Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's The Littles Things That Mean So Much

It's The Littles Things That Mean So Much

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:26 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's The Littles Things That Mean So Much

We have been back just over 3mths now. I wont deny that having to go through all the red tape in getting OH cleared for working wasnt much fun, but thats al over with now, but I just want to list a few of the little things that mean so much to me since being back home where I belong.

Striking up fun and pleasant conversations with people at the shops. I had to go to the bank on Monday. There was a bit of a queue. Within a minute or so, myself and 3 other women were chatting, laughing and discussing issues of the day like we'd known each other for years. What a lovely change to shopping in Aus. If you started chatting to most people over there you'd often get a blank stare and that uneasiness when someone thinks you are mentally deranged

Went into Waitrose yesterday. How nice it was to see the majority of staff were (how shall i put it) more mature Which in itself seems to offer a better standard of customer service. They actually behave as if they WANT to help you. I went to customer service desk to ask for a mobility scooter. The very nice lady not only got me the key, but told me to sit on the chair and she would go outside to fetch for me so i didnt have to walk back outside the shop
You dont even get scooters in Aus supermarkets!!

What sheer joy it was in the heat yesterday with all my grandkids together in the back yard. Unlike Aus, no water restrictions!! This led to the paddling pool and water hose making an appearance. Granny even had the hose shoved down the back of her T shirt!!

Yummy rasberry ripple icecream with strawberries picked from the garden Yummo!

FLOWERS, FLOWERS, FLOWERS. What can i say?? Stunning. Hats off to all those people here, who make their front gardens a work of art with bursting blooms everywhere. I just adore all the colourful hanging backets and window boxes overflowing everywhere.

Sitting in the garden listening to the ping pong sounds of Wimbledon on the radio.

Life is all good

Anyone else who has returned got little things that have made them glad to be home?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's The Littles Things That Mean So Much

yes,listening to the birds while actually been able to have windows open!!!!!!!!!
on Sunday we ,as a family took a stroll down to the local pub for lunch.When we walked in the landlady said hello and asked us how were were getting on living in the village !!!!!!!!!
I am sure i will think of some more
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Hi to you Fleaflyfloflum,
Adore the name, l read your message and yes l guess we all take things for granted sometimes don't we....however hubby and l are researching NZ and also plan to see what it's like out there in April of next year for a minimum of 6 weeks....l must confess that having read so much on the forum about peeps wanting to come home to the UK has left me with lots of things to think about...should we make this expensive trip or should we just realise that we are very lucky in the UK...on the other hand there are lots of stories on here about peeps having a positive feel about their lives in NZ, OZ etc...what a dilemma, sorry it's not really about 'Its the little things that mean so much' but well in a strange way is does if you get my meaning....
l hope you settle in to UK way of life soon, it sounds like you're well on your way...good luck and best wishes

xxElainexx
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:19 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbles08
yes,listening to the birds while actually been able to have windows open!!!!!!!!!
on Sunday we ,as a family took a stroll down to the local pub for lunch.When we walked in the landlady said hello and asked us how were were getting on living in the village !!!!!!!!!
I am sure i will think of some more
Ahh yes the birds! So much more tuneful than Cockies!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:22 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by xxElainexx
Hi to you Fleaflyfloflum,
Adore the name, l read your message and yes l guess we all take things for granted sometimes don't we....however hubby and l are researching NZ and also plan to see what it's like out there in April of next year for a minimum of 6 weeks....l must confess that having read so much on the forum about peeps wanting to come home to the UK has left me with lots of things to think about...should we make this expensive trip or should we just realise that we are very lucky in the UK...on the other hand there are lots of stories on here about peeps having a positive feel about their lives in NZ, OZ etc...what a dilemma, sorry it's not really about 'Its the little things that mean so much' but well in a strange way is does if you get my meaning....
l hope you settle in to UK way of life soon, it sounds like you're well on your way...good luck and best wishes

xxElainexx
My husband is a New Zealander. We lived there for 2yrs but it was way too quiet for us.
I cant tell you whats right for you as we are all different. Maybe you just need to suck it and see. But for us, we cant be happier than we are in UK. Even my kiwi husband kissed the ground when we got back here.. he has always loved Britain.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
My husband is a New Zealander. We lived there for 2yrs but it was way too quiet for us.
I cant tell you whats right for you as we are all different. Maybe you just need to suck it and see. But for us, we cant be happier than we are in UK. Even my kiwi husband kissed the ground when we got back here.. he has always loved Britain.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Hi there,
thank you for your message...yes l know it's down to us, and of course realise what you say, also very pleased you are settling here in the UK
thank you again
xxElainexx
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

I personally regret the day we ever went to OZ but it has made me appreciate what people take for granted here.The countryside is the best!!!!! I have travelled around the world ,so seen some stunning places but were i live is gorgeous ,but had to go away to appreciate that.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:47 am
I don't give a damn

I personally regret the day we ever went to OZ but it has made me appreciate what people take for granted here.The countryside is the best!!!!! I have travelled around the world ,so seen some stunning places but were i live is gorgeous ,but had to go away to appreciate that.
You are so right Bubbles. I am also glad i did leave and experience other cultures and find out that my country really IS a good place to live despite its faults.

