looking for area to move to in midlands

looking for area to move to in midlands

Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for area to move to in midlands

Hi,
We are moving over to England sometime after the first of the year, we are looking for information on what areas to look for a home or flat. We have a 14 yr. old daughter and a little dog. We would like to be in the midlands area so we won't be too far from my husbands sons in London, somewhere with a realistic price range. If anyone has any information on areas like Shropshire, Nottingham or areas around there it would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Linda
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:07 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for area to move to in midlands

There are some really beautiful villages in Northamptonshire which are also good for the M1 to get to London.
Stratford on Avon is nice and good for the M40 for the same reason.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex Teesside, England Now in Edgewater, Maryland USA
Daveyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bored-silly
There are some really beautiful villages in Northamptonshire which are also good for the M1 to get to London.
Stratford on Avon is nice and good for the M40 for the same reason.

Thanks for replying... I'll do some searching
Old Oct 31st 2004, 10:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: looking for area to move to in midlands

Check out the properties currently on sale or to rent in the UK housing market on this Bradford & Bingley building society website:

http://www.marketplace.co.uk
(you can just look at their own properites on the market or "the wider market' for listings from many more estate agencies).

I have to agree with 'bored-silly's suggestions.... I adore Stratford upon Avon - I go there at least once a year and used to work in the town centre, I like the 'buzz' as it is so touristy due to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and the medieaval buildings with Shakespeare's connections.

Also nearby Warwick is nice as well as most parts of Leamington Spa. Kenilworth is pretty too. All around the Stratford/Warwick area are pretty villages...especially so going towards South Warwickshire and the old straight Roman road (Fosse Way) leading down through Kineton to the Cotswolds and on to Bath. Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire will be expensive - more so as you get closer to London.

Evesham (SW of Stratford) is also nice....famed for its orchards and the 'Vale of Evesham'.

However, the closer you are to the motorway network the more expensive property is likely to cost. Shropshire is going quite a long way out from London - although the countryside is gorgeous with some beautiful towns like Ludlow and Shrewsbury you will be on the Welsh borders and the journey will be tedious - you would be caught up in the nightmarish traffic on the M6 and /or M42 around Birmingham, the 2nd largest city in England. Nottinghamshire would probably be more feasible; you can journey to London via the M1 motorway and you would avoid Birmingham. There are some nice towns and villages in Leicestershire too.

What appeals to you? Would you like to live in a large city, a small or large town, a village or 'out in the sticks'?

I'll see if I can find some websites for you.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Check out the properties currently on sale or to rent in the UK housing market on this Bradford & Bingley building society website:

http://www.marketplace.co.uk
(you can just look at their own properites on the market or "the wider market' for listings from many more estate agencies).

I have to agree with 'bored-silly's suggestions.... I adore Stratford upon Avon - I go there at least once a year and used to work in the town centre, I like the 'buzz' as it is so touristy due to the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and the medieaval buildings with Shakespeare's connections.

Also nearby Warwick is nice as well as most parts of Leamington Spa. Kenilworth is pretty too. All around the Stratford/Warwick area are pretty villages...especially so going towards South Warwickshire and the old straight Roman road (Fosse Way) leading down through Kineton to the Cotswolds and on to Bath. Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire will be expensive - more so as you get closer to London.

Evesham (SW of Stratford) is also nice....famed for its orchards and the 'Vale of Evesham'.

However, the closer you are to the motorway network the more expensive property is likely to cost. Shropshire is going quite a long way out from London - although the countryside is gorgeous with some beautiful towns like Ludlow and Shrewsbury you will be on the Welsh borders and the journey will be tedious - you would be caught up in the nightmarish traffic on the M6 and /or M42 around Birmingham, the 2nd largest city in England. Nottinghamshire would probably be more feasible; you can journey to London via the M1 motorway and you would avoid Birmingham. There are some nice towns and villages in Leicestershire too.

What appeals to you? Would you like to live in a large city, a small or large town, a village or 'out in the sticks'?

I'll see if I can find some websites for you.

We lived in Northamptonshire and there are some lovely places, beautiful countryside and on a really positive note, houses are just not selling and many are reducing their prices. They think there will be a 10% decrees in the value of most homes in the next year. There are some beautiful country villages and towns.

London in a couple of hours (with traffic), Birmingham in 45 mins, Coventry in 1/2 hr. Lots of jobs in the area especially around the 'Drift' site, moterway is near so travelling is quite good.

