Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Kids going into Year 9 when return to UK

Kids going into Year 9 when return to UK

Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids going into Year 9 when return to UK

DS has just started Middle school in the US (1st year at high school in UK).

We will be returning to the UK Aug 2014 which would mean he would be starting Year 9 in the UK, which is one year before they start their 2 year GCSE courses.

Has anyone done this? My concern is that here in the US they don't do history, Geogrophy, French or German and only do Science not broken into the Biology, Chemistry and Phyisics

I feel I've completely ruined my sons schooling.

There is a chance we could return Christmas 2013 but that would mean leaving my husband here in the US for another 9 months with only one visit in this time.

This isn't something I really want to do, but if it would help my DSs education I would do it.

Anyone been through this?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids going into Year 9 when return to UK

I just read last week that G.C.S.E's are going to scrapped and replaced with the O'level style exams. When this will take effect I'm not sure...

I have the same concerns as you, my son will be in middle school when we return and so far I'm not impressed with the standard of schooling they have here. But if you look on the BBC web-site for education they have a lot of good curriculum resources for each year that might be good for catch-up.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Yep done this last year !!!!!!

We spent 10yrs in Canada and came back last August,when our son was going into year 9. To be honest......it was a mistake . We did it too late.He has not fitted in nor enjoyed the schooling over here. We are beside ourselves with worry for the year ahead.We are trying frantically to change schools before next week,but they are all full up. We are now thinking of going private,so he can catch up and get the attention i think he needs over here.Sorry for putting a dampner on it,but i want to be honest. I know it has worked for some children though,depending on how long they have spent out of the country though
Good luck
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:44 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis

We will be returning to the UK Aug 2014 which would mean he would be starting Year 9 in the UK, which is one year before they start their 2 year GCSE courses.

Has anyone done this? My concern is that here in the US they don't do history, Geogrophy, French or German and only do Science not broken into the Biology, Chemistry and Phyisics

There is a chance we could return Christmas 2013 but that would mean leaving my husband here in the US for another 9 months with only one visit in this time.

This isn't something I really want to do, but if it would help my DSs education I would do it.

My advice would be sooner rather than later. As you say year 9 is when GCSE options are chosen. Returning part way through year 8 would enable your son to re-adjust to UK schooling a little. Choices for GCSEs are normally made on which subjects they have enjoyed, are good at or what they need to enable them to move onto further and higher education in their chosen field. I returned from Canada (soon realised it wasn't for us) with my daughter (left hubby and 16 year old son in Canada) so she could join part way through year 8, catch up on what she had missed, so she would be feel more confident in choosing her options, rather than return this summer for her to start at the beginning of year 9. Our son is starting 6th form college next week (luckily he completed his GCSEs before we moved out to Canada) so has had a year out so to speak, although he did go to high school in Canada.
BBC revisewise is good and there are many books you can purchase which cover the curriculum (Key stage 3).
Moving teenagers is not easy.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly there is also talk of raising the school leaving age to 18 in the next year or so. If I was more computer savvy I would post a link. But that might help people feel less in a time crunch.

My son would move back in a heart beat now, he's 9...but a few years down the road I'm not so sure. Sadly it's not an option to go back sooner.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it would better to move sooner rather than later but its not the end of the world if you can't as schools are use to kids moving from everywhere and will take that into account. If you know the school, your son is going to (which from your previous posts, is a yes), they could arrange to send the course work to you. Look on the USA forum to search for information about continuing GSCE's from expats who have the reverse situation and how they managed.

From my own perspective, been there and done that. We arrived in the USA when my eldest daughter was 15, so right in the middle of her standard grades in Scotland. I admit it was a tough ride as we had no idea how different the US system was from Scotland (no look see visit or anything else for that matter). In some subjects she was way ahead and others she struggled (like Math as its done as individual subject, rather than as whole in Scotland). However, Elisabeth managed to graduate before the official end of high school and got her biology degree at the same time as all her friends in Scotland.

Much depends on the child concerned and how well they adapt. If you are having difficulties with that issue yourself, this will no doubt have some reflection on your child ability to cope. So basically, calm down and stop worrying as whatever they capable of, they will succeed.

