Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Life in the United Kingdom

Life in the United Kingdom

Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Life in the United Kingdom

14/24. Then again, I'm Irish, not British! Though I come from a few miles from the border with Northern Ireland and I never heard of "Ulster Scots" as a dialect.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

10/24...total guesswork for the most part. Included some very ambiguous questions, I thought.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
10/24...total guesswork for the most part. Included some very ambiguous questions, I thought.
Yes, for example the question about largest number of UK immigrants in the 80's - this could either mean number of people living in the UK in the 80's who immigrated, or the number of people who immigrated to the UK during the 80's. Two very different things - I interpreted it as the former, but I think it meant the latter.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:49 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

10/24, I think this test smells...end of
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

15/24. And I fluked about a third of those by guessing.
That was easily the most boring set of questions I've ever answered. Surely they could come up with something a bit more exciting.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Aw crap, I guess that means I'm not really British!
No way should you allow that to worry you one little bit!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:39 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
15/24. And I fluked about a third of those by guessing.
That was easily the most boring set of questions I've ever answered. Surely they could come up with something a bit more exciting.
what like who won the world cup in 1966 and what is the closing time of the british pub...

or how fast can you neck a pint of beer at closing time..and who is top of the premier league...
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
what like who won the world cup in 1966 and what is the closing time of the british pub...

or how fast can you neck a pint of beer at closing time..and who is top of the premier league...
Important stuff to make you blend in and less likely to get the shit kicked out of you.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:07 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
Important stuff to make you blend in and less likely to get the shit kicked out of you.
how did you guess..
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

My score is about the average for all the brits that have posted here: 13/24. Not bad for somebody who has never lived there.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:44 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. 14.

Always great to take a test with grammatically incorrect questions:

"Which of the following TWO types of people get their prescriptions free of charge?"

I guess you only need to know asinine information, not how to write correctly.

I think it is also less than 100% true to claim that 'information in the census is kept secret for 100 years'. Sure, some might be, but some is also aggregated and released.

Idiotic test.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:54 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
13/24, though, like many others, this is neither the kind of stuff you learn at school, nor by playing pub quizzes, or reading the Sun, so I highly doubt anyone who actually grew up in the UK would know all these answers. Unless you read the guide to citizenship they've published, you're pretty much screwed, and when you finally get there, would be considered such a bore that no one would want to know you anyway.
Ding! We have a winner!

SWMBO had to do this for real, back when we lived in Blighty. She showed me the practice stuff and it was full of questions that didn't really have a concrete answer.

Example: "Who gets paid more for doing the same job - men or women?" Well, I know that the law says they should get the same. I also know that the reality is that usually men get more. But the only way to find out the "correct" answer is to see what it says in the book.

Incidentally, you get 40 mins or so to do the real test. She took 3 and got, ISTR, only one "wrong".
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:34 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Ding! We have a winner!

SWMBO had to do this for real, back when we lived in Blighty. She showed me the practice stuff and it was full of questions that didn't really have a concrete answer.

Example: "Who gets paid more for doing the same job - men or women?" Well, I know that the law says they should get the same. I also know that the reality is that usually men get more. But the only way to find out the "correct" answer is to see what it says in the book.

Incidentally, you get 40 mins or so to do the real test. She took 3 and got, ISTR, only one "wrong".
Christ, but that's a dumb question for a citizenship test. It might as well have been "How long is this?". A better test for citizenship would be a game of Monopoly or 20 random Trivial Pursuit questions.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:42 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
Christ, but that's a dumb question for a citizenship test. It might as well have been "How long is this?". A better test for citizenship would be a game of Monopoly or 20 random Trivial Pursuit questions.
Ah, but you're forgetting the Iron Law. The purpose of the test is not to establish the extent of the subject's knowledge of life in the UK. It's to create work and preserve jobs for the bureaucrats who administer the test.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:55 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Ah, but you're forgetting the Iron Law. The purpose of the test is not to establish the extent of the subject's knowledge of life in the UK. It's to create work and preserve jobs for the bureaucrats who administer the test.
No shit!

I'd love to hear Sir Humphrey's take on the citz test, wouldn't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.