Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

List of things 'To Do' before heading back?

List of things 'To Do' before heading back?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default List of things 'To Do' before heading back?

Anyone got any advice on what I should be doing and organizing (cancelling stuff etc.) before we head back from Oz?

I just cant seem to get my backside into gear!

Mandy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List of things 'To Do' before heading back?

You've really made up your mind to go then, Mandy?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:07 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Mandy, you're heading off home then?

I s'pose you do everything you did in the UK before you came here...but in reverse!

When are you looking to go back? Do you think it will be for good?

Good luck in whatever you do.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hey Mandy, you're heading off home then?

I s'pose you do everything you did in the UK before you came here...but in reverse!

When are you looking to go back? Do you think it will be for good?

Good luck in whatever you do.
Hi Mandy, make lists and lots of them. Organise all your flight details, luggage, shipping requirements and money. Go on rightmove.com and look for rental properties. Its difficult cos you can't really rent until you're actually here, but have a look at the prices. Ask family and friends to 'vet' places for you. Phone the local school and check for vacancies (as they may be at full capacity). We landed and managed to sort everything out within a week. If you've still got your house then arrange for the utilities to be set up. You'll be fine honestly, it really isn't as bad as you think. Be prepared for all the comments from your neighbours. They're interested for about a week, then shuffle off onto something else. At the school I got so fed up of having to explain why we'd come back, I'd walk into the playground and I'd hear "you're back then!!!" Aaarrggghhhhh! i think everyone in this village knows more about my life than I do! Take care love annie
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by scrawni
Anyone got any advice on what I should be doing and organizing (cancelling stuff etc.) before we head back from Oz?

I just cant seem to get my backside into gear!

Mandy
Check out some moving company web sites. They all have the pre move checklist. i.e. 8 weeks before, 4 weeks before, 2 weeks, etc.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:56 pm
Glaswegian

Do the complete tourist thing before you leave - and enjoy it!

Best wishes.

Mrs G

Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:52 pm
scoobydoo

Mandy...this is my list so hope it helps!

(in no particular order!!)

Schools - here and there
removals
letting agents - breaking lease
CV's
change of address letters
postal redirection
flights
travel insurance
cancel utilities
sell car - roadworthy certificate
banks
broadband
tax - here and there
medicare
racv
home insurance
cancel direct debits
tell family and friends
book holiday ging home
cancel ambulance cover

Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Yes, we have decided to head home. We fly to Brisbane on the 2nd March for a week before heading home on the 9th March with Singapore airline (got a really good price on their own web site too).

There are lots of reasons why we are heading back and we have had alot to deal with since being in Oz. As some of you know, we had some crap with selling the house in the uk, on top of that our son couldn't settle at all and even now deperately wants to go home.

At the start, I did have terrible homesickness but that has levelled off over the last couple of months. To be honest, if the house sale would have gone ahead then we may have stayed longer but I think it forced our hand and made our mind up for us. We just cannot afford to pay anymore mortgage on a house in the uk aswell as live and support our life here. Renting it out could take months, even more money so, we are heading home.

We are heading back to our own house which may be a blessing as we won't have to live in a rental. Our stuff is leaving on the 28th.

There are alot of things that we could have done differently, and maybe, just maybe, it might have worked out for us. Saying that, I am so happy to be heading home to my wonderful family and my lovely daughter.

As my husband has said, 'what's ment to be will be'. I strongly agree with him. We will come back for holidays sometime as there are alot of things we want to still do and see.

I think that this journey has made me see things that are important to me far more clearly. I have learnt alot about myself and I feel that I have grown as a person. I have no regrets, lots of memories and have made some wonderful friendships, some of which are from this forum.

Now, lets see what the next year brings me I will be looking forward to it.

Mandy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:01 pm
scoobydoo

I think that this journey has made me see things that are important to me far more clearly. I have learnt alot about myself and I feel that I have grown as a person. I have no regrets, lots of memories and have made some wonderful friendships,

Mandy

We are a month behind you and fly to the UK on 15th April, doing 4 weeks round New Zealand!!
We feel the same, in that we have learnt so much about what is important in our lives, we feel like we have been on a great adventure but are so looking forward to being home. That was reinforced when I told my best mate this morning and she cried being so glad we were coming back!!

Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yup, I decided to email a few people with the news the last couple of days. I thought that at least everyone can tell everyone else, save us doing it

I wanted to stop off somewhere on the way back but hubbie said, quote, "If we are going home, then we are going home, we need to get some sort of normality back". Can't argue with that can I?

