Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

kids coming back to uk, student fees

kids coming back to uk, student fees

Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids coming back to uk, student fees

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
Oh thankyou for your replys. I am in a real tiss. Mil doesn, t want us to stay with her at all, ( she lives near one of the schools. ) grace likes the first school , ed may struggle , he has HfA, went to see a long term friend last night, she told it how she saw it, shouldn, t have left uk in first place, howcould I have left my mother, how can I retufn now and potentially split the family up ? Says the whole family should stay together where ever that is, and how could I think of coming over a few months at a time to look after my mother and leave my family in canada, bottom line, she thinks I have made all the wrong decisions, and the future decisions aren, t clever either. I was so upset, sat up and cried most on night.

Take on board about uni, I had suggested to daughter she stay in canada till british uni, then she will be setting up on her own anyway, ie in residence etc. I think my son would struggle in a levels in uk, if we started in 2 years. I wish dh hubby had come too.
With friends like that...well you know the rest. Most people who have nothing better to do than belittle other people's lives are desperately trying to escape their own miserable failures. Get on with your life as you see fit. You deserve it. Everything will sort itself out.

Last edited by Perth; Apr 24th 2013 at 9:13 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
Sorry it all sounds so difficult. It sounds like you can afford to pay private school fees? If not why not find a good state school which is free.
Your daughter could always get a job for a year when school finishes to take her to the 3 year mark. How about your son going back a year if you think he will struggle?
It sounds like your friend is not such a friend after all. We all do things with the best of intentions. We don't always get them right or maybe how we expected.
We moved to New Zealand with 3 children 6 years ago. We thought it would be a good move. It wasn't quite as we hoped so we decided to come back. Trouble was our daughter had just met a boy and asked us to wait to see how it went. So our oldest son finished year 13 and flew home to my sisters where he still lives and attends sixth form college.
3 years on my husband and youngest son left NZ last July ready for the start of the school year here in September. I stayed with our daughter while she finished school and sorted everything there.
I returned in December and we have left our lovely daughter in NZ attending Uni. She is still with the bf and we can only hope one day they choose to join us.
So we messed up big time as well, our family aren't together, but we are where we each want to be. We love being back and exploring Yorkshire.
Good luck with what you decide
We have the same DD problem, remember? Only we haven't left yet. But she does keep making rumblings that she doesn't want to live here anymore. Regardless, we are moving because it is best for her father, who is older than me, to be somewhere where I can trust the healthcare system. She knows this, and she also knows how I long to go home. Having happy and secure parents is good for her well being, and I'd say that is probably true of your DD too. Anyway, she has the bf to keep her occupied so she won't miss you too much
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sewing Susan
We have been in calgary. For 5 years, Husband done well in career, I have mostly enjoyed the time, but we got to thinking about our retirement, in say 9 years time. Dh has always said he didn, t connect with anybody here, he had a few friends in uk, he hates the winter and broke his leg badly skiing 2 yrs ago -we will not be doing any winter sports etc.He has said quite often, but I had not listened, the country is too big, driving too much. The kids have been ok, then my daughter age 16, went to uk on her own a few weeks ago. We told her when she came back that we were wanting to go back to uk when retired. Her reaction amazed us, she felt she never wants to be in another country from us, always wants us in her life, we should go back now so she and her younger brother can be resettled, finish school uni, and she listed tons of wonderful things about the uk.

So we are in uk doing a school investigation, private schools in yorkshire, trying 3 different school taster days in. A week, guess what they both loved the first school (strong 1st runner).Well,grace will be in lower 6th in sept 2013, looks like we will have to pay int student fees, if she does social arts course, how much extra would that be? I don, t know how to get around this, she has 2 years of further ed to go.

I am worried about dh trying to get job, in banking, he will use his contacts, but will not be earning the salary he is in canada. But we may do well through the curr exchange, I feel this move is a little early for me and dh, but daughter has. Got good points, ix it best to go back now, as a complete family, but unsure of house sale and job, I can see timing to start a levels in sept, and gcses for son , would be easier than try to move in 2 years, son, starting a levels and daughter starting uni

I miss my mum too, she is not in brilliant health, puts a brave face on it, but I would love to look after her in the short term, she is 81, if I wait another 2 yrs , will that be time wasted .

