Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Wikiposts

It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Hi everyone,

We made the decision today that we are going home instead of relocating to Sydney after an awful 5 weeks of me being in Melbourne on my own with our children and OH up in Sydney. I have become quite low recently and with the impending move there, trying to find a house thats not a tip with a small yard, arguments, stress from it all, I've absolutely had enough.

We arrived in Melbourne for my OH's job September 2006, I knew within a few weeks it wasn't for me and now 18 months later I feel I've given it enough of my life. I have never felt so absolutely desperate in a place, it is the most mind numbing place I have ever lived. I've visited many times before, but the reality of living here was quite a shock. I am thankful for the trip as it has made me realise a lot, I like England and having lived in a few countries now, I know it's home, no more moving and just to be settled again and pursue some interests of my own (University) gives joy and peace to my heart, something I really haven't had since I got here.

My absolute happiness today comes from knowing I am taking our children home, I could cry! My OH's job here is very good, but it hasn't bought us happiness, toady is the first time he has really looked at us all and realised it hasn't worked. I would love to be able to see going to Sydney as another experience, but I have no desire or need to go there, I would rather head home to normality and peace. Beaches are lovely for holidays but baking in 40 degree heat with two little ones is no fun, I would much rather visit my Dad in Wales.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone on here, in particular crystal23, flea, louised, quoll, pommybird, nu shnooz, brits1 who have really helped me, without your kind words and reading your experiences it would have been harder here that it has been, and to everyone else who visits this site, good luck, ann x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's finally here, WE'RE GOING HOME!!

Originally Posted by happy4
Hi everyone,

We made the decision today that we are going home instead of relocating to Sydney after an awful 5 weeks of me being in Melbourne on my own with our children and OH up in Sydney. I have become quite low recently and with the impending move there, trying to find a house thats not a tip with a small yard, arguments, stress from it all, I've absolutely had enough.

We arrived in Melbourne for my OH's job September 2006, I knew within a few weeks it wasn't for me and now 18 months later I feel I've given it enough of my life. I have never felt so absolutely desperate in a place, it is the most mind numbing place I have ever lived. I've visited many times before, but the reality of living here was quite a shock. I am thankful for the trip as it has made me realise a lot, I like England and having lived in a few countries now, I know it's home, no more moving and just to be settled again and pursue some interests of my own (University) gives joy and peace to my heart, something I really haven't had since I got here.

My absolute happiness today comes from knowing I am taking our children home, I could cry! My OH's job here is very good, but it hasn't bought us happiness, toady is the first time he has really looked at us all and realised it hasn't worked. I would love to be able to see going to Sydney as another experience, but I have no desire or need to go there, I would rather head home to normality and peace. Beaches are lovely for holidays but baking in 40 degree heat with two little ones is no fun, I would much rather visit my Dad in Wales.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone on here, in particular crystal23, flea, louised, quoll, pommybird, nu shnooz, brits1 who have really helped me, without your kind words and reading your experiences it would have been harder here that it has been, and to everyone else who visits this site, good luck, ann x

I've just picked myself up from the floor. All I can say to you is good luck. I am so pleased you've made a decision and you sound so happy. Now bloody ring me and tell me the real story
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Well done happy4!! Your name has never been more relevant I guess!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:59 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Aaww, so glad you have made the big decision. You do sound happy as Crystal has said and it must be such a huge relief for you. Please keep us up to date with how things are progressing for you. One day I hope it will be me.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
Well done happy4!! Your name has never been more relevant I guess!!
Thk you! Well a happy3 with a subdued OH to follow in time hopefully! it's going to happen now or some time in the future, rather it was now, ann x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Aaww, so glad you have made the big decision. You do sound happy as Crystal has said and it must be such a huge relief for you. Please keep us up to date with how things are progressing for you. One day I hope it will be me.
I hope too one day it will be you
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:21 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I hope too one day it will be you
Thanks, but I fear it could be some time still before I go.

Where is 'home' for you?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:34 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Well!! Thats the best news i've heard all day. I am stoked for you Anne!

Thank goodness i didnt send the huge reply i wrote to your PM last night. It would have been inappropriate now..lol

Big hugs and all the best to you and the family. xx
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Ann, that is super news! You even sound different I am so thrilled for you and hope that the move home goes smoothly!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well!! Thats the best news i've heard all day. I am stoked for you Anne!

Thank goodness i didnt send the huge reply i wrote to your PM last night. It would have been inappropriate now..lol

Big hugs and all the best to you and the family. xx
Thx everyone for your kind words. Our home is in the south of Birmingham, we only bought it 3 years ago and had just finished it, we had gutted the whole house and everything in there I hold close to my heart! We kept our home and have been renting whilst here, this has been my saving grace, that we can actually go home. This may not be everyones cup of tea, but I really have done a lot of moving around, having lived in Barbados (loved it) and India, worked in Alaska stayed in a someones home in a remote part of Nepal! I really thought that Australia would be a doddle! How wrong I was!

Also our children were almost 3 and almost 1 when we arrived and I'd had a very busy couple of years. I think our children need roots now and rather they were in the UK than here, around family and a happy mum. I know Australia suits some people and good luck to them, I think it's a great place to travel around, but to live here I find quite isolating and one dimensional. Just glad and very relieved to be going home! Thx again! ann x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:46 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Good for you Ann - at the end of the day it's happiness that matters and it's clear that for you and your family the UK is what will make you happy.
Good luck with your returnxx
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello you - 'hoping's' no good - you've got to make sure that one day it IS you!!

I thought you guys were coming back once your son has finished his uni course, is this no longer the case?

If the OH is the stumbling block I found round the clock nagging to be quite effective - especially when coupled with the withdrawal of 'conjugal rights'!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:54 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by pommybird
Hello you - 'hoping's' no good - you've got to make sure that one day it IS you!!

I thought you guys were coming back once your son has finished his uni course, is this no longer the case?

If the OH is the stumbling block I found round the clock nagging to be quite effective - especially when coupled with the withdrawal of 'conjugal rights'!!
Haha, been there done that 'til I'm blue in the face and he's......, well, blue somewhere else.

Although our son finishes his uni courses in July, he doesn't actually graduate until next Feb., which is a right pain. OH asked me to order an electrical book that he'll need to get the new certificate when we go back, so I suppose that's promising. I know how hard it's going to be for him to start over again. Apart from the fact he is doing so well here and has built up an excellent reputation, he actually really likes the type of work he does. It makes me feel so guilty.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:03 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

We made the decision today that we are going home
I'm so thrilled for you!! Isn't it such a relief when the decision has finally been made? I always say that it's so much harder to go home than to leave. At least now you can start planning and looking forward to getting back to Beautiful Blighty

And if you are anything like me you will love it and appreciate it all the more when you get home.

Haha, been there done that 'til I'm blue in the face and he's......, well, blue somewhere else.

It makes me feel so guilty.
It must be so difficult for you but you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, you truly do derserve to be happy after so many years of sticking it out there for the sake of your family. It's your time now
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Congratulations, I can hear the joy ringing through in your post. Have a wonderful trip back home, and here's to settling back in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.