Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Job market in Leeds and Manchester

Job market in Leeds and Manchester

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Job market in Leeds and Manchester

I'm looking for administrator and office support work. What's the job market like?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Job market in Leeds and Manchester

Originally Posted by Canuck74
I'm looking for administrator and office support work. What's the job market like?
I wouldn't have thought you would have a problem if you have experience. First place I googled was University of Leeds, they currently have 13 Admin vacancies.

http://jobs.leeds.ac.uk/fe/tpl_universityofleeds01.asp

A basic search on the Job Centre webpages brought up 25 Administrative Assistant jobs in and around Leeds city centre.

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...fff7af23&pid=1

Leeds City Council currently have 3 vacancies listed.

http://jobs.leeds.gov.uk/

There are lots of agencies to register with too that I dare say could find you temporary work in the city fairly soon as a stop gap.

Also, check out the http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/jobs/ site, there are jobs advertised here most of the time.

I didn't look into Manchester but would guess that as it's bigger than Leeds there would be at the least similar opportunities. Try the Universities/NHS/Councils/Agencies and Manchester Evening News.

Good luck, I am sure you will be fine in this area of work.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries_bird
I wouldn't have thought you would have a problem if you have experience. First place I googled was University of Leeds, they currently have 13 Admin vacancies.

http://jobs.leeds.ac.uk/fe/tpl_universityofleeds01.asp

A basic search on the Job Centre webpages brought up 25 Administrative Assistant jobs in and around Leeds city centre.

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...fff7af23&pid=1

Leeds City Council currently have 3 vacancies listed.

http://jobs.leeds.gov.uk/

There are lots of agencies to register with too that I dare say could find you temporary work in the city fairly soon as a stop gap.

Also, check out the http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/jobs/ site, there are jobs advertised here most of the time.

I didn't look into Manchester but would guess that as it's bigger than Leeds there would be at the least similar opportunities. Try the Universities/NHS/Councils/Agencies and Manchester Evening News.

Good luck, I am sure you will be fine in this area of work.

Hi aries_bird,

Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Is there anyone who has recently moved to Leeds? Or plans to move there?

I was in Bristol for 3 weeks. The job market down there is not bad. But, I found it too expensive. I went to see many recruitment agencies. They told me that I would be looking at around £8.00 per hour as an average wage.

I was also in contact with agencies in Leeds they mentioned that I would be looking at £8.00 per hour. The cost of living is cheaper up there. That's the main reason I'm thinking about going up to Leeds to look for work.

Last edited by Canuck74; Aug 24th 2011 at 12:50 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:44 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Leeds and I highly recommend it. Friendly, bustling, and totally rejuvenated since the 80s when I worked there. Some northern cities are down on their luck but not Leeds. Plus, go half an hour in any direction and you are in beautiful countryside - especially to the north in the Yorkshire Dales. You really have the best of all worlds there and the people are just wonderful.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm from Leeds and I highly recommend it. Friendly, bustling, and totally rejuvenated since the 80s when I worked there. Some northern cities are down on their luck but not Leeds. Plus, go half an hour in any direction and you are in beautiful countryside - especially to the north in the Yorkshire Dales. You really have the best of all worlds there and the people are just wonderful.
A touch bias there SS? lol I have yet to re visit Leeds since our return but plan to, I also think Sheffield is also a good base, improves every year and just surrounded by lovely countryside as well, very nice areas to the South of Sheffield as well , M1 and A1 not far either....AND Manchester is not far lol
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Manchesterland has loads of admin type jobs, it always was the place for this type of clerical work.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's going to be a difficult decision for me. Because, I like both cites. lol
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:41 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
A touch bias there SS? lol I have yet to re visit Leeds since our return but plan to, I also think Sheffield is also a good base, improves every year and just surrounded by lovely countryside as well, very nice areas to the South of Sheffield as well , M1 and A1 not far either....AND Manchester is not far lol
I don't know Sheffield well at all, but I'm interested to find out more about it because it's in such a lovely spot. I do love my Yorkshire Dales though, so for me it's hard to beat North Yorkshire.