Hope this helps,

Mandy
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

[

Evesham (SW of Stratford) is also nice....famed for its orchards and the 'Vale of Evesham'. Quote

I wouldn't bother with Evesham, unless you like being around vegetable brains and inbreds. But the above are all good places.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 2:36 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this site. Loads of info...

http://www.upmystreet.com/
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:40 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Ironbridge is a pleasant place, worth a look - thought about buying there myself
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:07 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
Hi,
We are moving over to England sometime after the first of the year, we are looking for information on what areas to look for a home or flat. We have a 14 yr. old daughter and a little dog. We would like to be in the midlands area so we won't be too far from my husbands sons in London, somewhere with a realistic price range. If anyone has any information on areas like Shropshire, Nottingham or areas around there it would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Linda
Hi, we came back last year to Derby and we can't wait to get away from here! We can't afford to buy anywhere as house prices in the 3 years we were away have rocketed. But derby is cheaper than Nottingham so have a look at www.rightmove.co.uk to see what you can get for your money. Some of the villages around here are nice though. Hope you have a better experience than us.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:43 pm
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Worcestershire area..... Bromsgrove, Droitwich and Worcester, they're all nice areas. Worcester is the cheaper option. Although I have noticed the prices are dropping slightly. The market is pretty stagnant at the moment, everyone's waiting to see what happens.

There's also, Kidderminster, Stourport-on-Severn and lot's of surrounding villages.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:34 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holte end
Try Worcestershire area..... Bromsgrove, Droitwich and Worcester, they're all nice areas. Worcester is the cheaper option. Although I have noticed the prices are dropping slightly. The market is pretty stagnant at the moment, everyone's waiting to see what happens.

There's also, Kidderminster, Stourport-on-Severn and lot's of surrounding villages.
Yep, Bewdley, Hagley, Chaddesley Corbett, Rock, Stone to name but a few.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:26 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Alvechurch a gorgeous little village near redditch. Your surrounded by green fields but not far from motorway, train station, canal & boatyard fantastic walks, 10 mins drive to Lickey Hills. House prices range from £160,000 upwards. There is a first and middle school in village which are really good. I love where I live and if Perth doesnt work out for us (if we ever get there) I would definately come back here.

www.darrenblower-estateagents.co.uk or Harpers on www.fish4homes.co.uk

Also if you do a search on Alvechurch there is quite alot.

Hope this helps, happy hunting, good luck

Sel x
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:40 pm
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sel
I live in Alvechurch a gorgeous little village near redditch. Your surrounded by green fields but not far from motorway, train station, canal & boatyard fantastic walks, 10 mins drive to Lickey Hills. House prices range from £160,000 upwards. There is a first and middle school in village which are really good. I love where I live and if Perth doesnt work out for us (if we ever get there) I would definately come back here.

www.darrenblower-estateagents.co.uk or Harpers on www.fish4homes.co.uk

Also if you do a search on Alvechurch there is quite alot.

Hope this helps, happy hunting, good luck

Sel x

Hey, Alvechurch...my old stomping ground!!! The Red Lion was a regular haunt!!

I agree with you, Alvechurch is a beautiful place, you may be in for a bit of a shock when you get to Perth though. We've been here 4 months and boy do I miss the leafiness of the UK!! All those windy lanes, green fields and hills, don't get that here mate!

Still wouldn't go back though!!!! The lifestyle and the Indian Ocean kind of makes up for it in a way!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:56 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holte end
Hey, Alvechurch...my old stomping ground!!! The Red Lion was a regular haunt!!

I agree with you, Alvechurch is a beautiful place, you may be in for a bit of a shock when you get to Perth though. We've been here 4 months and boy do I miss the leafiness of the UK!! All those windy lanes, green fields and hills, don't get that here mate!

Still wouldn't go back though!!!! The lifestyle and the Indian Ocean kind of makes up for it in a way!

Go to The Red Lion alot and into The Swan and when desperate even The Working Mens Club I have horses so I agree I'm sure I will miss the green alot. Totally up for the big adventure tho and yes I'm certain the beaches etc are stunning and will make up for alot - wont be bringing horses, costs a fortune Glad to hear you luv it. We are right at the start but are determined to get there, so might see you there one day (hopefully)

Sel x
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

shakes-uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Loughborough isn't too expensive if you find the right place but I'm not sure I'd recommend living here - full of students (of which I am one, admittedly).

Your daughter will most likely tire of the woeful transport links too, if not now then in the future when she wants to be out past 10pm...

Nottingham itself isn't somewhere I'd want to be with a family, plenty to do but has a worrying gun crime problem. Expensive too, if I remember correctly.

I'd go with the suggestions above and aim a little further down the country - Northamptonshire always looks nice when I drive through on my way home to sunny Reading

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.