Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Kittyfok's questions re: schooling in Reading & eligibility for a school place

Kittyfok's questions re: schooling in Reading & eligibility for a school place

Old May 17th 2019, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kittyfok's questions re: schooling in Reading & eligibility for a school pla

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
In an earlier post you said you had only visited the UK once before deciding to migrate there. You started off looking at Reading (because someone recommended it to you) and now you are looking at a school in Liphook, Hampshire.

Getting a job in the UK to support your family has not been mentioned at all, and most people would firstly be looking at where they would be able to work - unless you do not need to work in the UK ?

Commuting from Liphook to Reading (we all presumed you chose Reading due to a job offer) would entail a journey of an hour or more each way.

If no work offer in the UK. how do you intend to qualify for spouse and children visas?
The school the OP is talking about is Bohunt Wokingham, not Bohunt Liphook (they have several schools in the south east) it’s only about 3 miles from Reading.

OP, if you want that school you will absolutely have to move before Oct. I personally wouldn’t choose either of the estates you’ve mentioned, but (a) I can’t stand housing estates and they are particularly overcrowded ones IMO; and (b) the thought of paying £800k for a house where all my neighbours can look in my windows makes me shudder! But realistically you will have to be in Arborfield to be pretty much guaranteed a place at the school. That strikes me as an odd choice given your preferences for living near restaurants and shops tbh - there is one tiny village shop in Arborfield but no restaurants.

I’d strongly suggest you come and look at Arborfield and the school before moving. It’s not for everyone. Bring your child too and tour as many schools in the area as possible, open days will be in Sept.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 17th 2019 at 10:00 pm.