London named best city in the world by TripAdvisor

London named best city in the world by TripAdvisor

Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:22 am
Banned

bradoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default London named best city in the world by TripAdvisor

Not surprised, it is an amazing place.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ipAdvisor.html

And this is from travelers themselves, not people with a hidden agenda.

To be crowned the world’s best destination in the Olympic year by millions of travellers is a tremendous honour for London", said Emma Shaw, a spokesperson for TripAdvisor. "It’s fantastic to see the capital recognised and rewarded by those that have really experienced the city – travellers themselves.”
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London named best city in the world by TripAdvisor

Well like anywhere there are pluses and minuses to the place.

A travellers' survey doesn't really tell you what it's like to live in such a place.

On balance I prefer here to some places I've lived in the UK. On the other hand it's not the best place either. Some people love it, some people would hate to live there.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:22 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Having traveled the world and now living in North America...London is the best city in the world..IMO...with New York 2nd and Singapore 3rd.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well like anywhere there are pluses and minuses to the place.

A travellers' survey doesn't really tell you what it's like to live in such a place.

On balance I prefer here to some places I've lived in the UK. On the other hand it's not the best place either. Some people love it, some people would hate to live there.
There's a lot to be said for popular tourist spots NOT being desirable places to live.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter (born in England) and her American husband were in London in June. My son-in-law absolutely loved London - said there is so much to see and do there, so much history, wonderful museums and he loved the London pubs!! They both had a wonderful time there.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:22 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

London is a great place to visit, so many things to see and do for tourists. Although living here is really not all it's cracked up to be!

I agree with the OP, being crowned with that honour is good news
Old Sep 20th 2012, 1:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived and worked in London for several years, also visited it as a "tourist" many times in the last thirty years. You can never run out of new things to discover in London; hidden squares, nice eighteenth and nineteenth century houses, churches, synagogues, museums minor and major.. Maybe you can say the same about New York City (another of my favorite cities,) but somehow the simple grid pattern in New York makes hidden nooks & crannies less likely in NYC.

We have a couple of favourite pubs we go back to once in a while, the Spread Eagle in Camden Town for instance, which was our local back in the mid-1970s and that fixed point reminds me that the city and its localities change out of all recognition at a fast pace but London still retains its unique identity. The menu at the Spread Eagle is a bit different now for instance..