Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I've been here in NY for 1 week now....

I've been here in NY for 1 week now....

Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:52 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've been here in NY for 1 week now....

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Hi Hiro - Not sure if you're asking if Al Capone had stomping grounds in NY? If so, yes, in Brooklyn's Carroll Gardens area.
Sorry, as a loyal Chicagoan, I must claim Capone as our own. I know he grew up in new York, but Chicago made him famous. You can have John Gotti.

Also, as others have said, it's simply impossible to have a complete picture of any place after one week. This is particularly true of a city as labyrinthine as New York. I lived there for years and feel like I hardly know the place. It's a "fractal" city, every time you begin to understand one aspect of it, it opens up new layers of complexity. Every week, I was discovering new subcultures, neighborhoods, places to hang out, parks, things to do. It's also constantly changing and evolving from one week to the next. Don't get discouraged so quickly, I think pretty much anyone can find a comfortable niche in New York.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

LadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really niceLadyBelle is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Sorry, as a loyal Chicagoan, I must claim Capone as our own. I know he grew up in new York, but Chicago made him famous. You can have John Gotti.

Also, as others have said, it's simply impossible to have a complete picture of any place after one week. This is particularly true of a city as labyrinthine as New York. I lived there for years and feel like I hardly know the place. It's a "fractal" city, every time you begin to understand one aspect of it, it opens up new layers of complexity. Every week, I was discovering new subcultures, neighborhoods, places to hang out, parks, things to do. It's also constantly changing and evolving from one week to the next. Don't get discouraged so quickly, I think pretty much anyone can find a comfortable niche in New York.
Take Capone!
Hiro's thoughts on NYC are very well-put. Good advice.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:11 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

He he! I saw Elfman's 'don't tell Roland' comment.

If it's any help, my (American) wife is definitely the reluctant partner about america. She much prefered it in England. She said she found people to be less 'two faced' than back home. I don't think that's anything to do with nationality, though. She was a waitress on Long Island and worked with some pretty dodgy people (like one asked to borrow her car for an hour. Three days later, he called up telling her where it was parked and asking for her to come and bail him out.)

My friends from London just came out this weekend and we talked about New York vs. London. Clearly, you all know which one I prefer. But to each their own.

I prefer New york because it's MUCH more navigable (you can walk cross-town in half an hour) and much cheaper. London is disgustingly expensive.

He (my friend) preferred London because of the history, his familiarity with it (and, in my opinion, the fact that he's Bertie Wooster reincarnated.) I think my wife preferred London, too.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:12 am
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Come on guys its only 1 week, if money is a problem then you will have to make a choice, but living in London and now NYC I dont think that will be an issue, so follow your hearts , but give it a chance before you make rash decisions.

remember you both have choices and do whats best for each other.

ILM
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:09 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Rete is spot on; it's the first thing that came to mind when reading your post. Where is she from in the States?

NYC is fantastic, but a week is not going to get you assimilated. It's not so easy to feel at home in NYC; it'll take some time. It's a big, busy place and you can feel lost at first. But, it's a phenomenally vibrant place, and the Gramercy Park area is nice. Branch out, walk around. Get involved, make a home. If you want more 'history' and older architectural styles, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and keep your eyes wide open! (Go at about 8pm and watch all of the lights come on on the building in NYC's skyline (minus the towers : ( ). Go to Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope. Need more history? Read about where all of the immigrants arrived and where they went...they go visit those places. That'll take you to Red Hook too. Go to Al Capone's old stomping grounds; not history? : ) It's just a different kind, isn't it? There are great buildings on the west side in the 70's on up.

We're in London and have been overseas for quite a while. We were thinking about some of the differences of life in NYC vs. London. They are so different, but have so many fantastic things to offer. London parks are absolutely fantastic; we thoroughly enjoy them. NYC's Central Park has lots of 'attractions'; go loosen up and have some fun watching people express art --- I love the rollerbladers who hang out in that one particular area and DANCE; you can even join in! Need something higher end 'culture'? Have tea at Tavern on the Green. Central Park in the winter -- Wolman Rink Ice Skating rink --- watch all of the colourful snow jackets form a rainbow as people skate round and round. SKATE, enjoy. Horse and carriages are there as they are here.

East side has a great paved walkway that goes from Battery Park all the way up to at least the Upper West Side. Bike it. Blade it. Walk it. It's nice. The Intrepid is there. (It's still there, right? It's been a while.)

There are similarities; you're not moving from London to hicksville. You've got museums, like London. You've got orchestral and theatrical performances, like London. You've got nightlife, like London...oh wait, I think NYC stays up and open later, right? You've got cobblestone roads and brownstones, like London. You've got high end shops and fashion, like London. (Although I like the fashion here better! I never would have thought -- but see, that's the point: Keep an open mind and see what wonderful and new ideas and experiences you can enjoy in your new place.) New York City (Manhattan in your case) and London are very different places, but both have wonderful attributes and you are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy it from the inside. Make the most of it.

New York City on nice Summer nights? Something I miss immensely. They've been magical. Have a good time.

Again, not sure where your girlfriend is from or how old she is or what she's given up to come to NY or what she gave up to go to London. It's all personal to each person, isn't it. AND, it's only been a week! Moving to a new place and settling in takes time. You miss your friends, your job (maybe!), your life before, and maybe even parts of yourself.

HTH. Enjoy.
Thanks for the rave about New York! I have been going to London for years since I have so may friends there and I do love it . I have traveled to 26 countries and London is the city most like NY. You also have so many convienences here and things are alot less expensive! The UK does have etter chocolate though! I can get that here ut a crunch at my local deli is $2.25! There is shop called the Butcher lock in Queens that has all sorts of food from the UK and the prices are really good. Worth the trip from Manhattan. Everyone should come to NY to at least visit! If anyone is arriving soon give me a shout!