Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Looking Forward to Coming Back

Looking Forward to Coming Back

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking Forward to Coming Back

Originally Posted by Josie68

I may be sad but I'm looking at Argos online...oooh shops and choice. No longer having to go to the Warehouse where everyone gets crap service and everything you buy works for a month!

Jo
This is the most truthful statement that has ever caught my eye!

This little gem should be in 6ft letters outside every Wharefare/ Red Shed in the country.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:21 am
Just Joined

suziq_41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

thanks for your reply. I think it depends on what you want and why you left. We are not that bothered about the sun, it's great for holidays our 2 weeks in Spain etc...but working full time in it is a different story. I lived in Oz for 10 years but have never had a desire to return there and it is very different to NZ, more to offer in terms of infrastructure, public transport, shopping etc... but the heat, flies, insects, killer creepy crawlies are not for me.

In terms of migrants...they are everywhere, I should know I'm one of them! I should imagine the ozzies think about the Brits as the Brits do about the Polish. I am British so I feel I do belong and if the government is going to welcome other people in so be it, fair play to them, at least for me I can feel like I belong.

I know what I am going back to and it's up to me to make the most of it. I am being careful about the choices I make, as in, I have secured a job that I only need to do part time to earn enough to live on, I don't have any desire to keep up with the Jones's just want to be able to live comfortably. We have bought a beautiful house in a little village in Yorkshire, so making the right choices to get the lifestyle you want is important and is achieveable in the UK. Having done the migrant thing twice myself I've learnt my lesson, it's not the place or the people, it's ME! I am not the outdoor sporty type, I'm the homely, mumsy, 2 weeks holiday a year type...love to be at home snuggled on the sofa with something nice to munch from Asda, so I am going back with that realisation.

The UK can be whatever you want it to be you just have to realise what it is you want.

Jo
Yes I agree. We have been here 7 years now and are planning to return to the UK at the end of 2009 (after my son has finished NCEA level 3). But we have decided to keep our house here for the time being and plan, at the moment, to return to NZ after 2 years in UK. I can't wait as I am the one who has had the most trouble settling down here. Warm house is a biggy especially in winter - oh for radiators and insulation. I really miss my family and Marks and Sparks.

I always feel more homesick at this time of year especially if, like this year, we have no rellies coming out to see us. It is sooo hard to get into the Christmas mood when you can't see the lights on the tree until 10pm

Anyway good luck guys and follow your heart.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suziq_41
Yes I agree. We have been here 7 years now and are planning to return to the UK at the end of 2009 (after my son has finished NCEA level 3). But we have decided to keep our house here for the time being and plan, at the moment, to return to NZ after 2 years in UK. I can't wait as I am the one who has had the most trouble settling down here. Warm house is a biggy especially in winter - oh for radiators and insulation. I really miss my family and Marks and Sparks.

I always feel more homesick at this time of year especially if, like this year, we have no rellies coming out to see us. It is sooo hard to get into the Christmas mood when you can't see the lights on the tree until 10pm

Anyway good luck guys and follow your heart.
Jo, Can I ask why are you returning in 2 years time?
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Josie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the roughJosie68 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brits1
Jackie
Hi Jackie,

I'm not coming back to NZ it's Suziq thats coming back....I hope to settle happily back home in Yaarkshire!

Jo
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

jaffacake is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we are off from Kerikeri in Northland back to North Yorks...a little village near York.

Yes making the decision was a tough one but for some reason is now a huge relief...silly but we miss having a home and one that you can use all the rooms all year...instead of huddling round the log fire and not wanting to move through the winter!

We have loved being here but are really excited about going back. We've managed to get everything sorted from over here, as in got a mortgage approved and got the inlaws to view houses for us so hopefully if all goes according to plan we can move straight in when we get back.

Really looking forward to shopping!

We fly back 15th Jan from Auckland so will be going back around the same time. Good luck and keep in touch.

Jo
We've managed to get everything sorted from over here, as in got a mortgage approved
Hi, this is my first post and I am returning to England next year and going through the PETS process, etc. I was interested to know how you can get a mortgage approved without living and working in England? It would certainly make life so much easier if this could be arranged before leaving Australia. Do you have any tips?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie,

I'm not coming back to NZ it's Suziq thats coming back....I hope to settle happily back home in Yaarkshire!

Jo
Must take more water with it!! sorry!! know what you mean about 2 weeks away though, we were home this April-May and we even managed a holiday in Cyprus it was really cheap we could'nt believe it!! anway on the plane back to Manchester (after a fantastic holiday) I was not down as I usually am about coming back to Perth...I was just so glad to be going home and having family to meet and greet at the Airport instead of having noboby here in Perth to do that for us really. I have just taken my son (16) to the International Airport his team is playing in K.L against the under 17 and then the U18's it's the first time we have not been away with him on one of these trips or as a family holiday and I thought I would be okay...well I am not...I even watched his plane take off (we were going to go but just could not afford it!!!) I came home with my youngest son (my husband has just started to work on the mines for the first time for extra money to take back home..he hates it and so do we!!!but needs must and it's only temp!!!) but coming home to an empty house...no mum,dad sisters or family to cheer you up etc...it just brings it home just how far we are away from everyone we hold dear and just what would life be like when our boys do eventually leave home (hopefully not for years!!!) my husband just phoned and he said there is nothing to keep us here really and thats the crunch of it...we have nicer weather (although we did have a glorious 9 weeks in April-May...I know it changed soon after!! but when we do have nice weather it's wonderful...) we may all have larger homes but for some of us that's not everything....we have had some nice friends here but we are lonely for our "family" we are not sure if we had some here anyway that it would make a difference...nothing against Aus....but at this moment in our lives it's not for us.....we have our Aus Passports but my husband said if we wanted more sun he would move (later on in our lives) to nearer home ie Europe...and as time goes on I agree...we just seem to far from everything we love....Sainsburys breakfast's....Morrisons Lemon Donuts and Bakery Section.....Tesco's clothes are really good value...honest...I bought some really good quality "tops" and people here comment and ask where I bought them from....and all were under 12.00 pounds!!!! we miss Christmas Parties with both friends/family and even work..every year we really try and make it really Christmassy but to tell you the truth we are just getting a little tired of keep trying....
Anyway have to go because I promised my younger son I would watch the Simpsons movies (woo wee!!! not a great simpsons fan I must admit) but all the while thinking about what we would be doing right now on that flight with our son and his team.....just onto my 2nd or maybe 3rd Baileys...for some reason I enjoy that drink at this time of year.......
Have a nice evening everyone....
Jackie in Perth.....
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jackie,