I have noticed that much of the complaints from people on these boards about UK, relate to inner city issues, high crime, crowding, traffic, etc etc... but that is city living!! I still Love London, but have realised i can have a totally different lifestyle elsewhere. You dont have to move across the globe to change how you live, it can easily be done within the UK. There is such diversity here, but the complainers seem to dwell on one aspect of it.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Ditto. I love where we are too. OZ was ok, just not for us, we needed more entertainment and not just sandy beaches.

The little things that mean alot are just being able to pop in to see my parents, go for a drink with them, family and friends all around us. Priceless.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

people talk about emigrating and the lovely weather ,but if you have not got your loved ones around you then it means nothing............when you get to the end of your life what are you going to treasure ???
the good times with the people that you love ?

or the weather ?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

God where do I start! Ok just recently returned from Oz,and after speaking to family and friends,we know we made the right choice for us by staying in the UK (We had gone over to Oz to validate OH's visa).Love the weather here!We've just had a week of warm weather,maybe abit too warm at times,but today is just right 23c,and thats pretty ok with me.Even in winter I love it,going for long walks across the countryside,can't beat it!I also appreciate the fact of having no water restrictions,being pretty much self sufficient in veggies and fruit means I can water whenever I want (although I do use my water butt's quite often).Love the fact we have sooooo much entertainment here,spoilt for choice.None of my family/friends seemed to do much in Oz that way and it made us realise how lucky we are!Love the nations sense of humour,choice in supermarkets,lack of deadly spiders and snakes,the greeness of our land,stunning gardens,choice of alcoholic beverages at cheap prices,god I could go on,but yes all those little things mean alot don't they?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:00 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by livinginreality
God where do I start! Ok just recently returned from Oz,and after speaking to family and friends,we know we made the right choice for us by staying in the UK (We had gone over to Oz to validate OH's visa).Love the weather here!We've just had a week of warm weather,maybe abit too warm at times,but today is just right 23c,and thats pretty ok with me.Even in winter I love it,going for long walks across the countryside,can't beat it!I also appreciate the fact of having no water restrictions,being pretty much self sufficient in veggies and fruit means I can water whenever I want (although I do use my water butt's quite often).Love the fact we have sooooo much entertainment here,spoilt for choice.None of my family/friends seemed to do much in Oz that way and it made us realise how lucky we are!Love the nations sense of humour,choice in supermarkets,lack of deadly spiders and snakes,the greeness of our land,stunning gardens,choice of alcoholic beverages at cheap prices,god I could go on,but yes all those little things mean alot don't they?
Is that all??

When i get my nice little home with a garden, i shall be calling on you for help lol
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:02 pm
I don't give a damn

people talk about emigrating and the lovely weather ,but if you have not got your loved ones around you then it means nothing............when you get to the end of your life what are you going to treasure ???
the good times with the people that you love ?

or the weather ?
Exactly!

I have only been back 3mths yet i have more treasured memories stored in my head with the grandkids than i stored from Aus for years!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

My husband and I and14 friends went to see Take That yesterday at Wembly and it was ....FANTASTIC!!!!!the atmosphere was great,everyone was up and dancing
Compare it to Robbie Williams in Perth ..no comparison!!!!$100 , no atmosphere ,people really did not let themselves go ,
the same when we went to see Micheal Buble in OZ ,which i bought a ticket for $200 !!!!!.
Take That was only fifty quid.
We are so looking forward to going to Wembly again.We found that not many bands came to Perth as too far away !!
We were singing ..Back for good .......and a friend got really emotional and started crying as we really were ................Back for good !that was priceless,so i am sorry but beaches ,big houses and sunny weather cannot conpare with moments like that !
Hang on ,we have had lovely weather and my house aint small ,but no beach ..............two out of three aint bad!!!!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:26 pm
I don't give a damn

My husband and I and14 friends went to see Take That yesterday at Wembly and it was ....FANTASTIC!!!!!the atmosphere was great,everyone was up and dancing
Compare it to Robbie Williams in Perth ..no comparison!!!!$100 , no atmosphere ,people really did not let themselves go ,
the same when we went to see Micheal Buble in OZ ,which i bought a ticket for $200 !!!!!.
Take That was only fifty quid.
We are so looking forward to going to Wembly again.We found that not many bands came to Perth as too far away !!
We were singing ..Back for good .......and a friend got really emotional and started crying as we really were ................Back for good !that was priceless,so i am sorry but beaches ,big houses and sunny weather cannot conpare with moments like that !
Hang on ,we have had lovely weather and my house aint small ,but no beach ..............two out of three aint bad!!!!!!!
I am sooo looking forward to doing this kind of stuff once we are settled.

Do you know the best online place to find future concerts and entertainment stuff for UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.