Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Wikiposts

It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

mumof5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Originally Posted by happy4
Hi there, so glad for you too and like you, we are taking a step down financially but my goodness, the difference in how I feel since deciding to head home is amazing, I hadn't really seen how far down I had gone; I have just existed here for 18 months, seen wonderful places and things but not really taken them in, my confidence has dropped and I think this is through trying to make friends, putting yourself out there, so draining and soul destroying. Some people I did meet have been very nice, but you can't force yourself on them. Also, being a full time mum and being at home with the little ones, they are now 4 and 2 was quite hard. I missed people popping by and having some time to myself, my week consisted of filling my time to try and keep our children busy, we did have some nice days at the Zoo and the beach.

I have stayed here solely for my OH's job, thats why we came here, but lately I have come to see that is no way for me to live my life, it has made me utterley and completely unhappy and I need to put myself first and our children first, there is no way I want to end up stuck here and I woke up the other day and thought, I am making plans to leave, to go home, to feel myself again. After a year of telling asking my OH to take us home, I TOLD him we are going home, my peace of mind is priceless and my children's happiness too. Things are a bit awkward, but I'm glad I made the decision! I can't wait for our son to start School in September and me Uni if I haven't left it too late to apply, ann x
Hi Ann like you we came here for my husbands job, and it is a lot better than the job he had in the UK, better paid and more stimulating for him. BUT as you say you have to put yourself first,this is how I feel, I have never been unhappy, we lived in Malaysia for 11 years and I was fine occasionally homesick but nothing unbearable, I also thought coming to Oz would be a breeze!! However I have been unhappy since arriving I just feel so unlike myself, so I know I have to go home. I also have a place to study at uni in Sept and am so excited!!! Good luck with your application and congrats on the decision!!
Julie
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really nice

Just wanted to say WELL DONE, You'll be happier from now on i am sure - you've done your travelling.

Good luck - i envy you!!!

janine
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:34 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Just have to say that he doesn't have to stay for the graduation ceremony. The uni will post his parchment to him. That's what I'm doing.
Thanks Tracey, I'll let him know that. He wasn't sure, so was going to enquire when he goes back to uni.

We've had abit of a change in the household. He and his long term girlfriend are seeing less of each other as he's asked for some 'space' and, he has also told her that he won't be going to England with her and her family in July now. So, it seems that this is the beginning of the end of their relationship, which is sad in a way, but might make decisions abit easier for us all.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Although i have never been one to make most of my decisions based on finances, i can understand why it plays hard on peoples minds. But truthfully, i believe our happiness inside is worth so much more than the size of your house or the car you drive. I am really looking forward to going back home without the urge to build up material wealth.
So many people stop themselves going back because they worry they will have to live in a smaller house. I dont understand that. How much space do you need that its worth being unhappy for? I live in an apartment. OK it isnt tiny but i will be just as happy in one in UK as long as i can get out and about and enjoy mu life.

Good luck Ann
A very kind member sent me dvd's of WDU recently and I have been watching with interest and frustration, sometimes to the point of screaming at the tele. On one of the episodes I watched this w/e, the wife said the reason she wanted to come to Oz was to get away from the material way of life in the UK. I nearly choked on my salad roll.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Thanks Tracey, I'll let him know that. He wasn't sure, so was going to enquire when he goes back to uni.

We've had abit of a change in the household. He and his long term girlfriend are seeing less of each other as he's asked for some 'space' and, he has also told her that he won't be going to England with her and her family in July now. So, it seems that this is the beginning of the end of their relationship, which is sad in a way, but might make decisions abit easier for us all.

I know at ECU you don't have to go to graduation and I'm sure, as long as he's got enough course credit points, he'll find the same at his uni.

As for the girlfriend situation, breathe a sigh of relief and watch him slip away from her.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:44 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I know at ECU you don't have to go to graduation and I'm sure, as long as he's got enough course credit points, he'll find the same at his uni.

As for the girlfriend situation, breathe a sigh of relief and watch him slip away from her.
He is at ECU and definitely has enough credits, so that's good to know.

