Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I've never been to Australia

I've never been to Australia

Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:41 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've never been to Australia

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Having never been to Australia I have no idea but I think I would steer clear of this particular Sheila (who is English)! I just wonder if her husband is long-suffering or if he is just the same.
They tend to be a bit more ... strident ... over here.

Subtlety is in short supply
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Having never been to Australia I have no idea but I think I would steer clear of this particular Sheila. I just wonder if her husband is long-suffering or if he is just the same.
He probably works in the publishing industry as a proof-reader, but resolved from the get-go not to mix his professional with his home-life.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Melbourne and Sydney last year.

I certainly liked it, though didn't immediately feel it was such a remarkable or interesting country to justify the massive trip over there. Being in the US, where we are spoilt by options like San Francisco, NYC, Chicago, Miami etc, etc, couldn't quite see the draw.

I had a business trip to Melbourne then paid my own way on a budget airline called JetStar, to go to Sydney and stayed with my cousin who moved with his family there a few years back. Figured I wouldn't get many opportunities in my life to be a $100 flight from Sydney with a free place to stay

The wife was clearly well pleased for me to extend the international business trip and leave her alone with the kids for a bit longer
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Spent 2 weeks viting Sydney and up the east coast to the Whitsunday Islands last month.
It was never somewhere on my "must go to" list but I was suitably impressed.
I certainly felt very at ease there and can see why people are attracted to the places I visited...of course, a vacation is not the same as living there
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Have never been to Australia although my sister has lived in Canberra for 25 yrs and my brother-in-law in Perth for 20yrs.

From what my parents say and my sister say, Canberra is not the most interesting place in the world

My brother-in-law loves Perth and has no intention of living any where else. My father-in-law(aged 86) has visited Perth and Austin where we live. Perth wins hands down -
1: both have sun unlike dreary Scotland but Perth wins as its not as hot as TX which is unbearable
2. Perth has miles of sandy beaches and promenades - Austin has a few lakes with limited public access (and they are rapidly disappearing with this drought )
3. Transport, Perth and outlying districts has plenty which meant he had the freedom to take himself to other places without relying on my BIL. Austin has limited transport options and where we live in Pflugerville they decided to opt out in 2000 so we have zero transport options
4. food- from what I have heard because its on the Asian side, they have a great selection of eating out options. Austin is one of the few places in TX (Houston is better) for eating out. so they are equal in my FIL eyes.
3. Lifestyles seems similar but no guns in Australia.

Hope to visit one day but have no desire to stay - have never like Australians. Being a Londoner, routinely came across them when I was younger and not impressed at all. An Australian friend of my Mum came to stay once for a short stay whilst she found other accommodation and after a year, my Mum had to evict her! Shouldn't base my opinion on few instances I know but as one of them is my other brother-in-law who Australian, I think I might be fixed in my ways
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:33 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nethead
I'd like to visit Australia, but I have no desire to live there, especially Perth.

I was waiting for one of you guys to suggest a poll similar to the 'is Houston shit or not' poll we had, except it should be 'is Perth boring or not'?
I have lived in Perth and I am with you on that one.:sunglasses:
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
My father-in-law(aged 86) has visited Perth and Austin where we live. Perth wins hands down -
1: both have sun unlike dreary Scotland but Perth wins as its not as hot as TX which is unbearable
2. Perth has miles of sandy beaches and promenades - Austin has a few lakes with limited public access (and they are rapidly disappearing with this drought )
3. Transport, Perth and outlying districts has plenty which meant he had the freedom to take himself to other places without relying on my BIL. Austin has limited transport options and where we live in Pflugerville they decided to opt out in 2000 so we have zero transport options
4. food- from what I have heard because its on the Asian side, they have a great selection of eating out options. Austin is one of the few places in TX (Houston is better) for eating out. so they are equal in my FIL eyes.
3. Lifestyles seems similar but no guns in Australia.

Hope to visit one day but have no desire to stay - have never like Australians. Being a Londoner, routinely came across them when I was younger and not impressed at all. An Australian friend of my Mum came to stay once for a short stay whilst she found other accommodation and after a year, my Mum had to evict her! Shouldn't base my opinion on few instances I know but as one of them is my other brother-in-law who Australian, I think I might be fixed in my ways
Interesting one - I used to visit Perth regularly on business a few years back, and less regularly for vacation, although on vacation it was always as a transit point rather than a destination. Now visit Austin quite regularly as a destination. As a place to visit, Austin would win hands down in my book - not even a close competition. He may have a point on transportation - I dont know as never used public transport in Perth, but apart from that....

As a place to live, I think Austin would win as well, mainly because Perth is pretty small and just so damn far away from anywhere else....

I'm a bit confused by the obsession with Oz to be honest - I sort of like Australia as a country, but in a way its a lot like Yorkshire - it would be a whole lot better with less of the freakin locals...