Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Learning an English accent...

Wikiposts

Learning an English accent...

Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:30 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning an English accent...

Originally Posted by lisag8070
IMO there are only a few American Actresses that can do the English accent and sound good,
Gweneth Paltrow
Angelina Jolie
Natalie Portman
I'd add Rene Zellthingy to that list.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:36 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Yeah, agree, she did sound a bit too posh as Bridget though...

Last edited by JEM3110; Mar 27th 2008 at 3:39 am.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:39 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

We're all messed from the word go - childhood..... when we all sing 'the alphabet song' or 'the ABCs'... you know, to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." the alphabet to that tune, no brainer. I wonder how many children grow up thinking "elemenohpee" is one letter (LMNOP). As though 'people' is spelt lmnopeople or elemenohpee-ee-oo-pee-ell-ee.

Yet, the last lines are "T, U, V/ W, X and Y and Z/ Now I've said my ABCs/ Next time won't you sing with me?"

But, we pronounce the letter Z as "zed," So why do we sing this silly song? "Zed" doesn't rhyme with "V." nor do we say "ved" Should we re-write the whole thing to start as "A-bee-said-dead-ee-eff... and won't you sing with Fred?" just to make the whole thing work? Maybe we can all blame any crap spelling on the 'alphabet song'.... I will from now on.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:52 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

. Now I've said my ABCs/ Next time won't you sing with me?"
I've never heard that bit
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:19 am
Just Joined

lucylove is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO there are only a few American Actresses that can do the English accent and sound good,

Gweneth Paltrow
Angelina Jolie
Natalie Portman

I have yet to hear one Actor that has done a good English accent...the worse one I've ever heard was Richard Gere in The Jackel...it was flucking terrible..
Natalie's accent was awful in The Other Boleyn Girl. Scarlett Johansson's was slightly better.

A bit OT, but I'm always impressed by David Tennant's English accent in Doctor Who (he's Scottish). James McEvoy's is good too.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:03 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
oh..good point, forgot about her...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:04 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucylove
Natalie's accent was awful in The Other Boleyn Girl. Scarlett Johansson's was slightly better.

A bit OT, but I'm always impressed by David Tennant's English accent in Doctor Who (he's Scottish). James McEvoy's is good too.
I've not seen that film yet...but in V for Vendetta it was pretty damn good..
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
This only applies depending on the accent. Some Brits really do NOT pronounce all the letters...the most obvious of these being dropping the H at the beginning or words.
But you have to call it "an haitch" before you drop it around my house.

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
a pretentious, completely over the top actress friend who insists on putting on an English accent upon occasion. If her goal is to remove any lingering doubts in my mind that she is, in fact, an idiot, she has succeeded. She sounds like Mary Poppins on acid.
Ooh, we have one of those too, Heather. She's a stitch.

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Can I ask anybody to see if they spot any problems with it?
One quibble:
A good learning tool is to mimic the accents you see on TV and in the movies.

Of course we don't see accents on TV/movies. Substitute 'hear'.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
We're all messed from the word go - childhood..... when we all sing 'the alphabet song' or 'the ABCs'... you know, to the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." the alphabet to that tune, no brainer. I wonder how many children grow up thinking "elemenohpee" is one letter (LMNOP). As though 'people' is spelt lmnopeople or elemenohpee-ee-oo-pee-ell-ee.
My son's friend told him that part of the song was "animal pee".
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is fantastic there is a place here called "Chatham". Now in the UK, Chatham (in Kent) is pronounced "Chat-Am." (Or Cha'-Um, if you want to be correct about it). Here, they pronounce it Chath-Am which is well funny for me because I'll pronounce it Chav-Am, as in home of the chavs, just like it was in good old Blighty, lol!!!!

Some things there just aren't any substitutes for...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Gweneth Paltrow
Angelina Jolie
Natalie Portman

I have yet to hear one Actor that has done a good English accent...the worse one I've ever heard was Richard Gere in The Jackel...it was flucking terrible..
Johnny Depp... :::knees trembling::: yum....
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
"Make sure you firmly pronounce every letter – especially the ‘t’ –"

Won't pronouncing 'every letter' make one stu t t er?
Shouldn't it be DON'T pronounce the "t"?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:26 am
Last orders please...

Originally Posted by Emma M
Johnny Depp... :::knees trembling::: yum....
oh yes...lovely johnny Depp...how could I forget him.....
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:10 am
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

English accent..... No such thing! U eever tawk proper or ya don't. I'm constantly correcting my children (note the use of CHILDREN not KIDS). They seem to trying desperate to learn to pronounce everything in a chav manner! I also know people in the U.K who cannot speak correctly and they live here
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Phychlone
English accent..... No such thing! U eever tawk proper or ya don't. I'm constantly correcting my children (note the use of CHILDREN not KIDS). They seem to trying desperate to learn to pronounce everything in a chav manner! I also know people in the U.K who cannot speak correctly and they live here
Oy mate! I'm one of them oo tawk propa!