Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A LIST OF POSITIVES FOR THE UK …..

A LIST OF POSITIVES FOR THE UK …..

Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:00 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all
Default A LIST OF POSITIVES FOR THE UK …..

Okay, I am going to try this.

Let see how many positives people can come up with FOR Great Britain

Here is ten for a starters

1. Driving standards are very high and roads are good
2. Houses are well built & good quality
3. The British sense of humour is probably the best in the world
4. Beer & pubs
5. The history
6. The countryside
7. Public transport
8. NHS (go on laugh)
9. Television – BBC productions are some of the BEST
10. Innovations that lead the world
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A LIST OF POSITIVES FOR THE UK …..

Sorry I don't agree at all about the houses. Most of them are shameful compared to the standard of houses being built now here in Adelaide. I'd have to put houses on my list of NEGATIVES about UK.

However I fully agree with all your others and I would add:
- Great tourist attractions of all different types
- Some excellent shopping centres
- Proximity to Europe with all its diversity and amazing cultures
- Fun traditions such as COLD Christmas, Halloween, Bonfire night
- Generally good schools
- Lots of choice in the supermarkets and many other shops

I'll come back to this again because I'm sure I'll think of plenty more!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.

For me there are lot's of things to miss.I am not going to list certain categories individually but for me I willl list a few:

1.All the major events like the football ,Wimbledon, The grand national, Glastonbury, the grand prix e.t.c the list is endless.

2. Radio : 1 & 2. The radio in the U.K actually talk about what is going on in the world and have people on the show.

3. Decent bands. O.K there is some good music in Australia but I miss the whole "music scene" in the U.K

4. A good curry.

5. A summers day in England,rare but unbeatable when you get one.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:31 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey

5. A summers day in England,rare but unbeatable when you get one.
I miss how excited everyone would get on that first warm day of summer. You just had to go down the pub after work and sit in the garden and bask in the sun because you never knew when it would happen again
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

things i miss about uk......
rain
rivers
trains
dont have these in uae
certain shops...tesco,asda,etc
fish and chips
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Green grass year round

Historic sites to visit

Great access to the countryside (footpaths, rights of way, etc)

Pubs (some of them)

Family and old friends

Good Public Transport, even in outlying areas

Great supermarkets

erm....

Not enough to consider moving back for me.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap prescriptions.

Good (but abused) Benefits system.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:35 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Cheap prescriptions.

Good (but abused) Benefits system.
Abused you bet..............Most of the illegal immigrants here in Spain end up going to the UK via France.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:42 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Within 10 mile radius of us all the loads of different things to do, we have pretty little villages, towns, rivers, different kind of beaches, countryside, it's all interesting and diverse. In Australia it was bush, identical suburbs and beach (must admit a very nice beach!) all got very samey.

The community spirit and loads of things going on. This weekend within a 10 mile radius we can choose from fetes, talks, arts festivals, plays, jumble sales, comedy shows, car boot sales, circus, national trust activities, RSPB activities, concerts etc etc. There is so much choice in what to do this weekend. In Carine in Perth, where we lived there was one fete a year!

I live in a small market town in Suffolk so not exactly the most happening place in the UK. I remembered when we came back from Oz we felt like wehad moved to the middle of London or something as there is so much to do around here!! In Carine it all felt so sterile and boring!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Great access to the countryside (footpaths, rights of way, etc.)
agree with this one 100% - which other countries have a similar public footpath setup to that in the UK? Certainly not the USA: the first time my US inlaws visited my parents' village in Suffolk they couldn't get over the fact that you could roam around the countryside, through fields, etc on public rights of way.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:42 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas and all the weeks building up to it, the buzz and smiley faces in the markets. AWE!!! And mince pie's
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
agree with this one 100% - which other countries have a similar public footpath setup to that in the UK? Certainly not the USA: the first time my US inlaws visited my parents' village in Suffolk they couldn't get over the fact that you could roam around the countryside, through fields, etc on public rights of way.
and I agree 100%. when my USC husband first lived in the UK he could not believe we could roam the countryside etc etc just as you say ....i miss that so much here and is one of the big drawbacks as i am very much an outdoor person. our UK house is in the Surrey Hills and that is a huge positive for the UK for me.....

http://www.surreyhills.org/The-Surrey-Hills.aspx

Last edited by TruBrit; Oct 10th 2008 at 9:56 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:48 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the accessibility of the countryside is something English people take for granted. I know people who live in very rural locations in Canada who have nowhere to walk but along the roads. They'd be better off in town where there are generally good walking and biking paths.

And of course there's often dangerous wildlife. Interesting, maybe, but I don't want to worry about bears and cougars when out in the countryside.

The English countryside is domesticated (there's a great book by someone called Rackham. The History of the English Countryside? which explains how even the wild looking bits have been carefully tended and harvested over thousands of years.) That isn't to everyone's taste, but it suits mine.

Bev
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

I miss everything posted, but especially just that feel of town life. I live in utter suburbia where you have to drive EVERYWHERE and we live in air con most of the time. Believe me, that gets old very quickly and I relish trips back to Whitby where I can just use my legs and walk everywhere. This thread is making me feel very homesick.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
I miss everything posted, but especially just that feel of town life. I live in utter suburbia where you have to drive EVERYWHERE and we live in air con most of the time. Believe me, that gets old very quickly and I relish trips back to Whitby where I can just use my legs and walk everywhere. This thread is making me feel very homesick.
This post made me laugh, as I don't drive and therefore walk or bus everywhere when OH is at work (much to my 6 year old's dismay ) and the looks we get because we are WALKING! OMG, that what those things at the end of your arse are for! (Mind you, it is a bit of a killer in the rather hilly area we live in, especially when it's hot!)

Otherwise agree with pretty much everything on everyone else's lists, but my number one positivef for the UK?

My mum and dad live there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.