Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Living in US but commuting to work in UK.

Living in US but commuting to work in UK.

Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

mattama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in US but commuting to work in UK.

Dear all

I work in the UK but would like to spend the larger part of my days off in a residence in the USA (Florida), ie. commute to work in the UK but live in the US.

I am a UK citizen. My wife would also live for the larger part of her time in the USA, with me, she has no intention of working.

I am quite happy to be considered a US resident alien for tax purposes.

I would only do this if I can find a 'kosher' way of doing it.

I am most worried about my wife being refused entry as she keeps coming and going on either a B2 or ESTA, every 6/3 months top stay 'legal' however I don't think immigration would take kindly to her keep coming for the max stay and going back to UK for just a few days or so.

This is an unusual situation because most people dont have a job that allows commuting form 4500 miles.

If anyone has any experience please could you point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

M
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in US but commuting to work in UK.

I'll tell you right off the bat - unless you're a USC you're not going to get a visa for this.

However, in the interest of giving the information, check out 'Pulaski's Way's' in the BE Wiki at the top of the page, which will give some indication as to if you may be eligible for a visa to live in the US.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

mattama is an unknown quantity at this point

civilservant

Many thanks for the quick reply.

M
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattama
If anyone has any experience please could you point me in the right direction.
With regret, there is no visa that will allow you to do what you've outlined here... and even ESTA won't work for you in this circumstance. It'd be a lot easier for you to spend your time off in some villa in southern Spain or Italy where you won't have the added complication of hurricanes 5 months of the year.
Ian
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You make it sound like you are already flying back and forth. What is your current status in the US?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattama
I would only do this if I can find a 'kosher' way of doing it.
EB5 if you've got the dosh.

E2 with wife "running" the business is not as safe but might well cost less.