I have a son who is the middle child who has been an endless source of concern for us, never did well at school and completely flunked out of university. At 16, he was finally diagnosed as ADHD with an eyesight problem which hinders his reading ability. He was also judged to be of college level education, although given his school grades, you would never know that. He could have got help with all these issues but refused. We never gave up on him, (although very close at times) but knew ultimately, he was in charge of his life, we could only enable him to achieve the goals we knew he was capable of . He is now working as systems programmer in Denver and is finally achieving his potential.

So basically, what I am saying is, yes, in a perfect world everything would run smoothly and our kids would be in the school system we prefer from nursery to the end of university but this isn't a perfect world. Stop fretting about a very tiny speck of time. As long as you and husband support your children in a loving supportive way, they will succeed in everything they are meant to succeed with and more than you can imagine.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis

Hi, due to family issues we have only just managed the move back to the UK with our son. My husn=band is there sorting things out and he starts year 9 next week.
I am hugely worried and we really wanted to be back much sooner but couldn't.
I do still feel that he was not doing well in the school system in NZ and so we have to try. We are prepared to get a tutor and give him all the help we can.
We will see what happens over the coming weeks.

Good Luck
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi, due to family issues we have only just managed the move back to the UK with our son. My husn=band is there sorting things out and he starts year 9 next week.
I am hugely worried and we really wanted to be back much sooner but couldn't.
I do still feel that he was not doing well in the school system in NZ and so we have to try. We are prepared to get a tutor and give him all the help we can.
We will see what happens over the coming weeks.

Good Luck
Hi
I returned from NZ 3 months ago and have had no difficulty putting my kids back to the start of the relevant school year to give them settling in time as going forward to 'correct' UK school year, would have been too much. They got a long summer holiday lol. Coming from NZ they should be willing to let you re-start the year in UK that you had started in NZ, because of the academic years being so out of kilter in the 2 countries. (NZ Feb - Dec) (UK Aug/September-June/July).

To clarify by end May in NZ they had done 4 months of Y6 and Y8. Both have gone back into Y6 and Y8 in UK this September. I did not have to fight for this at all, just request it.

The peer group is not as sacrosanct as some people believe .
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Hi
I returned from NZ 3 months ago and have had no difficulty putting my kids back to the start of the relevant school year to give them settling in time as going forward to 'correct' UK school year, would have been too much. They got a long summer holiday lol. Coming from NZ they should be willing to let you re-start the year in UK that you had started in NZ, because of the academic years being so out of kilter in the 2 countries. (NZ Feb - Dec) (UK Aug/September-June/July).

To clarify by end May in NZ they had done 4 months of Y6 and Y8. Both have gone back into Y6 and Y8 in UK this September. I did not have to fight for this at all, just request it.

The peer group is not as sacrosanct as some people believe .

Thanks for that. I did mention that to the school via email and was told it was only in special cases.
Now my husband is there it might definately be worth me getting him up to the school on Monday and seeing what he can do.
Carole
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone taking the time to reply.

I think taking into account other peoples experiences, I am going to return Xmas 2013, which will mean my DS has missed Year 7 and 4 months of year 8.

Also I've found a tutor for French who will follow the UK curriculum. There is also a possibility of a tutor for History and Geography. I hate to put this much pressure on my DS, but I don't want his education messed up to much.

If I had know this before we came I wouldn't have come at all. We would have been away 2.5 years when we return. I am lucky that he is natural bright so hoping he will be able to catch up quickly.

I'm sick of people telling me that the experience outways the disadvantage to his education.

I hope it works out better for everyone.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

you can only try your hardest for your childrens education .Like us all, we want the best education possible for our kids.
We thought our boy had settled no problem and it wasnt until about 6 months into it,we realised he had not settled at all. He could not connect with the kids here,as they were all into different things and talking about stuff he couldnt identify with. He said he coulndt learn as the kids were disruptive in class and used terrible language to the teacher,and this was supposed to be the top school in the area !!!!He just went more and more into his little shell. I am hoping that next week we will know if he has got into this private school,atleast i know he will get the help he has missed out on over in Canada. I really dont rate their education at all .
This is just our experiance,not everyone will find it this hard.I am sure some kids just fall back into the UK way of life no problem.
Good luck everyone