Mandy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:47 pm
scoobydoo

Yup, I decided to email a few people with the news the last couple of days. I thought that at least everyone can tell everyone else, save us doing it

I wanted to stop off somewhere on the way back but hubbie said, quote, "If we are going home, then we are going home, we need to get some sort of normality back". Can't argue with that can I?

Mandy

Well, not being ungrateful, but I would prefer to be going straight back for normality. But husband has been working flat out since we arrived in Australia so felt that he needed a holiday - which is fair enough!

You wouldn't believe this but last week just as we decided what we were going to do, he got made redundant!!! It was "meant to be" as my Mum quoted!!!

Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Well, not being ungrateful, but I would prefer to be going straight back for normality. But husband has been working flat out since we arrived in Australia so felt that he needed a holiday - which is fair enough!

You wouldn't believe this but last week just as we decided what we were going to do, he got made redundant!!! It was "meant to be" as my Mum quoted!!!

I strongly believe in "if its meant to be, its meant to be" moto! Our house is going on the market, but we want to get rid of it anyway. We'll then rent for a bit while we make a decision on where to live. Some days I get so despertate for the sun (its been grey and drizzly here for four days now), but other days I'm just so glad of the rain! The air feels so clean and fresh when your out walking with the kids in your wellies (and by the way New Look do some fab 'pink' welly boots). We'd be crazy to leave here, but at the same time 'something' tells me to go back (not immediately, but eventually). Only time will tell I suppose!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
I strongly believe in "if its meant to be, its meant to be" moto! Our house is going on the market, but we want to get rid of it anyway. We'll then rent for a bit while we make a decision on where to live. Some days I get so despertate for the sun (its been grey and drizzly here for four days now), but other days I'm just so glad of the rain! The air feels so clean and fresh when your out walking with the kids in your wellies (and by the way New Look do some fab 'pink' welly boots). We'd be crazy to leave here, but at the same time 'something' tells me to go back (not immediately, but eventually). Only time will tell I suppose!

been following your story.....it will soon be springtime and I feel it will make you feel much better about your decision good luck
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: List of things 'To Do' before heading back?

Here's a Top Tip:

Assuming you haven't had any claims on your car insurance in the last year or so, do get your car insurance company or insurance broker to issue you with a letter saying that you have 'no claims' on your policy (and for how many years).

It will be taken into account when you need to buy car insurance in the UK and you'll get a discount.

(We were horrified when we moved to the US and there is no such thing as a 'no claims bonus'!!! )
Old Feb 11th 2005, 1:48 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Yes, we have decided to head home. We fly to Brisbane on the 2nd March for a week before heading home on the 9th March with Singapore airline (got a really good price on their own web site too).

There are lots of reasons why we are heading back and we have had alot to deal with since being in Oz. As some of you know, we had some crap with selling the house in the uk, on top of that our son couldn't settle at all and even now deperately wants to go home.

At the start, I did have terrible homesickness but that has levelled off over the last couple of months. To be honest, if the house sale would have gone ahead then we may have stayed longer but I think it forced our hand and made our mind up for us. We just cannot afford to pay anymore mortgage on a house in the uk aswell as live and support our life here. Renting it out could take months, even more money so, we are heading home.

We are heading back to our own house which may be a blessing as we won't have to live in a rental. Our stuff is leaving on the 28th.

There are alot of things that we could have done differently, and maybe, just maybe, it might have worked out for us. Saying that, I am so happy to be heading home to my wonderful family and my lovely daughter.

As my husband has said, 'what's ment to be will be'. I strongly agree with him. We will come back for holidays sometime as there are alot of things we want to still do and see.

I think that this journey has made me see things that are important to me far more clearly. I have learnt alot about myself and I feel that I have grown as a person. I have no regrets, lots of memories and have made some wonderful friendships, some of which are from this forum.

Now, lets see what the next year brings me I will be looking forward to it.

Mandy
Hi Mandy

Sorry I've not had time to PM but it's been pretty hectic this end with constant visitors over 12 weeks :scared: and househunting...and work

Anyways, just wanted to wish you the very best with your new life back in the UK. I say "new" as that's what it will be as you've grown as a person and have learned a lot more about yourself and what's important to you .

I know things haven't been easy for you, your son or your daughter....and I can understand why you've chosen to go back. It's great that hubby is on board as well. What's really admirable is that you all, as a family, have stuck together throughout all this and have made this a joint decision

At least you tried it. Aus is not for everyone and you now know it's not for you. What's one mans meat is another mans poisen as they say...

The very, very best to you all Mandy. Please let us know how you have settled once you've started your new "adventure" ........and take that well earned rest now you know it's all over and you're going home

Good luck mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.