Leeds

Old May 2nd 2021, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leeds

Here’s a couple of pictures of the beach at Cullercoats. I expect the local girls really do dress like that.

https://www.visitnorthtyneside.com/a...es/activity/9/

The American connection -

https://eclecticlight.co/2016/02/25/...ose-and-place/

Last edited by robin1234; May 2nd 2021 at 12:43 pm.
Old May 2nd 2021, 1:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
The Wirral is really a very nice area, you feel like your kind of in an Island at times....as "scouce" said NB has a load to offer, I habe done the walk from NB to West Kirkby which is my favourite side of the Wirral"overlooking the estuary and Wales, I love to be able to see hills in the background and the Welsh vista from there is fab. If it were not for the weather we would of considered moving there ourselves (as I love to see the sea) but if that does not bother you then "The Wirral" or "Lytham" further up the coast would be great places to live. Norwich is just lovely and the city centre is very nice and your not far from the coast. Lincoln was nice but way to small for us the coast is also very nice, I like a city with history and cathedrals etc and either by a large river or near the coast) Worcester is very nice and cheaper than say Salisbury, Winchester. We visited Durham just before lockdown (we stopped off on our way to Northumberland) it seemed nice but a small city although you do have Newcastle for a bigger city about 25miles (ish) away. We use visit our son when he lived in Bristol and we loved Bradford upon Avon, Bath and neater the cost Portishead and Clevedon were very nice. Hope this helps
Thanks brits. I'm reasonably familiar with places in the south and south west, but growing up and as a young adult, life ended at Cockfosters apart from the odd foray to Cambridge and my uncle and aunt who lived near Fressingfield, so all info about more northerly places in particular is very helpful.
Old May 2nd 2021, 1:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes I agree with brits1 about Durham. On the plus side, it’s on the main London to Edinburgh railway line, so easy access to Newcastle, York & Darlington - in fact London & Edinburgh are only a few hours. On the minus side, it’s too small to have a real city vibe. Cathedral and castle are good, though.

Thinking of Tyneside, if I was to move there I’d think seriously of Whitley Bay or Cullercoats. (I think neighboring Tynemouth is a bit expensive.) Great seaside & beaches and teashops, fish & chips etc. But also excellent buses and metro. (Tyne and Wear Metro.)
Here’s a couple of pictures of the beach at Cullercoats. I expect the local girls really do dress like that.

https://www.visitnorthtyneside.com/a...es/activity/9/

The American connection -

https://eclecticlight.co/2016/02/25/...ose-and-place/

I had no idea about the Winslow Homer thing, but you can def see the Turner influence. We would probably prefer to bea bit more south, but nothing is ruled out. Finances will have a tight limit so other things must remain flexible.
Old May 2nd 2021, 3:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Thanks brits. I'm reasonably familiar with places in the south and south west, but growing up and as a young adult, life ended at Cockfosters apart from the odd foray to Cambridge and my uncle and aunt who lived near Fressingfield, so all info about more northerly places in particular is very helpful.
One of these days I’ll actually visit Cockfosters. The station building, especially the train shed itself, is said to be spectacular. But sitting on a Piccadilly train from LHR to KX is excruciating enough, it would take a certain amount of grit and determination to sit there for another 45 minutes for Cockfosters.

Christ Church in Cockfosters looks really interesting. It was built in 1839 which was a really interesting time in church architecture. The church is now “conservative Anglican evangelical” which sounds pretty dire.
Old May 2nd 2021, 5:46 pm

One of these days I’ll actually visit Cockfosters. The station building, especially the train shed itself, is said to be spectacular. But sitting on a Piccadilly train from LHR to KX is excruciating enough, it would take a certain amount of grit and determination to sit there for another 45 minutes for Cockfosters.

Christ Church in Cockfosters looks really interesting. It was built in 1839 which was a really interesting time in church architecture. The church is now “conservative Anglican evangelical” which sounds pretty dire.

