Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

Wikiposts

It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

Oooh, I'm watching NBC's annual Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting show - live in New York City - and it's lovely to hear some Christmas songs.

There's a good line up: Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Susan Boyle just sang a lovely version of 'Away in a Manger'. Cheryl Crow is on right now.

I'll go into NYC in a few days and see the tree for real....it's the best time of year to go into New York...
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

I'm having an early Xmas tomorrow evening with my parents (who will be back in Italy before the 25th). In addition to doing prezzies I'll be cooking Delia's curried nut roast along with sprouts, roasties and gravy. Also grabbed some crackers and a huge mother-fracking Xmas pud from World Market earlier this evening. And some Abita Christmas Ale (just because it was there).

Looking forward to waking up in Trumpton on Thursday morning.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

There's a good line up: Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Susan Boyle just sang a lovely version of 'Away in a Manger'. Cheryl Crow is on right now.
There's something very wrong with that sentence

You not going to be enjoying the joys of the fake snow at Tanglin Shopping Center this year then?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Heading in to the City this Sunday Englishmum, just to see the lights, the tree and to do a bit of ice skating in Bryant Park. We were going to go to the lighting Ceremony, but everyone talked us out of it and looking at the crowds last night, I'm glad I didn't bother. It has been a dream of mine for many years to go Christmas shopping in NYC and go and see the tree, probably ever since Home Alone 2 was out, so a dream of mine will hopefully be fulfilled on Sunday and the kids are so excited, they can't see straight.

Hope you enjoy your visit to the city when you go and have a fantastic Christmas!!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:35 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
Heading in to the City this Sunday Englishmum, just to see the lights, the tree and to do a bit of ice skating in Bryant Park. We were going to go to the lighting Ceremony, but everyone talked us out of it and looking at the crowds last night, I'm glad I didn't bother. It has been a dream of mine for many years to go Christmas shopping in NYC and go and see the tree, probably ever since Home Alone 2 was out, so a dream of mine will hopefully be fulfilled on Sunday and the kids are so excited, they can't see straight.

Hope you enjoy your visit to the city when you go and have a fantastic Christmas!!
New York's great at Christmas. I love the atmosphere, the window displays along 5th Ave are great. Mrs tonrob and I stayed in the city over Christmas a few years back - had a top time. Wandered round doing some low key sightseeing during the day, and went out and got hammered (that oh-so-British of festive activities) at night. Had a whale of a time. Even found an Indian restaurant open for Christmas lunch!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I went to NY for my 40th which is over the Xmas holidays (27th Dec) and it was magical, I absolutely loved the decorations. We got to see the dress rehearsal for the NYE celebrations in Times Square but missed the real thing as we had to be home on the big day itself
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
New York's great at Christmas. I love the atmosphere, the window displays along 5th Ave are great. Mrs tonrob and I stayed in the city over Christmas a few years back - had a top time. Wandered round doing some low key sightseeing during the day, and went out and got hammered (that oh-so-British of festive activities) at night. Had a whale of a time. Even found an Indian restaurant open for Christmas lunch!
Oh, the idea of getting hammered and an indian lunch are oh so appealing - was the indian any good as I have yet to find any indian over here that compares with what we got served back home, so have had to resort to buying indian cook books and doing it myself. A lot cheaper and a lot nicer!!

Would love to stay in the city, but it's just so expensive so I think our day trip will be enough - unless my OH has a nice NY trip as a Christmas pressie for me . I know - get a grip - what are the chances
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:32 am
Septic Sprout

Oh, the idea of getting hammered and an indian lunch are oh so appealing - was the indian any good as I have yet to find any indian over here that compares with what we got served back home, so have had to resort to buying indian cook books and doing it myself. A lot cheaper and a lot nicer!!

Would love to stay in the city, but it's just so expensive so I think our day trip will be enough - unless my OH has a nice NY trip as a Christmas pressie for me . I know - get a grip - what are the chances
No - the Indian was a bit shit but we were hungover at the time which took the edge off. The place I usually go to in NYC is much better - it's a British-themed place called Brick Lane that does a lunch buffet that's a cut above (I rarely enjoy Indian lunch buffets) and the prices are reasonable. There was also another place in mid-town that was really good but unfortunately I was to drunk to remember the name or exactly where it was...
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

You not going to be enjoying the joys of the fake snow at Tanglin Shopping Center this year then?
Oh yes I will lol!

Flying out to Singapore on 13th. AFAIK yes, they do still pump out foam "snow" at Tanglin Mall! It's so funny to see the local kids being enthralled by it...
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:15 pm

Talking Re: It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

OMG - did I really write that? Nooooooo!

A few days ago though, an Aussie friend said that she thinks Kylie is playing a few dates in NYC soon, and did I want to go if she buys some tickets?

I said yes....
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Off to Disney Florida next week should be fun this time of the year!

Its a Business trip but going to say "Hi" to Mickey

Last edited by Poppy girl; Dec 3rd 2010 at 1:57 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 1:54 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a panic over crackers now. Having read all the threads on here about them for weeks, I suddenly realised I don't have any!!!

Not just me then...*phew*. I couldnt think of a much worse line up
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:14 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Off to Disney Florida next week should be fun this time of the year!

Its a Business trip but going to say "Hi" to Mickey
I'm there now but leaving tomorrow. Pity we don't overlap as we could have arranged another piss up since the last one was so much fun...
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:31 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Bah! Humbug!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:46 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Heading in to the City this Sunday Englishmum, just to see the lights, the tree and to do a bit of ice skating in Bryant Park.
Have a great time -- NYC during the Christmas season is a lot of fun -- the window displays, the lights, FAO Schwartz for the kids. And my favorite, chestnuts or hot pretzels from vendors on street corners!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.