Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just want to go home - Non EU spouse - Overwhelmed

Just want to go home - Non EU spouse - Overwhelmed

Old Sep 6th 2016, 7:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to go home - Non EU spouse - Overwhelmed

Originally Posted by bazzakorea
I wasn't considering a fake job offer. However, I just wanted to clarify what the actual requirements were. I have worked with recruiters in the past and they only care for their fee. My concern was that I received a letter of employment, but had delays on my end to return to the UK. If they then offered out my job again to receive their fee faster.. but, my paperwork was being processed. I was concerned that would leave me back at square 1.
Fair comment. I just wasn't sure where you were heading with that train of thought. Providing the job offer is genuine at the time of application then you shouldn't have a problem. If the job offer is withdrawn after the visa is issued then it doesn't void the visa.

I have Irish grandparents, but would not be willing to give up my british citizenship.
Have you been registered as an Irish citizen? If not then it would be too late for your son but if you did so now then any future children would also be entitled to register for Irish citizenship and therefore an additional EU passport. Something to consider with Brexit looming.

After more reading, I'm not sure that the SS way is best for my family long-term. Especially considering I have to first sell my business here prior to coming home. That could take time.

I spoke to recruiters yesterday that are confident they can get me a job offer for the required amount. So, I will work on getting myself on payroll in Korea, register my son as a British citizen and try that path once we have a buyer for our business, I think. Seems the most expensive route, but the simplest to manage without moving my family twice.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Don't both Ireland and UK permit dual citizenship?
They do however EEA freedom of movement rules for spouses don't apply to citizens of the country in question so the OP can't obtain an Irish passport and then conveniently ignore the fact that is also a British citizen.

Last one for today:

If I have payroll receipts to cover 6 - 12 months, as well as, a offer of employment for over the stipulated requirement. I apply, and am hopefully accepted.

After acceptance, how long would we have to then move to the UK? Again, I'm concerned about selling our business in time. So, wondering if theres a certain time in which you must move over after acceptance.
spouse of scouse has covered that one in full.

^^^

Also, will it affect my application if my employer in Korea was listed as my wife? As, presumably she also has to state where she has been working. If she is director and I have been employee... Will that potentially work against us?
Providing the company and salary you are being paid is genuine then no it shouldn't make a difference.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They do however EEA freedom of movement rules for spouses don't apply to citizens of the country in question so the OP can't obtain an Irish passport and then conveniently ignore the fact that is also a British citizen.
Ah yes, good point.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Ah yes, good point.
But you made a good point and Ireland accepts dual citizenship and still seems easier than the UK route
Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage or civil partnership
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But you made a good point and Ireland accepts dual citizenship and still seems easier than the UK route
Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage or civil partnership
The OP and his wife would need to live in Ireland for five years before she would be eligible for Irish citizenship. Not much use if he wants to return to England with his family.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The OP and his wife would need to live in Ireland for five years before she would be eligible for Irish citizenship. Not much use if he wants to return to England with his family.
The 5 years are only for permanent residency but the rules for marriage to Irish Citizen are different. You must of had one year of "continuous residence" on the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application; and finally, you must have been living on the island of Ireland for at least two of the four years before that year of continuous residence.Well, he said Europe and was also talking about Malta. It's just down the road from the UK and there wouldn't be the issues showing earnings, or at least it seems easier.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The 5 years are only for permanent residency but the rules for marriage to Irish Citizen are different. You must of had one year of "continuous residence" on the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application; and finally, you must have been living on the island of Ireland for at least two of the four years before that year of continuous residence.Well, he said Europe and was also talking about Malta. It's just down the road from the UK and there wouldn't be the issues showing earnings, or at least it seems easier.
You're right of course but that's still three years of residence versus maybe six to twelve months in Malta.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 12:11 am
Just Joined

bazzakorea is an unknown quantity at this point

We've decided to go the spouse visa route.

Will apply for my sons british passport asap and keep everyone posted along the way. Just hope we can sell our business and have an offer of employment within the same timeframe.

What is the turnaround time for a priority application? A month?

My concern at the moment is that I cannot give potential employers an exact start date at interview stage. I fear that may limit my employment chances.

Finally - If my son is a British passport holder. Do I need to pay for him and my wife on application as dependants, or only my wife?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 2:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I must say this is a really good helpful thread for bazzakorea.

Thanks all round and dollops of BE karma.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:13 am

We've decided to go the spouse visa route.

Will apply for my sons british passport asap and keep everyone posted along the way. Just hope we can sell our business and have an offer of employment within the same timeframe.

What is the turnaround time for a priority application? A month?

My concern at the moment is that I cannot give potential employers an exact start date at interview stage. I fear that may limit my employment chances.
https://www.gov.uk/visa-processing-times

Finally - If my son is a British passport holder. Do I need to pay for him and my wife on application as dependants, or only my wife?
If your son is a British citizen then he is not included in the financial requirements.