I haven't been there for a very, very long time. I do like tube stations though, in fact the whole Tube. This is Cockfosters, a very 1930s vibe. Staying well away from evangelicals of any stripe.

Old May 6th 2021, 7:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Moving from Cockfosters back to Liverpool, here’s a brilliant story from the BBC about food.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-57006178

I could definitely find something to eat on that menu.
Old May 7th 2021, 10:44 pm

Moving from Cockfosters back to Liverpool, here’s a brilliant story from the BBC about food.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-57006178

I could definitely find something to eat on that menu.
That is interesting. I wonder if they will be reviving the Sweetbreads and Peas. I didn't know there was a freshwater sole in England.
Old May 8th 2021, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting. I wonder if they will be reviving the Sweetbreads and Peas. I didn't know there was a freshwater sole in England.
They don't! The menu says "river sole" which, in the case of the Mersey is not the same thing!

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 11th 2021 at 12:41 pm. Reason: Corrrected auto typo
Old May 11th 2021, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick
They don't! The menu says "river sole" which, in the case of the Mersey is not the same thing!

What is "river sole" exactly? It sounds like some sort of euphemism like Rocky Mountain oysters.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 11th 2021 at 12:42 pm. Reason: Edit to quote
Old May 11th 2021, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

What is "river sole" exactly? It sounds like some sort of euphemism like Rocky Mountain oysters.
I shudder to think, probably relates to discarded shoes.

Just noticed that autocorrect changed my original Mersey to Jersey!
Old May 11th 2021, 10:19 am

I figured that you didn't mean Jersey, although in New Jersey the same would probably apply as with Mersey. I've seen some strange things on the Newark shore in my time.
Old May 11th 2021, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted by Jersey…not by Mersey.
Old May 13th 2021, 12:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been to Leeds once (and that was back on New Year's Day 1985 and a long story!), so can't comment.
For god's sake don't go living in St. Helens (pronounced Sint Elens and known as shite elens to Wigginers and alike). I was born and bred in Eccleston, went to school in Windle and Rainford and those areas are okay but I'd never go back there to live. Avoid Widnes and Runcorn cos they stink of chemicals. Further north, areas around Rufford are lovely.
Cheshire has some beautiful villages but it's expensive.
I can recommend Burton-on-Trent area. Loved walking down by the river, Stapenhill gardens and the Ferry Bridge. Good access to Nottingham and Birmingham, especially by train, East Midlands Airport and Birmingham are accessible. You've got the Derbyshire Dales and Staffordshire Moorlands close by, The national Forest on your doorstep, lots of National Trust properties and Alton Towers. It was a great place to live and I regret leaving now. Property prices are fairly reasonable. Just a thought.
Old May 13th 2021, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I've only been to Leeds once (and that was back on New Year's Day 1985 and a long story!), so can't comment.
For god's sake don't go living in St. Helens (pronounced Sint Elens and known as shite elens to Wigginers and alike). I was born and bred in Eccleston, went to school in Windle and Rainford and those areas are okay but I'd never go back there to live. Avoid Widnes and Runcorn cos they stink of chemicals. Further north, areas around Rufford are lovely.
Cheshire has some beautiful villages but it's expensive.
I can recommend Burton-on-Trent area. Loved walking down by the river, Stapenhill gardens and the Ferry Bridge. Good access to Nottingham and Birmingham, especially by train, East Midlands Airport and Birmingham are accessible. You've got the Derbyshire Dales and Staffordshire Moorlands close by, The national Forest on your doorstep, lots of National Trust properties and Alton Towers. It was a great place to live and I regret leaving now. Property prices are fairly reasonable. Just a thought.

We'll check out Burton on Trent, thanks. The charity I'm working for at the moment has a presence in St. Helen's, and they told me the area was struggling.
Old May 13th 2021, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We'll check out Burton on Trent, thanks. The charity I'm working for at the moment has a presence in St. Helen's, and they told me the area was struggling.
OMG St H is the pits…it’s been struggling for decades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.