Wikiposts

Leaving the UK again

Old May 3rd 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leaving the UK again

Been such a tough time these last 4 years trying to integrate into the UK. My wife and son have never been that happy and we've decided to relocate back to Uruguay. Not been an easy deicision at all.

But family comes first and we just don't have that same family union here. The evening life and weather has also had a big impact on our decision.

We're planning to relocate by November so a lot of planning to do.

First concern is how to take our dog on the 24 hour trip!

Thanks for all the support I've received here over the past years.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the UK again

Why November? Why not wait a little longer so your wife can obtain her British citizenship?
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Why November? Why not wait a little longer so your wife can obtain her British citizenship?
It will be a lot longer before she can get her passport.
These early years of childhood are vital for our son.
27/28 months more plus another year to get her permanent residency after ILR is just way too long. Years my son will never get back.

November to coincide with the Uruguayan school year.
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a British citizen then your wife doesn't need to wait another year after she is granted ILR; she can apply immediately for British citizenship. She would need to wait for five years minus 28 days from her initial entry on a spouse visa in order to apply for ILR, so only exactly two more years from now. If your son returns to the UK in future years to settle it would mean you and his mother could come to the UK as well without restriction. Fast forward to your dotage and this could prove vital.
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see now thanks. We misunderstood the extra year.

Well after many discussions about the future (including our son settling here in later life) she still has no interest in returning to the UK or getting citizenship now unfortunately.
She suffers daily, our son too so 2 years is a long time when you feel like that.
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:53 pm

Obviously it is your decision; I just feel that it could prove very valuable in the future if your wife requires care in her later years and your son and his family are in the UK.
Old May 4th 2018, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Obviously it is your decision; I just feel that it could prove very valuable in the future if your wife requires care in her later years and your son and his family are in the UK.
Yes very valid points and I agree with you. I wish she would stay longer.
But she is putting our son first for his early years missing out on the family life.

Who knows what the immigration laws will be like in 20-30 years time.
Old May 4th 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by alfista1
Yes very valid points and I agree with you. I wish she would stay longer.
But she is putting our son first for his early years missing out on the family life.

Who knows what the immigration laws will be like in 20-30 years time.
My point exactly. A British passport would be the only guarantee.
Old May 4th 2018, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

All I can say a mother will always put their child first. He's been resilient but needs his family more than ever now. Having that close united family develops their brain in ways we can't understand.
Old May 4th 2018, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by alfista1
All I can say a mother will always put their child first. He's been resilient but needs his family more than ever now. Having that close united family develops their brain in ways we can't understand.
Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old May 4th 2018, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

So sad to hear this but it is your decision. My husband regrets daily that he did not take out a British passport years ago when he had the opportunity. I, too, wish you and your family well and happy.
Old May 5th 2018, 2:53 am
Just Joined

The wanderer. is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you using a pet transport company or going it alone?
Old May 8th 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a British citizen then your wife doesn't need to wait another year after she is granted ILR; she can apply immediately for British citizenship. She would need to wait for five years minus 28 days from her initial entry on a spouse visa in order to apply for ILR, so only exactly two more years from now. If your son returns to the UK in future years to settle it would mean you and his mother could come to the UK as well without restriction. Fast forward to your dotage and this could prove vital.
Sorry to jump in here - how long would the citizenship application take to process? Also, with only ILR, how long can one be out of the country without losing status? Thank you BIP!
Old May 8th 2018, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Perth
Sorry to jump in here - how long would the citizenship application take to process? Also, with only ILR, how long can one be out of the country without losing status? Thank you BIP!
Conditions of Indefinite LeavePlease note that once you have been granted ILR, it is important to try to not spend 2 years or over outside of the UK, as this can lead to it being revoked. In order to avoid this, most migrants will be able to apply for British Citizenship after 1 year as a permanent resident after qualifying.
Old May 8th 2018, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michali
So sad to hear this but it is your decision. My husband regrets daily that he did not take out a British passport years ago when he had the opportunity. I, too, wish you and your family well and happy.
Thank you. We can always go through the process again if we are desperate to live in the UK again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.