Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's been a long time part 2

It's been a long time part 2

Old Apr 25th 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of
Default It's been a long time part 2

Hi again,

The main reason for a part 2 is to add some flesh to the bones of our first update but before I begin just a brief synopsis of part 1. We came back to the UK (Shropshire)last July after 20 years in Oz. It's been hard, often despairing but finally after 9 months we've decided to stay. The main reason - for all its faults - Britain is beautiful, astoundingly so - I just wish the people who have never left could see it through the returnees eyes.

Anyway, now the flesh. When we first landed we were lucky enough to stay with relatives - not ideal obviously - but it gave us the chance to initially rest and then start looking for work, establish bank accounts, get driver's licences and complete all the other endless mundane tasks that can be so wearing. We'd already got a place for Rheanna (our 13 year old) at a local school so at least we didn't have to do that.

I work in learning disabilities and there was (and still is) heaps of work available. I was offered 2 jobs fairly quickly, but for reasons to be revealed later was unable to take them. Julie is a Psychologist with Australian qualifications and was initially refused recognition by the governing body in the UK (the Health Professions Council.) Being an Aussie Julie refused to take this lying down so after furiously writing case studies, and badgering the hell out of them, she was finally accepted.

Julie applied for about 6 jobs, got interviews for all and was offered 2. She started work last November for the NHS. Unfortunately this is only a maternity position but we're hopeful something will work out before her contract expires. Julie herself will write a piece telling of her adventures!!

Now to our 13 year old daughter Rheanna. I think it was always going to be toughest on her, leaving her friends and everything she knew behind and then having to stay with people she hardly knew. Anyway, as I've said, we'd already got her a place at school before we left Oz, but unfortunately it just didn't work out. Rhe was unable to cope with so much change so suddenly and became too anxious to get to school. It was just too much for her. We tried everything and the school was great but in the end we had to take her out of the education system and I am currently home educating her (hence the reason I was unable to take up the offers of work.) To be honest it's worked out quite well (tip for future returnees try to turn every negative into a positive) Rheanna has had more time to settle without the stress of school and I'm learning stuff too!! Rheanna has even stated she wants to stay in the UK now and wants to try school again this coming September.

Once we had income coming in we were able to rent which has helped us all enormously. Truth to tell we're all a lot happier and contented. It's taken 9 hard months but it's been worth it. We're home to stay.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to ask any questions.

We'll keep you posted about our adventures.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's been a long time part 2

Thanks for the update and fingers and toes crossed that everything continues to go well!!

Originally Posted by salopian
Hi again,

The main reason for a part 2 is to add some flesh to the bones of our first update but before I begin just a brief synopsis of part 1. We came back to the UK (Shropshire)last July after 20 years in Oz. It's been hard, often despairing but finally after 9 months we've decided to stay. The main reason - for all its faults - Britain is beautiful, astoundingly so - I just wish the people who have never left could see it through the returnees eyes.

Anyway, now the flesh. When we first landed we were lucky enough to stay with relatives - not ideal obviously - but it gave us the chance to initially rest and then start looking for work, establish bank accounts, get driver's licences and complete all the other endless mundane tasks that can be so wearing. We'd already got a place for Rheanna (our 13 year old) at a local school so at least we didn't have to do that.

I work in learning disabilities and there was (and still is) heaps of work available. I was offered 2 jobs fairly quickly, but for reasons to be revealed later was unable to take them. Julie is a Psychologist with Australian qualifications and was initially refused recognition by the governing body in the UK (the Health Professions Council.) Being an Aussie Julie refused to take this lying down so after furiously writing case studies, and badgering the hell out of them, she was finally accepted.

Julie applied for about 6 jobs, got interviews for all and was offered 2. She started work last November for the NHS. Unfortunately this is only a maternity position but we're hopeful something will work out before her contract expires. Julie herself will write a piece telling of her adventures!!

Now to our 13 year old daughter Rheanna. I think it was always going to be toughest on her, leaving her friends and everything she knew behind and then having to stay with people she hardly knew. Anyway, as I've said, we'd already got her a place at school before we left Oz, but unfortunately it just didn't work out. Rhe was unable to cope with so much change so suddenly and became too anxious to get to school. It was just too much for her. We tried everything and the school was great but in the end we had to take her out of the education system and I am currently home educating her (hence the reason I was unable to take up the offers of work.) To be honest it's worked out quite well (tip for future returnees try to turn every negative into a positive) Rheanna has had more time to settle without the stress of school and I'm learning stuff too!! Rheanna has even stated she wants to stay in the UK now and wants to try school again this coming September.

Once we had income coming in we were able to rent which has helped us all enormously. Truth to tell we're all a lot happier and contented. It's taken 9 hard months but it's been worth it. We're home to stay.

Thanks for reading. Please feel free to ask any questions.

We'll keep you posted about our adventures.
Old May 6th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Wow, thanks for that! It will ne ver be easy. I'm so looking forward to be back in the UK but at the same time absolutely dreading the huge mountain of logistics. Even though my daughter is only 6, I'm always telling myself that home schooling will always be an option for us if she has problems settling in.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you've got through probably the worst. Sorry to hear that your daughter has had such a hard time, but it looks like she'll bounce back. My 13 year old took a while to settle in here when we moved last year, and I can honestly say, it probably took the best part of a year for me to feel that she was back to her "usual" self and now she has made great progress.

I hope that this all works out for you now that you were brave enough to take the plunge - good luck for the future
Old May 7th 2011, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Bootleg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think teenagers are the toughest problem. I will be returning with a 16yr old and a 13 yr old from dubai in the summer. Neither of them want to go but they are used to moving schools as we have been changing countries every 2 years. You sound like you have done a great job with the home schooling.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
So glad you've got through probably the worst. Sorry to hear that your daughter has had such a hard time, but it looks like she'll bounce back. My 13 year old took a while to settle in here when we moved last year, and I can honestly say, it probably took the best part of a year for me to feel that she was back to her "usual" self and now she has made great progress.

I hope that this all works out for you now that you were brave enough to take the plunge - good luck for the future
I don't think her taking one year to adjust is bad at all. It is a major move for anyone, even for natural-born citizens who are returning.

It took me FIVE years to adjust to the USA and I was 23 when I moved here. Of course, I never liked it and that did not help but, still, I learned to live with it - somehow. I didn't want to leave the UK - not at all - so it might have taken me years to adjust to any other country. If I was going to leave the UK voluntarily it would have been for Spain or France - never ever the USA!

I cried every day for the first year. It was awful.

Last edited by windsong; May 8th 2011 at 4:01 pm.