It's not where you live

Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:45 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not where you live

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
The tax rate is higher here than in the UK, not the same.
Yes but you have to be earning a lot to enter the higher bracket, a bloody lot in fact.

$0 – $6,000

Nil

$6,001 – $25,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$25,001 – $75,000

$2,850 plus 30c for each $1 over $25,000

$75,001 – $150,000

$17,850 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000

Over $150,000

$47,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yes but you have to be earning a lot to enter the higher bracket, a bloody lot in fact.

$0 – $6,000

Nil

$6,001 – $25,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$25,001 – $75,000

$2,850 plus 30c for each $1 over $25,000

$75,001 – $150,000

$17,850 plus 40c for each $1 over $75,000

Over $150,000

$47,850 plus 45c for each $1 over $150,000
Aus tax bands changed this year. When I posted the original comment (in response to the woman complaining about the 40% tax rate in the UK) the highest rate of tax in Aus was 47% and came into effect on a $75k salary. Great tax reforms tho!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:02 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
The tax rate is higher here than in the UK, not the same.

Yes definitely a lot higher I expect
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by meljor
Yup, definitely browner, unless your doing illicit watering

As for less tax, not, it's higher and then stuff that you get for your tax money like schools the public not private secondary school my eldest goes to has just sent me the bill for next year for $550 dollars :scared: , I can't face adding up the cost of his books and stationary on top of that but I'm guessing a couple of $100. Then there is healthcare $50 to see a GP thats before he writes the prescription per item, can't remember what that is but I don't recall thinking I was getting a bargin, plus if you earn over $50,000 per single person or $100,000 per couple there is a medicare levy if you haven't taken out private health insurance ($120 a month for a family of 4 hospital and extras) they also whack a surcharge if you don't take it out before 12 months of taking up residency, God I miss the NHS, the only positive is if you are in a public hospital each nurse only has 4 or 5 patients to look after on a day shift as opposed to 15 in England, though if you have health insurance you would probably be in a private hospital, then your nurse will have another 9 patients to look after and when you go home from your hospital stay you can expect to get the Gap bill for all the blood tests etc that have been done and extras that insurance doesn't cover and excess fee. Also there's the Ambulance fee per year.

Please don't get me started on how much more expensive it is to buy and run a car over here despite cheap petrol which is a laugh because you have to drive further to get anywhere.

YES Britain has a lot of good points, but then again I guess Australia has I just can't think of any off the top of me head

Its is interesting that an English newspaper I was looking at the other day was moaning on the front page about mixed wards all in the negative. I was in hospital here in JUly and they had mixed wards! No one said anything about it.The guy in the next bed drove me nuts with his snoring I had just had an emergency operation so wasn't in the best form.I got up and asked to be moved before I put a pillow over his face.They moved me it was 2am.Alot of people didn't like it but they don't say anything.

There are many things here that go on that are just the same as UK it just seems no one says anything. I too miss the NHS going to the doctors costs a fortune.Many here do not bulk bill and prescriptions on top make an expensive trip.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:48 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
Its is interesting that an English newspaper I was looking at the other day was moaning on the front page about mixed wards all in the negative. I was in hospital here in JUly and they had mixed wards! No one said anything about it.The guy in the next bed drove me nuts with his snoring I had just had an emergency operation so wasn't in the best form.I got up and asked to be moved before I put a pillow over his face.They moved me it was 2am.Alot of people didn't like it but they don't say anything.

There are many things here that go on that are just the same as UK it just seems no one says anything. I too miss the NHS going to the doctors costs a fortune.Many here do not bulk bill and prescriptions on top make an expensive trip.
Yes the mixed rooms are horrible I was fortunate in England that the hospital I worked in had mixed wards but separate rooms for men and women, I found it hard here to accept men and women together in the same room. A lot of people complain, quite rightly in my mind especially as a hospital curtain is a very poor sound barrier, the doctors rounds are embarrassing at times.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:52 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Garden parties I dont think we have them here its more like chuck some greazy chops on a barbie, swotting fllies while inhaling your SP1000 and industrial stength mozzie repellant.
And at the same time choking on the smoke from the bush fires