Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Lay of the land re: healthcare.

Lay of the land re: healthcare.

Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lay of the land re: healthcare.

Originally Posted by nun
If we believe the statistics crime is falling in England and Wales. IMHO the "hoodie" and anti-social order phenomenons are a result of the media highlighting a very small number of incidents and then New Labour jumping on the bandwagon to win votes in middle England by showing how tough on crime they can be.
The media have a lot to answer for - how on Earth can a jumped-up, uneducated pastor with a 50-strong congregation become world headline news? :curse:
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Can you pay to get an MRI done privately/pay yourself - to at least get some answers - rather than wait at least another five months or more?

(I know here in Canada you can't opt to pay - the system doesn't facilitate that "going private" option - but then I don't think you'd wait more than a week or two for a referral like that anyway - maybe I'm wrong).

Doesn't answer your questions, sorry - but just a thought.

In the meantime, I think wait lists in the UK for referrals are hit and miss - sometimes, usually the more serious stuff, you will be referred pretty quickly. For, other things, it's not unusual to hear of wait lists of 6 months up to 2 years.
The wait times for most MRI scans are less than 6 weeks. The data is in the Dept of Health website.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:04 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara B.
I asked a mate living in a certain area in the UK if she herself sees anything of this crime and bad news. She paused for a moment and then said "Nah. I don't see any of it."

Much relieved I mentally started to pack my bags when she chipped in:

"And only last week there were two stabbings near us, but I didn't see any of that - it happened at night, and we don't go out after dark."

Errr......I don't quite know how to take that, except I already know I wouldn't want to live in that area anyway -out of FEAR and prejudice against my own kind haha.

Is it all about money and location though? Does it have to be about 'nice areas'?
I can't speak for others, but for me it is probably mainly about these two things. I taught UK secondary in fairly difficult schools for 21 years before making the career/life changing decision to teach overseas. I am familiar with the chavs (both parents and kids) and would never want to have to live in their neighbourhoods/around them.

This is not because I feel too good for them, but that I would feel genuinely threatened on a day to day basis - something which would affect my QoL considerably.

I hope to return to UK within the next 3 years. I am lucky enough to hopefully be able to select a 'nice' (ie safe) area to live in when I return to UK.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
The media have a lot to answer for - how on Earth can a jumped-up, uneducated pastor with a 50-strong congregation become world headline news? :curse:
You know I was just thinking that about the loser Pastor from Florida. Trying to stir up trouble to just get his 5 mins of fame.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My friends and I were discussing that point exactly the other yesterday. Without the media he would of stayed in backwater Florida with his narrow minded flock of so called "Christians". Now he is the talk of the world, is the main concern of the leaders of main nations and has elivated his self importance to where he is now involved in discussing matters that are really none of his business.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:51 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara B.

My view of the Uk being a !!!! hole is changing.
Sometimes I'm amazed at how people talk about crime in the UK. I don't live in a particularly posh are but crime has been falling for years. (I see the stats where I work). The picture is the same nationally although I'm sure you will find pockets that buck the trend. I think we fall victim to some of the media's focus on individual incidents and a lot of collective hang ringing.

Someone on this site looked up the murder rates for the UK and Canada and discovered they were higher in Canada. And NZ has a high crime rate and gang problems but people don't bother to check before they go. If crime was an issue then I would have thought you'd check first.

Anyway I wouldn't worry about changing your mind about the UK. You have now had an opportunity to compare what it is really like elsewhere, which you didn't have before. Always a good idea to update your beliefs in the light of new information.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The wait times for most MRI scans are less than 6 weeks. The data is in the Dept of Health website.
Just one example, but mine took about 3 months, and then the doctor lost the results.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:46 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

On crime after midnight, do you often wander around after midnight, Barbara?

Not a sarky question. Victoria BC, where we used to live, is a lovely and mostly safe city, but it had daylight problems with street-livers with drug and alcohol problems -- and real no-go areas downtown after midnight. That was irrelevant to us because we weren't often out after midnight, and if so we weren't strolling around in those downtown areas. But they weren't slum areas or anything. Right in the heart of tourist-town.

I'd look up crime statistics for an area you'd be interested in and compare it to where you live now, and then try to find out what the crime is. In Victoria, nearly all violence and murder was drug-related and in the drug community. A regular member of the public would be extremely unlikely to have anything to do with it.

Bev
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:19 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I would say that could be it..its so easy to concentrate and only see the negative stuff, if you go looking for it
One of the most pertinent comments I've read for a long time.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:24 am

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I think we fall victim to some of the media's focus on individual incidents and a lot of collective hang ringing.

... NZ has a high crime rate and gang problems but people don't bother to check before they go. If crime was an issue then I would have thought you'd check first.
Good points. I think you're right about people falling victim to the focus on individual incidents too. One only has to look at the places in the UK where there is very little crime to see that it's generally a decent place to live.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Without the media he would of stayed in backwater Florida with his narrow minded flock of so called "Christians". Now he is the talk of the world, is the main concern of the leaders of main nations and has elivated his self importance to where he is now involved in discussing matters that are really none of his business.
Couldn't agree more. The problem being that narrow-minded biggotted attitude of his is all too common here, and while a lot of people in the UK wouldn't expect Florida to be like this, it actually IS.

I'd like to think that his notoriety and high profile will die a quick death once the hype of the event that didn't happen has gone.
True, he's just a jumped up nobody, but unfortunately there are plenty of dangerously unstable fringe element biggots hiding behind a "christian" veil over here, and plenty more that will be singing his praises from all over the country and saying what a good man he is. More importantly to him, they'll be sending his church "donations", which will go into his pocket.
Churches are about money over here, it's a business, and any publicity can be turned into good publicity and a cash opportunity when you have an audience that are so gullible.