Loaded question

Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:21 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loaded question

I think parts of Manchester might be ok, and it would have strong public transport links which is great. Derby probably a cheaper area again, but more rural so less public transport and probably less jobs too although I might be wrong about that.

York is expensive, Devon I really know nothing about but I would surmise again public transport would be limited.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 3:28 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

What else is on your list of wants for your new place? Where are your jobs going to be? What line of work etc?
Old Sep 27th 2014, 7:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Okay, chime in:

Can a family of four, being careful, live on 1700£ a month in...

Manchester?

Derby?

Devon?

York?

(Continue the list, I'm still learning the geography...)
The only real variable is rent and transport. Food, clothes, utilities, insurance, holidays and so on are going to be the same wherever you live--the information's already out there on those things.

There have been a couple of links to rental websites in this thread. That leaves transport. Don't believe Chris with his sweeping statements about transport being good in rural areas--in some it might be, but in others its dire (a bus once a week, literally); that may well be reflected in the house price. You've been given two concrete examples of actual rents (eg small 2-bed in Blackburn at 500), so find other examples by looking through the rental websites.

If you or your husband intend to work, that also needs to be factored in, in terms of location and transport. Nor suprisingly, pleasant-to-live urban areas within easy reach of major industrial or commercial centres tend to be more expensive. And schools--I paid a premium of about 30% on the price of my home to be in the catchment area of a good school; its all very well paying a low price for housing if you can make that place home, but sending your kids to a school filled with kids from the sink estate down the road is going to take the shine off things quickly.

Good luck.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It would be very, very tight in many parts of the country. In many parts of southern England the rent on a three bed house is going to be best part of £1,000 if not more. In the north a rent would maybe be £500 a month, but add on council tax and a few bills and very quickly down to £100 a week to live on.
To be fair I did expand on what I said and say that it was area dependant and would be difficult in the South or SE. My comments were in relation to this area and the North.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 8:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Okay, chime in:

Can a family of four, being careful, live on 1700£ a month in...

Manchester?

Derby?

Devon?

York?

(Continue the list, I'm still learning the geography...)
Generally speaking yes, no doubt but would exclude Devon from the list. Remember that if you come in under a certain income level you will also receive child and/or working tax credits and child benefits which pushes you over £2000 a month.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

If good public transport is important to you research the evening and weekend schedules.
Our village is four miles from Aylesbury and the buses seem to run weekdays in the mornings and afternoons taking children to school and a few people to work, outside those hours they are few and far between.
Possibly other parts of the country are better served.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 1:12 am
Banned

WhoDearMeDearNoDear is an unknown quantity at this point

Like everyone else has said: Yes, but it might be a challenge. Getting a house together is costly. All those little things like silverware, area rugs, and toilet roll holders add up quick. I hope you have a little savings. If so, you'll be ok. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by tratcliffe71
Hello all,

It's finally here... I will be going to the UK in less than 2 weeks.
The plan is for me to go ahead of my family and find work and then a place to live. I hope to accomplish that in 6 weeks. I know, ambitious plans.

Anyhow, I have started the serious part of my job search and I still find that salaries in the UK vary quite a bit for the same type of work. I am not sure what kind of salary I can reasonably expect.

That being said, and here is the loaded question, can a family of 4 get by on £25,000 before tax income? What can I expect to net from that? £1400/month?
We plan to live a low key lifestyle and keep expenses down, can we manage on that in the UK?

Thanks BE!
Old Sep 28th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Remember that if you come in under a certain income level you will also receive child and/or working tax credits and child benefits which pushes you over £2000 a month.
A 3 month wait before they can Tax Credits and Child Benefit if at least one parent isn't working.

The couple cut off rate for Working Tax Credits is about 18k, hence the financial requirement to sponsor a partner being set at 18,600. If both parents work, they may get some child care payments which is paid through Working Tax Credits. The Tax Credit benefit is based on the previous years income with a 5k/2.5K disregard, so I'm not sure how they calculate that for those coming from overseas and claiming?

Just be aware that it's all change though under the welfare reforms. A few will be better off under the new system and others won't. Universal Credits; the one welfare payment; is already being rolled out in part in some areas. UC will replace the income based benefits presently known as Child Tax Credits; Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance; Working Tax Credits; Income Support; Income based Employment and Support Allowance and Housing. Different requirements and much stricter conditions for those claiming UC. Although those parents who keep their own children and just need money towards childcare, will soon get a tax free lump sum instead of having to apply to the welfare state for childcare money.

Last edited by formula; Sep 28th 2014 at 1:11 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

*sigh* I feel like I need to take tutorial classes on "everyday life stuff you should know" - there's a business opportunity waiting for someone over there!!! I can't be the only one who feels like I'm going to an alien planet... I mean, yes, most everyone here is an ex-pat, but I'm just married to one... MY life has been in Canada. Ask me almost anything, I'd love to help... but when I get over the pond, Where do I start?!

Steep learning curve doesn't begin to cover it.