Last day at work!

Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last day at work!

Today is my last day at work here in the US. I've had this job for four years. I still don't feel too emotional (as I said in a different thread the other day, I'm not as sad about leaving this as I was when I left my UK job) but it is starting to feel a bit strange now. They ordered lunch and gave me a leaving present, and one of my bosses told me she's trying not to cry! Lots of people have been sending goodbye emails. OK, I concede... I'm a little bit sad!

I guess the countdown really begins now :scared:. I have been waiting for this for so long. My parents had bunk beds delivered today for the boys to sleep in once we get back. It's so exciting but so scary at the same time!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 7:48 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Last day at work!

Enjoy your last day! Time to start counting down the days til the big move!!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your last day!

I've just had mine and it kinda felt surreal. I could get used to not working though

Hope all goes well for you.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
Today is my last day at work here in the US. I've had this job for four years. I still don't feel too emotional (as I said in a different thread the other day, I'm not as sad about leaving this as I was when I left my UK job) but it is starting to feel a bit strange now. They ordered lunch and gave me a leaving present, and one of my bosses told me she's trying not to cry! Lots of people have been sending goodbye emails. OK, I concede... I'm a little bit sad!

I guess the countdown really begins now :scared:. I have been waiting for this for so long. My parents had bunk beds delivered today for the boys to sleep in once we get back. It's so exciting but so scary at the same time!
Great news, sorry not been about for a while, so when are you off then? Best of luck to you and your's, green with envy
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:01 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

When are you heading back to the UK?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

I'll be resigning in 6 weeks & then working my 4 weeks notice, so I'm sure I'll be feeling just as happy/excited/sad/nervous in about 10 weeks from now!!

No matter what your reasons for returning to the UK, I'm sure everyone misses something or someone from their ex-pat life. I certainly will!

Good luck with everything.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Just realised that you left England the same time as me - Aug 2001, so we've both given it a good shot I'd say! 5 years is a fair chunk of time isn't it?

You're heading to the outer London area aren't you? When are you leaving the U.S?

I'll be leaving on Oct 8th with 12 y/o son so just 11 weeks left in Oz for me, but hubby will have to stay for an extra 12 weeks to help minimise the effects of the transition (jobs, finances, etc), so he will arrive back in the UK on 24th December.....best Christmas present ever!!!

Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Great news, sorry not been about for a while, so when are you off then? Best of luck to you and your's, green with envy
Hiya! Yeah, you have been quiet lately. Good to hear from you again. We plan to leave on September 12th but haven't booked tickets yet. The house inspection was yesterday so we're just waiting to make sure they didn't find some huge problem that would cause the buyer to back out. I worry too much

Any update on your plans or still just waiting it out?
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
No matter what your reasons for returning to the UK, I'm sure everyone misses something or someone from their ex-pat life. I certainly will!
Absolutely. I have to confess I did cry a little bit last night (I really didn't think I would) but I really won't miss that job that much. Work is just such a huge part of your life that leaving a job of four years is a major change. There is loads I will miss about here though. I have my complaints about the country but I have plenty about the UK too! It just comes down to people in the end.

Just realised that you left England the same time as me - Aug 2001, so we've both given it a good shot I'd say! 5 years is a fair chunk of time isn't it?
That's funny. Yes, it is a big chunk of time. It's scary how quickly it has gone and just makes me realize how quickly ten years could go and before I know it I could have lived here the rest of my life and missed out on everything in my family's lives back in the UK. Of course, once we move it's my wife who has to miss out, but with her family scattered around the US she'd be missing a lot even if we stayed here.

You're heading to the outer London area aren't you?
Yes, will be staying in Surrey to start with, but won't be able to afford to stay there! Will wait and see where I get a job, how much I'm earning, etc. It's quite exciting really to have a new start. It kind of reminds me of when I first came here. I hope I'm not going to need this "excitement" every five years

I'll be leaving on Oct 8th with 12 y/o son so just 11 weeks left in Oz for me, but hubby will have to stay for an extra 12 weeks to help minimise the effects of the transition (jobs, finances, etc), so he will arrive back in the UK on 24th December.....best Christmas present ever!!!
Good luck to you all. It will be so hard being apart but it helps that your son is 12. Our boys are 2.5 and almost 1 so it would have been awful if I'd had to leave ahead of time as they change so quickly in such a short time at that age. Also hard for one person to deal with on their own! Fortunately we were able to get my wife's visa without me having a job lined up, and with my parents offering accommodation, so we can all leave together as a family.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya! Yeah, you have been quiet lately. Good to hear from you again. We plan to leave on September 12th but haven't booked tickets yet. The house inspection was yesterday so we're just waiting to make sure they didn't find some huge problem that would cause the buyer to back out. I worry too much

Any update on your plans or still just waiting it out?
Well I did go home for a bit, just to check out the area of outer Manchester, but funny I felt just as foreign in that part of the country as I do here So plan's are to head for the Cambridge area, finger's crossed this time next year. Be sure to give us all updates of your new life back home
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:14 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good news, and good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Happy Birthday by the way Always 21
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britvic
Happy Birthday by the way Always 21
Oh yeah, it is isn't it? It's 6.55 and my brain hasn't kicked in yet! Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

Fortunately we were able to get my wife's visa without me having a job lined up, and with my parents offering accommodation, so we can all leave together as a family.

Can you give me any info on how you managed to get your wife's visa without her having a job? We'll be applying for my hubby's soon, also without a job. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by franki
Can you give me any info on how you managed to get your wife's visa without her having a job? We'll be applying for my hubby's soon, also without a job. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks and good luck.
Good luck with your husband's visa. It is so much easier dealing with the UK than USCIS! Here is what we submitted with my wife's application:
  • Letter from parents offering accommodation
  • Copy of their house deed
  • Letter from my parents offering financial support
  • My dad's annual tax statements (mum is self employed so we didn't include any evidence of her earnings)
  • Copy of their bank statements showing savings
  • Report from our real estate agent showing expected equity from house sale (although I was told on the UK Resident forum that they won't take equity into account until it is liquidated)
  • My resume / CV
  • Letter from bank showing the balance in our savings account (very minimal amount)

It was a bit embarrasing having to get so much financial info from my parents but you have to do what you have to do. I don't know if you're familiar with the UK Resident forum (ukresident.com) but some professionals post on there and can help you if you have questions about figures and amounts, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.