I have to admit that OH and I were kind of hoping that he wouldn't settle down with this girl. As sweet as she is for the most part, she has a vile temper and becomes physical when really upset. We feel his life would be miserable if he married her because of this. He actually locks himself in his bathroom when she loses it.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

This is fantastic news Ann, so pleased for you! Good luck with all of the plans. Hope it goes smoothly for you xx

Thx Tracey!! WoW!! You heading home then too? How as the trip back? annx
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof5
Hi Ann like you we came here for my husbands job, and it is a lot better than the job he had in the UK, better paid and more stimulating for him. BUT as you say you have to put yourself first,this is how I feel, I have never been unhappy, we lived in Malaysia for 11 years and I was fine occasionally homesick but nothing unbearable, I also thought coming to Oz would be a breeze!! However I have been unhappy since arriving I just feel so unlike myself, so I know I have to go home. I also have a place to study at uni in Sept and am so excited!!! Good luck with your application and congrats on the decision!!
Julie
We are in the same boat then Julie? What are you studying in September? Good for you! Yes, Oz has done strange things to me too, didn't feel myself here at all but there's always the future to look forward to, so thats fantastic for us. I do feel a bit for my OH as he likes his job here, but 18 months of unsettled feelings, loneliness and desperation has taken it's toll and I need to be in tip top shape for our little ones and they come first. All the best and good luck! ann x
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi everyone,

We made the decision today that we are going home instead of relocating to Sydney after an awful 5 weeks of me being in Melbourne on my own with our children and OH up in Sydney. I have become quite low recently and with the impending move there, trying to find a house thats not a tip with a small yard, arguments, stress from it all, I've absolutely had enough.

We arrived in Melbourne for my OH's job September 2006, I knew within a few weeks it wasn't for me and now 18 months later I feel I've given it enough of my life. I have never felt so absolutely desperate in a place, it is the most mind numbing place I have ever lived. I've visited many times before, but the reality of living here was quite a shock. I am thankful for the trip as it has made me realise a lot, I like England and having lived in a few countries now, I know it's home, no more moving and just to be settled again and pursue some interests of my own (University) gives joy and peace to my heart, something I really haven't had since I got here.

My absolute happiness today comes from knowing I am taking our children home, I could cry! My OH's job here is very good, but it hasn't bought us happiness, toady is the first time he has really looked at us all and realised it hasn't worked. I would love to be able to see going to Sydney as another experience, but I have no desire or need to go there, I would rather head home to normality and peace. Beaches are lovely for holidays but baking in 40 degree heat with two little ones is no fun, I would much rather visit my Dad in Wales.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone on here, in particular crystal23, flea, louised, quoll, pommybird, nu shnooz, brits1 who have really helped me, without your kind words and reading your experiences it would have been harder here that it has been, and to everyone else who visits this site, good luck, ann x

Good luck back in Brummy love the place!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

We just started packing up our home, pictures coming down. My three year old was confused, asked why? I told him we are going home; he gave me this biggest grin, and asked for Nana! He has never settled, missed everyone so much.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
We just started packing up our home, pictures coming down. My three year old was confused, asked why? I told him we are going home; he gave me this biggest grin, and asked for Nana! He has never settled, missed everyone so much.
Aw, how sweet! That's definitely a positive sign!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

It's the little moments like this that help you make sense of all the craziness. Thank goodness for the simple wisdom of children.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

bazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nice

I have never felt so absolutely desperate in a place, it is the most mind numbing place I have ever lived.

You want to be thankful you didnt end up in Perth.Good luck to you I long for the day I can say the same as you.I'm working on it!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:23 pm
'In limboland'

Aaww, that is so cute. Lucky nana.

Originally Posted by bazperth
I have never felt so absolutely desperate in a place, it is the most mind numbing place I have ever lived. You want to be thankful you didnt end up in Perth.Good luck to you I long for the day I can say the same as you.I'm working on it!
Hi Baz, I see you joined in 05 yet haven't posted much at all. Are you feeling low? Where are you in this sand pit?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, so glad for you too and like you, we are taking a step down financially but my goodness, the difference in how I feel since deciding to head home is amazing, I hadn't really seen how far down I had gone; I have just existed here for 18 months, seen wonderful places and things but not really taken them in, my confidence has dropped and I think this is through trying to make friends, putting yourself out there, so draining and soul destroying. Some people I did meet have been very nice, but you can't force yourself on them. Also, being a full time mum and being at home with the little ones, they are now 4 and 2 was quite hard. I missed people popping by and having some time to myself, my week consisted of filling my time to try and keep our children busy, we did have some nice days at the Zoo and the beach.

