It's not where you live

Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's not where you live

Whats wrong with the good old way of living in the UK and just going for holidays in all those lovely countries
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

DOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=eurotramp]Whats wrong with the good old way of living in the UK and just going for holidays in all those lovely countries [/QUOTE

Nothing at all! and i cant wait until im back in July to start that good old living!

Good and bad everywhere, but no where like home!!

(hope i will be saying that still this next time next year)
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

DOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant futureDOEHEAD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Whats wrong with the good old way of living in the UK and just going for holidays in all those lovely countries
Where are you living eurotramp?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DOEHEAD
Where are you living eurotramp?

We live in Belgium at the moment, hubby works for NATO and we will move to Northwood in May..just cant wait to be back to civilisation
We have it easy, because anywhere will be nicer then here.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I moved to the USA to try something new. I was lucky to have this experience. When I go back home (to the UK) and listen to people and watch TV, everything I see and hear about the US is a stereotype. Only those who have lived in this country for any length of time really know what it is like. It has problems, crime, poverty like the UK (maybe worse!). The grass is no greener here than in the UK. There is also a lot of opportunity here though. When I lived in the UK I couldn't get a job, I came here and had a job within a week and bought a house six months later! My point though, in response to your post, is that I agree with what you wrote. No one can decide for us. Everyone has an opinion about what you should do, but only you know the right course of action for yourself. Have an adventure, see the world, but be realistic. No where is perfect. Everything you do has a price!
Your so right about the stereotypes, I was told by my UK friends that all American Children have basin hair cuts, when I said that I didnt recall seeing anything like that I was told that yes that is correct cause they had seen it on the tele!!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
very strong words for your first post??!!!

and his only post.............
Old Feb 7th 2006, 2:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Surely no-one expects a reply?

How many threads do we have where residents on the board spend days responding to a deliberately inflammatory first poster before they realize he/she never even bothered to check back into the board and read the replies?

Think of all the threads in the recent past on this part of the site that cover the "grass is greener" topic - this lazy bugger hasn't even looked through the archives, I bet.

Doh!!!!!
I rest my case .....
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=DOEHEAD][QUOTE=eurotramp]Whats wrong with the good old way of living in the UK and just going for holidays in all those lovely countries [/QUOTE

Nothing at all! and i cant wait until im back in July to start that good old living!

Good and bad everywhere, but no where like home!!

(hope i will be saying that still this next time next year)
[/QUOTE]

Just visited this forum after a long time away. moved back to uk in July and only stayed 3 weeks. Came back to France and didnt regret it. Family coming to us for xmas and cant wait.

Took us a long time and an expensive lesson to learn that home is here in France, after 13 years was just to hard to adjust to life in UK.

Anyone else had a similar experience????

But good luck to anyone moving back. I spent a lot of time reading these posts before moving back, and no one can judge, we have to try and expereince these things our self to know whats right.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:18 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Garden parties I dont think we have them here its more like chuck some greazy chops on a barbie, swotting fllies while inhaling your SP1000 and industrial stength mozzie repellant.
Sooooo funny, loving it honey
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
How much do you expect to pay in Oz?
In Australia the highest tax rate is 46c in the dollar. That is what I pay.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:29 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
In Australia the highest tax rate is 46c in the dollar. That is what I pay.
Must have changed in the last federal budget cos it was 47c before.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
You're right the grass is definitely not greener. As long as you go with eyes wide open knowing that Australia is not the UK but hotter. The everyday pace of life is different. I think they tend to work longer and harder, many people about to emmigrate seem to be under the illusion they work less, and get paid more?! I think you'll find you pay about the same tax as UK if not more.

I agree Blackpool Beach or Blackpool for that matter is somewhere I won't miss not ever going to again, but to be fair there are many many more far more beautiful places in the UK, than a comparison with Blackpool front?

Good luck, but come back on here with a comparison when you've lived in Aus for at while or maybe you have been already?. Its easier to see the other side of the coin then.
The tax rate is higher here than in the UK, not the same.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Must have changed in the last federal budget cos it was 47c before.
I don't know about that.
I had a long meeting with my accountant only yesterday, and he told me 46c in the dollar.
I reckon the ATO website would put us straight, but I couldn't face looking at it!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Err..grass will not be greener if you move to Australia....browner perhaps
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:32 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Err..grass will not be greener if you move to Australia....browner perhaps
Yup, definitely browner, unless your doing illicit watering

As for less tax, not, it's higher and then stuff that you get for your tax money like schools the public not private secondary school my eldest goes to has just sent me the bill for next year for $550 dollars :scared: , I can't face adding up the cost of his books and stationary on top of that but I'm guessing a couple of $100. Then there is healthcare $50 to see a GP thats before he writes the prescription per item, can't remember what that is but I don't recall thinking I was getting a bargin, plus if you earn over $50,000 per single person or $100,000 per couple there is a medicare levy if you haven't taken out private health insurance ($120 a month for a family of 4 hospital and extras) they also whack a surcharge if you don't take it out before 12 months of taking up residency, God I miss the NHS, the only positive is if you are in a public hospital each nurse only has 4 or 5 patients to look after on a day shift as opposed to 15 in England, though if you have health insurance you would probably be in a private hospital, then your nurse will have another 9 patients to look after and when you go home from your hospital stay you can expect to get the Gap bill for all the blood tests etc that have been done and extras that insurance doesn't cover and excess fee. Also there's the Ambulance fee per year.

Please don't get me started on how much more expensive it is to buy and run a car over here despite cheap petrol which is a laugh because you have to drive further to get anywhere.

YES Britain has a lot of good points, but then again I guess Australia has I just can't think of any off the top of me head

Last edited by meljor; Dec 19th 2006 at 9:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.