Reload this Page >

Letting / Bank Account conundrum

Letting / Bank Account conundrum

Old May 21st 2019, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Crag Rat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Letting / Bank Account conundrum

Hello!

New to the forum...very glad to join. I'm a British / United States dual-citizen who's never lived in the UK, but am relocating from the USA very soon. This means I'll be facing the house letting / bank account issue: how and which comes first? I have employment arranged, a letter from the employer, and a UK passport, but all of my finances are in US banks. Bank of America has some sort of relationship with Barclays, but not really certain if this helps me in any way. I'm certain a letting agent will want to see employment AND a UK bank account; I'm certain a bank would like to see a UK address. I have no family left in the UK anymore, although plenty of friends (however, I do take care of matters like this by myself...prevents friendships from becoming otherwise).

What advice can you give? How have you dealt with it, if you have?

Thanks!

Crag Rat
Old May 21st 2019, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letting / Bank Account conundrum

Originally Posted by Crag Rat
.... I'm certain a letting agent will want to see employment AND a UK bank account; ….
OR lots of cash - IOW be prepared to make additional deposit/ prepayment of several months rent.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 21st 2019 at 4:31 pm.
Old May 21st 2019, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

ABCeasyas123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I emailed a Countrywide Estate Agent regarding this exact question the other day because I have the same concern. Here was the reply "As far as I know you can still secure a rental without a UK bank account, the overseas references tend to be slightly easier due to the amount of information we need. I deal with lots of international clients and tend to be fine"

I'm not sure I 100% trust that it will be smooth sailing and assume there'll be some kind of snag in getting approved for a rental but this was at least a little reassuring so I thought I'd pass it along in case it helps you!
Old May 21st 2019, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

"lots of cash...." Yes, already planned on that!

Thanks!
Old May 21st 2019, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

ABCeasyas123: Thank you....yes, something to ponder and investigate. I also have stellar references (hard copies with contact info) from everyone I've ever rented from, so I'm hoping that'll help, too.

Thanks!
Old May 22nd 2019, 3:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crag Rat
Hello!

New to the forum...very glad to join. I'm a British / United States dual-citizen who's never lived in the UK, but am relocating from the USA very soon. This means I'll be facing the house letting / bank account issue: how and which comes first? I have employment arranged, a letter from the employer, and a UK passport, but all of my finances are in US banks. Bank of America has some sort of relationship with Barclays, but not really certain if this helps me in any way. I'm certain a letting agent will want to see employment AND a UK bank account; I'm certain a bank would like to see a UK address. I have no family left in the UK anymore, although plenty of friends (however, I do take care of matters like this by myself...prevents friendships from becoming otherwise).

What advice can you give? How have you dealt with it, if you have?

Thanks!

Crag Rat
I don't think you'll have a problem with securing a rental property. Your UK passport will take care of the 'Right to Rent' legislation. You have a contract of UK employment plus a letter from your UK employer, so that's your ability to pay the rent sorted out. New arrivals aren't expected to have a permanent UK address, just provide the letting agent with the address of your temporary accommodation. Provide your latest bank statement from your US bank (make sure it has your name on it), with the explanation that you'll be opening a UK bank account as soon as you get a permanent address. Be prepared to pay up to 6 months rent in advance (although not all letting agents will require that), and I think you're good to go. Best of luck.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

LBelyk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Be prepared to pay up to 6 months rent in advance (although not all letting agents will require that), and I think you're good to go. Best of luck.
Yikes, 6 months up front, really? I'm a Canadian relocating to the UK for the first time, the original question is something I've been worrying over. Since we won't have UK passports, will we still be okay to rent without a bank account? We will have visas of course, and can provide my husband's contract for the job we're moving for. But should we really bring multiple thousands of pounds in cash to cover the rental deposit (even if it's not 6 months, we have to move to London so it will still be multiple thousands)? It feels strange to carry around that much money.
And if we don't do cash, does anyone have experience using something like TransferWise? Or, can we open a bank account before getting a permanent address?
We have moved abroad before, but we've always found and secured a place online, which meant we had access to all our funds for the deposits. This time we're trying out the whole get there first then see places thing.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4th 2019, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A suitcase full of used £20 notes ?
Old Jun 4th 2019, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBelyk
Yikes, 6 months up front, really? I'm a Canadian relocating to the UK for the first time, the original question is something I've been worrying over. Since we won't have UK passports, will we still be okay to rent without a bank account? We will have visas of course, and can provide my husband's contract for the job we're moving for. But should we really bring multiple thousands of pounds in cash to cover the rental deposit (even if it's not 6 months, we have to move to London so it will still be multiple thousands)? It feels strange to carry around that much money. ….
I would strongly advise against carrying significant quantities of cash internationally, for several reasons. I have generally understood that when advised to "pay cash" for rent, it is more general advice that you need means to transfer value to the landlord, that gives the landlord confidence, so not a cheque, rather than that you need a fist full of high value banknotes. That might mean, for example, transferring funds directly to the landlord, or using a debit or credit card to pay, though obviously there will be a fee for that in most cases if you're using a non-UK card.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

the extra suitcase on the flight will cost more than the money in it!
Old Jun 4th 2019, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would strongly advise against carrying significant quantities of cash internationally, for several reasons. I have generally understood that when advised to "pay cash" for rent, it is more general advice that you need means to transfer value to the landlord, that gives the landlord confidence, so not a cheque, rather than that you need a fist full of high value banknotes. That might mean, for example, transferring funds directly to the landlord, or using a debit or credit card to pay, though obviously there will be a fee for that in most cases if you're using a non-UK card.
Thank you for bringing me back to reality here. We don't do bank transfers as a regular thing here in Canada, I'm aware of them as a useful thing from when we lived in the Netherlands, but we had a bank account there by the time we started using that method. How would it work without a bank account?
Old Jun 4th 2019, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBelyk
Thank you for bringing me back to reality here. We don't do bank transfers as a regular thing here in Canada, I'm aware of them as a useful thing from when we lived in the Netherlands, but we had a bank account there by the time we started using that method. How would it work without a bank account?
As one example, you could use Transferwise and make the payment direct to the landlord. You would need to set up an account with Transferwise first.
The way it works is you transfer money from your US bank account to Transferwise, they convert it to GBP then send that to wherever you tell them to send it - in this case the landlord.

Old Jun 5th 2019, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
As one example, you could use Transferwise and make the payment direct to the landlord. You would need to set up an account with Transferwise first.
The way it works is you transfer money from your US bank account to Transferwise, they convert it to GBP then send that to wherever you tell them to send it - in this case the landlord.
I’ve done this to transfer money from my US bank account to my sister’s bank in England. Once you have made a payment to someone new it saves the details so you don’t have to re-enter their bank info every time.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you MidAtlantic and durham_lad ! This makes things sound much easier.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 2:27 am
Just Joined

illepDrype is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Letting / Bank Account conundrum

We will need to open a bank account soon, so all this information is really helpful. Thanks
Are all the banks on Bonaire pretty similar in terms of services provided, interest rates etc? Or in other words - would you recommend any particular bank?
Thanks
Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.