I have stayed here solely for my OH's job, thats why we came here, but lately I have come to see that is no way for me to live my life, it has made me utterley and completely unhappy and I need to put myself first and our children first, there is no way I want to end up stuck here and I woke up the other day and thought, I am making plans to leave, to go home, to feel myself again. After a year of telling asking my OH to take us home, I TOLD him we are going home, my peace of mind is priceless and my children's happiness too. Things are a bit awkward, but I'm glad I made the decision! I can't wait for our son to start School in September and me Uni if I haven't left it too late to apply, ann x
good for you. I know how you feel. Not lasted quite as long, been here 6 months, may last another few......feel we should try more, but you need to trust your instinct don't you? Little ones need to have consistence in mummy's moods, hard to put the smile on constantly!
I too have made some friends, but you just can't expect the same level of friendship that you have with friends from home.
It's funny how all of the people you leave go towards making you a whole person...I fell like I'm only about 40% me here!!
Just wondered what you're planning on studying back home? I think you can apply direct on the UCAS website, although I think apps had to be in by January. I have done a bit of research into uni for me too, are you able to start one of the modules towards it through open university? They have all different start dates.

I really want to teach, looking at doing degree in social work, then gaining teacher cert after. 4 years of hard study, although I feel invincible after planning to move to oz.....and back. Feel like I could achieve anything!!

I hope all your plans work out, where are you returning to?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
good for you. I know how you feel. Not lasted quite as long, been here 6 months, may last another few......feel we should try more, but you need to trust your instinct don't you? Little ones need to have consistence in mummy's moods, hard to put the smile on constantly!
I too have made some friends, but you just can't expect the same level of friendship that you have with friends from home.
It's funny how all of the people you leave go towards making you a whole person...I fell like I'm only about 40% me here!!
Just wondered what you're planning on studying back home? I think you can apply direct on the UCAS website, although I think apps had to be in by January. I have done a bit of research into uni for me too, are you able to start one of the modules towards it through open university? They have all different start dates.

I really want to teach, looking at doing degree in social work, then gaining teacher cert after. 4 years of hard study, although I feel invincible after planning to move to oz.....and back. Feel like I could achieve anything!!

I hope all your plans work out, where are you returning to?
Hi Kelbelinoz

This has been the hardest thing for me, putting on a brave front for our children, OH left for work at 7am and some days I felt overwhelmed with homesickness and fatigue and I would just need an hour to myself, impossible being here with no support. Our son was in Kinder for a few hours a week, this helped and we kept busy, I found a place at a Kinder for them (I'd been on the waiting list a while and classed as 'socially isolated'!), one day a week to start this January, but with OH wanting us to move to Sydney, I felt all my hard work was for nothing. It's completely worn me down and I'm normally really happy go lucky, I love being a full time mum, with my friends at home, I just can't wait to move on, my kids come first and I absolutley know they will love being home. My OH is a different matter, very moody at the mo, but our whole lives have been put on hold for 2 years and it's no way to live, staying, hoping a different city/house/job will change things. I know someone who has been here 3 1/2 years and their words ring true, don't stay if it doesn't feel right, I'm glad I've woken up, because I almost got deeper into it by going to Sydney. Australia will never be home, England is, because it's where my family and friends are, where my memories are and I don't for one second believe this is a better place for our children.

As regards to Uni, I've always wanted to be a Midwife, don't have a flying chance of getting a place at the moment! So I would like to complete a degree in Nursing first, it opens more doors, my aim is to get a place for September 09. I'd like to do a few more computer courses, I still struggle with it! Good news is I have completed an access course in July 2005 it took me 2 years part time, I was pregnant with our daughter at the time and gave birth and went back a week later!! We came here tin September 2005, the year I had completed it, I think this played on my mind as it was bloody hard work! I also think I gave up far too much to come here. In the meantime I am going to have a very quiet year, ( I need some time out after moving 6 times in 3 years) settling our son into School, watching his nativity play,(I hated Christmas here!!) enjoying our daughter, playing in the park, going to playgroups where I feel like me, just have some quiet time with my friends and enjoy myself again.

Good luck with Uni too!! annx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.