Jo
We were in Yorkshire this year...visited Scarborough....York and went to the Races at (cor blimey I forgot....sounded like a cockney then...help!!) we had a great time, weather lovely, people friendly...well nearly as friendly as "us Lancashire" folk!!!! our oldest said (we have a friend here in Perth from a village near Middlesborough and is very homesick...wants to go home but hubbie is enjoying his time up in the mines while she is at home with 3 children under 7) why would anyone want to leave such a lovely area...and he is a real "city" boy!!!!.....anyway great place...loads to see and do...once had a great holiday on a heaven leisure site...forget where....see my memory is going.....with a few other friends and their children on a long weekend break...we had such a laugh...those were the days......
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jaffacake
Hi, this is my first post and I am returning to England next year and going through the PETS process, etc. I was interested to know how you can get a mortgage approved without living and working in England? It would certainly make life so much easier if this could be arranged before leaving Australia. Do you have any tips?
Sorry I have not got a clue about the PETS system....I was told you could not have a mortgage unless you had work etc in the U.K but what I wanted to know was...can you buy a house from Aus if you are working here...and are British Citizens? you know like when investors from overseas by investment homes here....do they all have the cash or do they have mortgages? if so then there must be loads of rich British people as there are a few new homes in the area I live and they were bought by British people who have not and will not be coming here to live, they are just for investments......sorry I cannot help more but I do have a name and number of a guy who is a mortgage broker in England (from down south) he is the brother of a lady who owns a well know company here in Perth who deals with mortgages and investments and she can work miracles, her brother in the U.K is the same apparently....we have used this lady ourselves, she is excellent and very clever and all "legal"
Good luck
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

suziq_41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Jackie
Hi Jackie

The reason we have decided to come back to NZ after 2 years is that we believe deep down that this is a lovely country to live in. Although not sure how I will feel once we are back in UK. We still have elderly parents there so really depends on how they are.

I think my husband is worried that I will change my mind and want to stay in UK. He loves it in NZ always has but I have taken a long time to settle. We will have to cross that bridge if we come to it

We are planning on Christmas 08 in Uk as well just to sus things out. When we do return we would like to live in Derbyshire/Cheshire area. We are originally from Bournemouth, Dorset.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by suziq_41
Hi Jackie

The reason we have decided to come back to NZ after 2 years is that we believe deep down that this is a lovely country to live in. Although not sure how I will feel once we are back in UK. We still have elderly parents there so really depends on how they are.

I think my husband is worried that I will change my mind and want to stay in UK. He loves it in NZ always has but I have taken a long time to settle. We will have to cross that bridge if we come to it

We are planning on Christmas 08 in Uk as well just to sus things out. When we do return we would like to live in Derbyshire/Cheshire area. We are originally from Bournemouth, Dorset.
Lovely areas, we spent some time in Derbyshire (we live on the borders of lancs,cheshire and Derbyshire!! so we have the best of both worlds..being near a City and never far from countryside) we visited Bakewell...I always wanted to taste a real Bakewell tart and it is devine...not great for the hips but you only live once!!..Glossop has some lovely areas as does Hayfield (the use to have a Jazz festival..not sure if they still do) and they were just wonderful...they call Hayfield the "little Venice"!! because there are a few old stone bridges over little rivers etc... lots of lovely little villages in both counties....Buxton is nice and very victorian...and cheshire...is a lovely county softer in "outlook" but just as pretty...we are looking to live in Marple or Strines...(just have to win the lottery first!!) but then there are areas around Chester and you are not far from Liverpool which is having loads of money spent on the centre I think they are building the "biggest" (at the moment Manchesters Trafford Centre is) shopping centre in Europe..so again the best of both worlds....
We do not dislike Aus...it is a good place to live but after over 9 years and still missing family and friends (my mum died unexpectedly while we were over here....a couple of years ago and only 68...I resented the fact I was "robbed" of my time with her and we don't want that to happen with our remaining parents....)and it has never really felt like home..but like I say..you never know where you will end up...we now try and not look to far into the future unless you have to...as we have learnt...life brings things into the mix and you could end up somewhere you never thought....
Anyway have to go...tea to make and I am enjoying a windy and wet Perth this afternoon....it's very rare we get weather like this....and we find it Bliss...!!!
Take Care
Jackie
Old Dec 5th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck to everyone going back.

Last edited by phil01; Dec 5th 2007 at 4:53 pm.