Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Looking for Quick Answers About Moving Back Home

Looking for Quick Answers About Moving Back Home

Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:50 pm
Banned

Blunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for Quick Answers About Moving Back Home

Originally from the UK, moved to the USA in 2004 on a conditional visa (marriaged based). Conditions removed in 2006 and awarded permanent residency and a green card (to be renewed in 2016 I believe).

For various reasons I am wanting to move back to the UK permanently late next year.

My questions are:

1 - Will becoming a US citizen in the meantime allow me to return somewhere down the line, or is there a policy against this kind of thing? I know my PR status would expire, but does citizenship?

2 - Is there any sort of "closing out process" I would need to follow before leaving for the UK? Or do you just let your greencard quietly expire?

3 - I would like to be able to visit and vacation in the US and wouldn't want something like abandoned greencard to come back and haunt me 20yrs from now and be detained and investigated in an airport. Is this likely?

4 - Would I need to declare anything in the UK after being away and not paying taxes, etc for six years?

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated

Last edited by Blunder; Dec 14th 2010 at 8:14 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Quick Answers About Moving Back Home

Quick answer: If you naturalize, you will have more options.

The others are not quick questions.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blunder
1 - Will becoming a US citizen in the meantime allow me to return somewhere down the line, or is there a policy against this kind of thing? I know my PR status would expire, but does citizenship?
Citizenship doesn't expire.

If you become a US citizen you can leave for as long as you like and return to the US whenever you want to. Be aware that becoming a US citizen does come with certain obligations, one of which is the requirement that you file US tax returns every year (assuming that your income level is above the threshold for filing) regardless of where you happen to be living.

Your permanent residence status doesn't "expire" either but if you leave the US for long enough you will almost certainly be deemed to have "abandoned" it.

Last edited by md95065; Dec 14th 2010 at 8:34 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 1:19 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Abandoning the LPR status will likely lead to less hassle traveling to the US than not abandoning the status. If you still have the status and don't reside in the US, you could end up in removal proceedings before an immigration judge when you attempt to visit. If you don't abandon the status and try to enter without the card, they could charge you a fee of $545 for the paperwork involved if they decide to let you in as a permanent resident.

There is a formal process to abandon the status. You would complete an I-407. You could do it at the consulate.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 2:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it...... I am not a legal beagle, but my 2 pence......

No, seems odd though, that one can only truly leave a country by swearing allegiance to it......

2 - Is there any sort of "closing out process" I would need to follow before leaving for the UK? Or do you just let your greencard quietly expire?

For IRS purposes, they do not consider the greencard lapsed, believe it or not you should still file taxes even though you no longer live here nor have the right to live here if in the event of you just going home.

3 - I would like to be able to visit and vacation in the US and wouldn't want something like abandoned greencard to come back and haunt me 20yrs from now and be detained and investigated in an airport. Is this likely?

Don't know, but I wouldn't think so............

4 - Would I need to declare anything in the UK after being away and not paying taxes, etc for six years?

nope.......... I'd make sure you were back on the electoral role and what not, go back and see your GP and tell him you live back in the country and owuld like to resume being an NHS patient........