Sue
Hi Sue,
we also live in the Calgary / Dewinton area and have pretty much the same situation. My son is finishing grade 11 and daughter is finishing grade 9. Last summer my father in law had an awful accident and was in hospital for a long time. My wife went back home and I was left holding the fort so to speak. My wife did not want to come back, my son wanted to stay in Canada to finish high school and my daughter wasn't bothered either way.
We looked into every possible solution for the situation and in the end everyone decided on remaining in Canada. My son has just put his UCAS application in to attend university back in England ($38k a year) and my daughter is looking to France ($1100). With that, my wife will not be apart from her children so we will make our family home back there then. With my company, my work is in the US so I travel lots anyway. It doesn't matter whether I start in Calgary or the UK
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to let you know that there are loads of us in the same situation for a host of different reasons. Ours was initially family illness but now has grown into a panoply of reasons. (We actually can't wait to leave). As with you, family and friends back home are as much use as a chocolate fireguard (God love them). Some say stay you are mad to come home, some are crying and begging us to come home and some are saying both in the same sentence.
At the end of it all, keeping your family together, where you all respect each others decisions and are happy is the end goal. I hope you can find yours.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tribec
Hi Sue,
we also live in the Calgary / Dewinton area and have pretty much the same situation. My son is finishing grade 11 and daughter is finishing grade 9. Last summer my father in law had an awful accident and was in hospital for a long time. My wife went back home and I was left holding the fort so to speak. My wife did not want to come back, my son wanted to stay in Canada to finish high school and my daughter wasn't bothered either way.
We looked into every possible solution for the situation and in the end everyone decided on remaining in Canada. My son has just put his UCAS application in to attend university back in England ($38k a year) and my daughter is looking to France ($1100). With that, my wife will not be apart from her children so we will make our family home back there then. With my company, my work is in the US so I travel lots anyway. It doesn't matter whether I start in Calgary or the UK
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to let you know that there are loads of us in the same situation for a host of different reasons. Ours was initially family illness but now has grown into a panoply of reasons. (We actually can't wait to leave). As with you, family and friends back home are as much use as a chocolate fireguard (God love them). Some say stay you are mad to come home, some are crying and begging us to come home and some are saying both in the same sentence.
At the end of it all, keeping your family together, where you all respect each others decisions and are happy is the end goal. I hope you can find yours.
What a lovely post tribec
Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And note that rules on HE funding are different between Scotland and RestUK !
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What a lovely post tribec
Thanks spouse
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Sewing Susan,

Take a deep breath and then just slowly work out the plan that works for you and your family.

Right now your so stressed it leaves you defenseless to "friends" opinions on your life. Once you have figured out what you want to do then other people's opinions won't be upsetting because you will feel secure in what you want to do and why.

I completely agree with whoever it was on this thread that said that people who have never been expats don't understand.

Things change all the time and just because you now want to move back it doesn't mean you were wrong to leave in the first place.

Maybe take a few days break from even thinking about it, as others have said you don't have to decide everything at once. There's something to be said for not sharing it all with friends until you feel fully confident in your plan. Right now you don't have it all figured out so when someone like your "friend" spouts off it leaves you shaken. I'm not saying ignore other people's opinions but consider the source and their motivation. Sometimes people's opinions are really more about themselves, their situation and their mistakes than yours.

You mentioned that your MIL does not want you to stay with her, was that in relation to a vacation or was that part of your returning plan? I always think its best to make plans that do not hinge on someone else doing what you want. If they offer help that's great but sometimes we can fall into the trap of only thinking how "such and such" would work great for us and forget that maybe that's not how the other party involved views it.

All of us on here understand how overwhelming it can all seem and sometimes it seems impossible. We understand how even when you want to go home and maybe have the means to you still find yourself second guessing yourself and going in circles!

Hang in there, its a lot to sort out but if you take it a step at a time you'll get there.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Gurgeh50 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm facing the same dilemma. My son does his GCSEs in 2014 and we need to decide by the end of this year if we are going to move back for his A Levels or leave him in International School for IB here. We have identified 3 good schools that he could attend close to where we have a house in the UK.

I'm expecting that he will have to have a gap year after his A level course to fulfil the 3 year residency qualification.

Because of my age and health (recovering from Leukaemia) it is unlikely that I would be able to find work back there, but we should be OK.

The thing I need to get a handle on is the tax liability for moving a large sum of money back to the UK!