industrialized world- and its going to get worse. America has lost its manufacturing base to Asia, the service industry, IT and even radiology is going to India for cheap labour- another 3 million jobs are set to go in a few months time. The stock market is still overpriced (don't put your money there!)- the real estate bubble about to burst- unemployment at the highest rate since WWII- and those are just the ones counted by the Labour dept as looking for work- many have given up. Graduates can't find work and are saddled with huge student debt....it looks very bleak right now. A lot of the jobs which have been lost will not be coming back ever- even if this recession (some are calling it depression now) ends tomorrow- these jobs have gone out of the country.

Just this morning it was announced on the radio here that all teacher's aides will be dumped and teachers pay frozen (we have a real shortage of teachers as it is here). Same thing with the hospitals- and we have a permanent shortage of health workers.

Things have changed so much in the last 12 years here in US- as they do everywhere- very few countries stand still in a time warp LOL but UK is in better shape than US from all the research I've been doing.

BTW the State schools may be a bit shabby and some overcrowded but British kids are significantly higher in ALL areas educationally (but especially science and maths) than US kids- according to the newly published figures of the longitudinal study of 15 yr olds in all industrial countries- US kids came out just average in everything, UK is way up there in the top 4. Bush, apparently appalled at the US results started his new "no kid left behind" program to get US kids up to the major European country's standards. (and they've just cut budgets for schools...ahem!).

I don't think finances are what people move on to the UK for anyway- many have found that material things are superficial and have realised what's really important for them- but the reason some return to UK are as varied as the reasons people emigrate. Going where you are HAPPY is the main thing.

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 19th 2003 at 12:09 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 3:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
....... Going where you are HAPPY is the main thing.
I am, and a lot more optimistic about the future here in the US than in the UK.

I do not share your analysis, and neither do most of the informed commentators on economic issues here in the US. As you clearly have a different view, I can't see any point in debating this further.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

You must be on something Pulaski - that's the only reasonable explanation I have for your thought process. Are you trying to tell us that the US is better off than the UK economically? Have you not looked at the unemployment figures?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am, and a lot more optimistic about the future here in the US than in the UK.

I do not share your analysis, and neither do most of the informed commentators on economic issues here in the US. As you clearly have a different view, I can't see any point in debating this further.

Who are you listening to, Greenspan??? Bush??? The Wall St Journal- who tell people what they want to hear?
I'm an optimist too - wouldn't have made it in this country if I wasn't, but I'm no Pollyana or Mr Micawber. The reality is in cold hard facts not administration or financial institution spin.
BTW I was speaking collectively not personally when I said Go where you are HAPPY.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Who are you listening to, Greenspan??? .....
Well "Greenspan" and the FRB have been a model for an independent Bank of England, free from political interference, so I would say that Greenspan the FRB is without a doubt the best place to look for objective information on the state of the US economy. ..... And they look at much wider measures of the state of the economy than the headline unemployment rate.

I'd agree that unemployment is a problem, (and I'm not certain that the current US government has a strategy for addressing it) but you cannot damn the entire US economic situation on the basis of rising unemployment. For starters there will be growth in the US economy this year (year-on-year, about 1% is the current prediction), and average household income is also on track to increase too. These facts are completely inconsistent with the US economy being in a hole.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:02 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wimbledon!

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Where in Wimbledon are you? I am currently stranded in Chicago but I grew up in Wimbledon. First in a flat in a big white house called The Kier on the edge of the common, then in a house in Berkeley Place, off Ridgeway. Used to go the Crooked Billet, the Fox and Grapes. And how did you manage to get back there?
We are in Wimbledon village, just round the corner from the tennis courts. Have probably spent too much time in the pubs in Crooked Billet over the past few weekends! We came back from Australia with my employer - I had a job open for me in London. Not sure how we actually ended up in Wimbledon - we used to live in Putney and fancied being in the same area. We were exploring on foot and decided we liked the greenery of Wimbledon and the access to the common and Richmond Park. Its v expensive though - our rent is a small fortune every month.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Wimbledon village, just round the corner from the tennis courts. Have probably spent too much time in the pubs in Crooked Billet over the past few weekends! We came back from Australia with my employer - I had a job open for me in London. Not sure how we actually ended up in Wimbledon - we used to live in Putney and fancied being in the same area. We were exploring on foot and decided we liked the greenery of Wimbledon and the access to the common and Richmond Park. Its v expensive though - our rent is a small fortune every month.

Can't spend too much time in the Crooked Billet! Glad to hear it still exists. I used to go to the tennis when you didn't have to queue up for days just to get into the grounds. I don't mean to ask impertinent questions (!), but we are plotting a possible return to the U.K. What can one expect to pay for rent these days in an area like Wimbledon? Break it to me gently.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:42 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Can't spend too much time in the Crooked Billet! Glad to hear it still exists. I used to go to the tennis when you didn't have to queue up for days just to get into the grounds. I don't mean to ask impertinent questions (!), but we are plotting a possible return to the U.K. What can one expect to pay for rent these days in an area like Wimbledon? Break it to me gently.
Its currently a renters market so you can negotiate. We pay £1200 per month for a decent sized furnished 2 bed coversion flat with a parking space in a quiet street. It was on the market originally for £1500 per month, they dropped the rent to £1350 after it was empty for a few weeks and we got them down to £1200. Below this price you need to make sacrifices such as location, parking, size of flat, street noise etc.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

catswhiskers is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a very high rent and the average person can't afford it. It's like house prices in the UK, especially the South East, ridiculous prices. Most first time buyers just can't afford to buy.

I hate rip-off Britain and just can't wait to get to the US. My fiance has just bought a really lovely brand new three bedroomed, three bathroom house (small by US standards but massive compared to UK standards) in a smallish town in PA (an hour from Baltimore) which stands in a third of an acre of land for $200,000. I can't wait to live there permanently.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 12:57 pm

Originally posted by catswhiskers
That's a very high rent and the average person can't afford it. It's like house prices in the UK, especially the South East, ridiculous prices. Most first time buyers just can't afford to buy.

I hate rip-off Britain and just can't wait to get to the US. My fiance has just bought a really lovely brand new three bedroomed, three bathroom house (small by US standards but massive compared to UK standards) in a smallish town in PA (an hour from Baltimore) which stands in a third of an acre of land for $200,000. I can't wait to live there permanently.
Its all relative to salaries. In London I earn twice as much as if I did the same job in, say, Bristol, Reading or Birmingham and three times as much as in Manchester or Liverpool. Overall we still have far more money in our pockets than if we went to live in one of these other cities. Financial comfort versus a quieter less crowded existence is a tough debate.
We actually found rents in Sydney equally as high relative to salary.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:18 pm

Its currently a renters market so you can negotiate. We pay £1200 per month for a decent sized furnished 2 bed coversion flat with a parking space in a quiet street. It was on the market originally for £1500 per month, they dropped the rent to £1350 after it was empty for a few weeks and we got them down to £1200. Below this price you need to make sacrifices such as location, parking, size of flat, street noise etc.

Well, it's expensive, but actually not as bad as I had feared. And as you say, the salaries do compensate. How is the housing market there these days - for actually buying a house, I mean? With a child we really want 3 bedrooms and, ideally, a small garden.