Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

JUST RETURNED FROM HOLIDAY TO UK

JUST RETURNED FROM HOLIDAY TO UK

Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default JUST RETURNED FROM HOLIDAY TO UK

Spent 3 weeks in the UK after 5years of no visits and living in the US for nearly 30years.

I was worried about whether I would enjoy being back and if It had changed as much as some would have you believe.

We spent the first half of our holiday down south and loved it. Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire. I must admit the New Forest was the most beautiful area to me but also the most expensive for homes. The people were friendly, I found it strange that a total stranger would say hello as they passed you and smile.

We moved up North to were my family live. Chester and then Lancashire. I lived in Chester before I moved to the US but would not move back to the area as its changed so much and has way to many memories.

Parts of Lancashire outside of Preston really surprised me as to how beautiful they were. My husband fell in love with the Lake District and I think that is were we are going to settle. The houses were quite reasonable, well the ones we want. Nothing big but comforable more on the outskirts of town with a little more land than you would find in town.

So did anything bother me I must admit all the rules and regulations are a bit much and the big brother watching over you takes a little getting use to and all those roundabouts. Marks and Spencers I could move into and live off the food quite happily. In fact I dont think there was a moment when I did not have some sort of food in my mouth.

Anything holding perhaps worry about our daughter and the fact that our house still has to sell.

It was so easy to fit back into a routine of getting on a bus and popping into town. The weather was not at its best but we did have some lovely days.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JUST RETURNED FROM HOLIDAY TO UK

So glad you had a great time! I know what you mean about the Lake District - we had a day up there when we were staying in N Yks and it was beautiful.

Fingers crossed for you that everything goes ahead smoothly now!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

The lake district is a lovely place, but I moved from there to Oz!

Good Luck to you
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

We visited the Lake District last year,just loved it stayed in a village called Bowness,visited Grasmere,Windermere just beautiful.

I guess it would be quite cold there in Winter,but we had beautiful weather while there, lovely sunny days took a boat trip on the Lake,oh I had better stop making myself homesick.....
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Oh it does get cold, I remember sliding on lake wintermere when i was a kid, as the whole lake was frozen!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by werty1
Oh it does get cold, I remember sliding on lake wintermere when i was a kid, as the whole lake was frozen!
That's what you call cold
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
We visited the Lake District last year,just loved it stayed in a village called Bowness,visited Grasmere,Windermere just beautiful.

I guess it would be quite cold there in Winter,but we had beautiful weather while there, lovely sunny days took a boat trip on the Lake,oh I had better stop making myself homesick.....
I went on the boat trip too!!!! Wasnt it gorgeous? We had a lovely day weatherwise as well and I must admit I was surprised (a bit) by the wilderness look - from the Lake you could barely see civilization at all, mind you, I would kill to live in one of the few houses I did see on the edge of the lake. Cold I can take, you can always rug up against it but there is no escape from the heat except aircon.

Now joining you in the homesick corner
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I went on the boat trip too!!!! Wasnt it gorgeous? We had a lovely day weatherwise as well and I must admit I was surprised (a bit) by the wilderness look - from the Lake you could barely see civilization at all, mind you, I would kill to live in one of the few houses I did see on the edge of the lake. Cold I can take, you can always rug up against it but there is no escape from the heat except aircon.

Those houses are my lotto win houses!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Thats my answer to all the family that go on about living in Cali and won't you miss the heat if you move. Hell no I'd rather be cold and warm up than be hot, even if your naked you can't get any cooler unless you have A/C

Sounds like a lovely holiday. I'd like to visit the lake district. Maybe one day
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a few weekends in Pooley Bridge in the Lake District. Gorgeous!! And, some great pubs too!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
-[SNIP]-

So did anything bother me I must admit all the rules and regulations are a bit much and the big brother watching over you takes a little getting use to and all those roundabouts.
-[SNIP]-
Yep, that's the thing that gets me too is all the speed cameras, cctv everywhere, etc.

Traffic is the one thing that still is going to bother me when I go back. Where I am now traffic is if there are cars in front of you at the traffic lights. My morning commute is 10 minutes. My normal commutes in the UK were about an hour.

Would I go back? Yep probably at some point in the future. If someone could offer me a safe stable and secure job, even on less pay than I'm on now, it would be difficult to say no.

Good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

I moved to Oz from the Lake District and then moved back again, sorry Oz not a patch on the Lakes, I missed the area and the people sooooo much.

Trottytrue, how old is your daughter? I am sure you will enjoy living in Lakes